How decent are these pickups on this Squier Affinity?

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by The Word Reich, May 16, 2018.

1. The Word Reich

The Word Reich Squier Talker

Feb 27, 2018
    Bristol
    I have just bought a Squier Affinity sunburst with a maple fretboard. The previous owner has replaced the scratchplate with a pearloid on with Mighty Mite pickups which I know nothing of. I don't get to try it out for a fortnight as my amp is being repaired. It says Mighty Mite on the visible part of the pickup but nothing else when I opened the guitar up.

Does anyone know anything about these pickups and whether they are much of an improvement on the stock?

Cheers

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Meister

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    They're usually decent and probably a slight improvement over the stock pickups. There are several different models around. Sometimes these are sold as a loaded pickguard and sometimes individually so it can be difficult to determine which you have without photos or more info.

The big question to me is how well the replacement was done. Things like bad grounding or cold solder joints can make a pickup upgrade go wrong. Also, were the pots, caps and switch upgraded or modified at the same time? That can also have an impact on tone.

3. kjmac

kjmac Squier-Meister

Aug 14, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    I just bought a Mighty Mite Tele neck and it is of surprisingly good quality. If their pickups are anywhere near as good as their necks, they are probably pretty good and a very good value.

4. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I picked up an NC which had it's pups replaced with Mighty Mites. I removed the loaded pickguard and put it up on ebay for $50. A month later, there wasn't a single watcher, and I wound up giving it away to a buddy.

5. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    Wait until you get your amp back and decide for yourself if they sound good. :D

Fret Cheese and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  6. Fret Cheese

Fret Cheese Squier-Meister

Sep 10, 2016
    Bordeaux
    Let your ears decide. Objectively they are unlikely to be much better than the stocks. People swap pickups for all kind reasons both real and imaginary