Hotone - Heart Attack

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by Eddie, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Eddie

Eddie Squier-holic

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Any thoughts?

http://www.hotoneaudio.com/products/nanolegacy/Amplifier1/2016/1114/183.html

Tiny little guy based on the Mesa Boogie Rectifier. I'm interested. Reviews seem very positive.

No clean tone though.

I'm meeting a CL seller to pick up a Blackstar HT-1 on Saturday/Sunday. I may hold off until I can check this little Heart Attack out. Or maybe I'll just get both.

My old Line 6 died. I wound up giving it to a buddy. But now I'm remorseful ... I could have just turned the Line 6 into an 8" cabinet for the Heart Attack. Frak ...

2. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    I tested the Purple Wind right after they came out, but it was noisy. I ordered the Mojo Diamond instead. I got it for Christmas a year ago.
    I am running a V/Amp 2 in front of it, controlling the volume from there. The amp itself runs with the volume maxed and set to 12 o'clock on all other settings usually. I am running that into a Fender 412.
    It is my main practice amp, and the only time it isn't in the loop is when I need more volume, and replace it with the Valve Junior. With the pre-amp in front, that isn't very often.
    When I unpacked the Mojo Diamond, I found the cute little amp, a cord, and then a power supply box and lead. The chord plugs into the wall, and then into the end of the power supply box. When I turned it on, I was disappointed to find it was noisy also. Fortunately, I remembered something I had read online, so I went back and forcefully seated the cord into the power supply, and then isolated the power supply from the other lines and cords. Noise problem fixed.
    I suspect that the Purple Wind I tested had the same problem.
    I have played through the Mojo Diamond for hours a day for a year. Flip the little switch, a couple of seconds later you have full volume and it is ready to go.
    Only warning I would add, is that the amp doesn't get messed with much beyond flipping the switch, so I can't really say anything about the durability of the controls. I do all of that in front of the amp.
    I can take the foot switch out of my V/Amp bag, put the amp and power supply in its place, and walk out with my guitar in one hand, and the entire rest of my rig over my shoulder on a strap, if I don't have to take a speaker cabinet with me.
    I am not the person to judge the Heart Attack, but my teacher wants one, and he is one of those guys who turns the gain all the way up before he turns the amp on.
    Based on the Mojo Diamond, they are pretty nice little five watt amps, but the power supply/cord that comes with them can cause interference and is best isolated. That is assuming that they are still using the same power supply a year later.
    Hope that helps.

Eddie likes this.
  3. Eddie

Eddie Squier-holic

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Thanks for the write-up. I really appreciate it.

I love the high gain on the Heart Attack.

I had a Dual Rectifier 20 years ago. It disappointed because I couldn't crank it loud enough in my apartment to appreciate the full effect. I had it hooked up to half a dozen rack mounted effects and still couldn't get the tone I wanted. I wound up selling it.

I think the Heart Attack may be my thing. High gain, heavy Dual Rectifier distortion at a lower (reasonable) volume. $100 isn't too bad.

My wife is making me spend $1000 on roof, bathroom, and window repairs. What's another $100 amp? I think I'll pick up the Blackstar HT-1 as well. I don't have an extra cabinet though. I hear the Hotone mini-enclosure isn't that good.

Ahnlaashock likes this.
  4. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    Only you know how much noise you can make. I have never used mine with less than at least one 12 inch monitor, but if I made 100 decibels all the time and only shut down after nine, the only thing that would happen, would be that I would go deaf! I can make as much noise as I wish. A 210 maybe?
    I can't tell you about the Heart Attack, but with the Mojo Diamond, with the amp dimed, and the gain, bass, mids, and treble all in the 12 o'clock position, if I turn the pre-amp down, I don't even bother to switch the amp off. even tho that cabinet is beside me. My computer makes as much noise as the amp does. Of course, as the gain goes up, like on any amp, so does the noise.
    The Mojo Diamond doesn't have what you would really call gain. Drive or boost is more like what it does if you crank on the gain. It isn't supposed to tho.
    Fortunately, I have the rectified high gain model on the V/AMP for when I am in that mood. In my case, I am playing pickups that are rude enough all by themselves so they don't need all that gain most of the time.
    You might want to check out the Purple Wind also if you like the high gain sound. It is a Marshall emulation.
    You have a nice day!

Eddie likes this.
  5. jskeen

jskeen Squier-holic

Feb 9, 2016
    Texas
    I like the concept of these little amps. I've had a Purple wind for a while, and it does a reasonable job of what it's advertised to do. It's best pushed close to max, and controlled mostly with something else, I would agree. But you gotta remember each version is a one trick pony. Trying to get something else outta it is an exercise in frustration.

I mixed and matched mine with several different cabs, from 4x12 at 16 and 4 ohms, a 2x12 at 8, and ultimately settled on a 1x12 with a fairly efficient, low wattage 4 ohm jensen alnico driver as my cab of choice for it. YMMV on that.

Eddie and Ahnlaashock like this.
  6. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    I think the Mojo Diamond sounds better on a 4 ohm cab than on the 16 I am using it with, so I agree completely on a 4 ohm cab.

Eddie likes this.
  7. pirate19

pirate19 Squier Talker

Nov 23, 2011
    Chicago
    I have a Purple Wind and a Heart Attack. Both are excellent amps for the price and for what they do: essentially "amp-in-a-box" in an amp, if that makes sense. I would highly recommend the Heart Attack

Eddie likes this.
  8. Eddie

Eddie Squier-holic

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I really like the online demos of the Heart Attack. But I need a speaker cabinet. A 1x12 would be perfect for my mancave. Been surfing CL. Made an offer for a trade which was turned down.

I'll keep looking. It's part of the fun. :)

9. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-holic

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    how would these sound with an 8 ohm 1X10 ? It's a Jensen Vibranto from 1950 or 1960....

Eddie likes this.
  10. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    They do fine with any cab. The one made for them is about a 5 incher, and I am running a 4 x 12.

Eddie likes this.
  11. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    Pirate, can you elaborate on the Purple Wind? I am trying to decide between it and the British Invasion.

Eddie likes this.