Homemade pedal boards...

Discussion in 'The Buzz Box' started by squierTony, Feb 16, 2019.

1. rbh32

rbh32 Squier-Meister

Feb 12, 2018
    Valley, AL
    Made this one about a week ago. Just happened to see an upside down crate in Walmart and the idea popped in my head. The riser pieces and the front piece are leftover pieces from when I cut the bottom off of the crate. BE45B3C2-147D-452F-82BA-08023ECC76A5.jpeg

BeepBoop, Flying Z, dbrian66 and 3 others like this.
  2. JSutter

JSutter Squier Talker

May 22, 2019
    Maine
    My first was a scrap piece of paneling covered in duct tape with the pedals taped to it. Then I got some fabric and Velcro to "up grade" it. At some point I taped them into a roll around travel case.

[​IMG]

I "made" a board for my band mate by ripping the lid off my old toy box. He spray painted it all crazy. Slapped on some Velcro and called it done. It looked awful.

Many years later I actually built a board. Big piece of MDF, aluminum angle, carpet, handles and feet. I made a riser from an old crate. I made a second for a buddy.

[​IMG]

It's a little rought now.

Screenshot_2019-06-15-21-15-29.png

I also have a small one with a built-in riser. It fits a wah and 4 pedals. Came from scrap 1/4"? mdf then painted.

[​IMG]

Flying Z, rolie, dbrian66 and 4 others like this.
  3. LarsN

LarsN Squier-Meister

May 13, 2019
    Austin, TX
    This was made with some scrap from the garage. Couple of 2x4s, and some wood that was used as packing material for a safe door.

[​IMG]

4. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I made one out of a bath duck board, I got it for free and took about 30mins to convert, 20190505_102108.jpg

BeepBoop, Flying Z, rbh32 and 4 others like this.
  5. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Really cool! Can you give a bit more info on how you proceeded?

Flying Z and dbrian66 like this.
  6. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Squier-Meister

Jul 13, 2018
    USA
    [​IMG]

I've been looking around for something that I could use to mount my flanger, amp footswitch, and looper as a back up pedal board. I found this for $1.99 at Goodwill! Space on the left is for a future wah pedal if I find a good deal on one. I need some work in wiring them though. I have space for a volume pedal on the right if I chance on one too!

Gotta love thrift shops!

7. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Crappie fishing.
    I guess I need to brush the cobwebs out of the shop and get busy. Awesome pedal boards here....:)

8. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Flying Z and littlebadboy like this.
  9. littlebadboy

Jul 13, 2018
    USA
    My 2nd built years ago:

I wanted a pedal board to put my mfx, looper & its DIY footswitch, their power supplies, and future acquisitions. My plan was a pedal board at least 36" x 18". Pedaltrain has a 32 x 16 for $150. I certainly can't afford that. So I thought of building one.

Bought some wood (pine) at Home Depot and had them cut them to my specified sizes. I used 4 pieces of 1" x 6' and 2 pieces of 3/4" x 36".
    [​IMG]

I put them together for a mock-up on how it would look like...
    [​IMG]
    It came up smaller than I planned. I went to a friend to borrow a tool to cut wood. He had a cool miter saw which I have never used before (came from a 3rd world country). I got trigger happy and cut everything so they would have a consistent length. Apparently, they were not able to cut it to accurate lengths at home Depot.

I used finishing nails to put them together and them screwed them together with the 6 x 1 1/2 sheet metal screws. I pre-drilled holes and used a bigger bit to make a shallow hole to make the screw heads flush.
    [​IMG]

I tried out how my then toys would look like on the board...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Installed some rubber feet. 20 pieces of them on the underside and sides. Now, it can stand on its sides too without scratching the floor and itself. It won't slide on a hard surface too!

[​IMG]

Since its just practically screwed together, it was easy to dismantle and reconfigure. I made it more compact enough to just fit what I need.

[​IMG]

I will be reconfiguring it again over the summer. I'd like to hide a power conditioner underneath. It probably needs to be higher. I wonder what are the drawbacks if my pedalboard was about 3" high...

10. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    20190616_140922.jpg 20190616_140922.jpg 20190616_140900.jpg
    yeah, sure can. wasnt really much to it tbh. (these boards retail here in the u.k for about £10) only proper bit of work i had to do was raise the front up using a strip of scrap wood I had in the shed so I had room to mount a power supply to the underside and add a carry handle,and some rubber feet which I had from a scrapped amp..Ill add some pictures in a bit.

then it was only a matter of trimming a few spars off(i think i removed 3) to have the finished size

"Sorry, dont know why it is showing the same pic twice but it wont delete to edit)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    Flying Z and rbh32 like this.
  11. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia
    I had a laugh when I spied this on a craigslist advert ... shag baby !
    ShaggyBoard1.jpg

12. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    So what would be the essential elements of a good pedal board design? I've always just left mine sprawled across the floor and never bothered building a board. I'm thinking about it now. If you could do it again what would you make sure was a part of the design and what would you delete from your current design?

Flying Z likes this.
  13. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    The only thing I care about is that it's just big enough. The reason I used a glass, then later plexiglass custom board for so long is that it only fit my tuner, volume pedal, chorus, distortion, and overdrive. When I played bass actively, that was all I ever needed.

Bassman96 likes this.
  14. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Squier-Meister

Feb 25, 2017
    Rhode Island USA
    [/ATTACH] 20190620_120831.jpg It started life as a top for a cedar chest that broke IMAG0578.jpg And after a couple hours in the yard turned into this 20180408_132216.jpg
    Then I got my katana and I'm down to this

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    strat_strummer and Best1989 like this.
  15. littlebadboy

Jul 13, 2018
    USA
    Yep, been busy...

I reconfigured my diy pedalboard from this...

[​IMG]

To this!...

[​IMG]

Ummm... what's the difference you might ask?

Well, I added this!...

[​IMG]

In case you didn't notice... what did I "add" exactly you may ask?

This!...

[​IMG]

I incorporated a power conditioner on the pedalboard hidden underneath all the pedals. I found the power conditioner on Facebook Marketplace for $20.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am very pleased with my project! What's great about using wood was that it is easy to reconfigure! Unscrew, cut here and there, re-screw... and voila! Reconfigured!

I'm not sure why I'm spending time doing this. I don't even gig out anymore. However, it's nice to have them in one place! But, the GT-100 is not fixed (velcro'd) on the board because sometimes it's the only thing I bring around when I need to play somewhere.

Anyways... for the meantime... Let's light her up! Weeee weeee weeee :headbang:

[​IMG]

The only thing I don't like is this...

[​IMG]

It looks messy to me and the cables look so strained. Any suggestions? I wonder if those saucer type right angles are shorter than these ones? And, I wonder if they would fit side by side considering that those saucer-types are wider?

I hope you like it!

Best1989 and strat_strummer like this.
  16. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Crappie fishing.
    These all look awesome guys.

5ofeight likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice