HNWSD - Happy New White Strat Day

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by rorygman, Jan 27, 2019.

1. rorygman

rorygman Squier-Nut

May 9, 2017
    Barcelona
    Yayyyy - Happy New White Strat Day! For my 500th post on this esteemed forum, thanks guys! ... you made me do it. :rolleyes: :D There was a bad GAS attack came over me with that "Show me your white strats" thread ... I've had my eyes on this one for sale locally for a little while.
    I only picked this up this morning, it's here sitting alongside my black and red SE's :

IMG_2367.JPG

It's a CXS 11 SE in pretty OK condition, just a couple of very minor dings, and a couple of scratches on the back which will polish out ... everything works fine, nice tone - I paid 80 Euros including a trem arm and reasonable Fender gig bag. It really needs a major clean up, the strings look nearly as old as the guitar.

However, there are only two screws left holding the back plate on ... maybe they were simply borrowed for another guitar. I just had the plate off and nothing looks amiss, standard cheap block, all clean though dusty. (Anyone know where I can get extra screws for the backplate?! Got an ebay link??)

Think I'll just leave it stock for now and after a good clean up I'll put a new set of d'Addario 10-46's on it.
    Have a good day all, cheers rorygman :cool:

2. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Congrats. Looks fantastic !!!

3. YOSTINATOR

YOSTINATOR Squier-Meister

Feb 8, 2016
    Utah
    It's White... Es Bueno

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

4. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Get the necks screws for the MIM Stratocaster. Slightly longer than Squier neck screws. The SE is full body.

I'm sure GM can give you the exact lengths. As for me, my brain is full. ha ha

5. rorygman

rorygman Squier-Nut

May 9, 2017
    Barcelona
    Thanks @Eddie, though I didn't mean the neck plate screws, I meant the little tiny screws that hold the back trem plate - six little ones :)

dbrian66 and Las Palmas Norte like this.
  6. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    Are they smaller than the pickguard screws? Sometimes they are, sometimes they're the same.

7. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    HNGD!! I think u need a SB SE now to complete the quad!

8. rorygman

rorygman Squier-Nut

May 9, 2017
    Barcelona
    Thanks @jjudas,
    Yes, they are smaller and shorter than pickguard screws ... about 9.5mm (3/8") long, and thinner gauge.

dbrian66 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  9. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Happy new white rhino SE day!

Some non-North America members speak of being jealous of NA guitar deals. I'm jealous of your red SE!

I noticed your black and red have 22 frets and the 12th fret markers are wider than NA SEs. I wonder if some Euro sold SEs also were 21 fret such as your rhino, or if it started life outside of Europe?

10. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-Nut

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
  11. Looks right at home with it's siblings … great find. Are they as difficult to come by in Europe as they are here? As you're aware, that 22 fret red is one never offered in North America. Nice find !!!

Cheers, Barrie.

12. rorygman

rorygman Squier-Nut

May 9, 2017
    Barcelona
    @Las Palmas Norte, thanks Barrie, yes they are fairly easy to find here in Spain but at a premium price, usually 150 Euros plus. Not so easy to get hold of in UK, IMHO, though plenty of white Bullets and Affys. I nearly snagged a white Squier California series last year, (the Far East equivalent of the SE, I think) at the same price 80 Euros, but it slipped away.
    The old strings are off now, body all cleaned up, fingerboard degunked and cleaned up with Music-Nomad F-One oil. :D
    Cheers,
    rorygman :cool:

13. The white SE I got was a closet dweller and had seen very little use. Any plans for mods?

Cheers, Barrie.

dbrian66 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  14. rorygman

rorygman Squier-Nut

May 9, 2017
    Barcelona
    Update: In response to @Las Palmas Norte query regarding possible plans for mods, I've spent the last two weeks thinking about this white SE and whether to mod it or to leave it stock for now. I have not been happy with the bridge really ... it has been positioned on the body so that the pickguard is hard-up against it (see photo, maybe about 1.5mm closer than it should be) such that the pickguard is very slightly buckled. (Apologies for the disgusting crud haha).

DSC03150.JPG

I originally thought, when I first looked at it, that it was just transparent plastic film remnants on the guard. Having removed the bridge, I compared it with the old bridge I had taken off my black SE last year and the 6 holes are indeed a different distance from the front edge, by just over 1/16". See photo, older bridge on left (yes, I know it's not a very technical photo :p)

DSC03157.JPG

So I replaced the white strat's bridge unit with the older bridge I'd taken off from my CAE SE (it weighs 237g, which is over 10% heavier than the newer one) and everything then lined up perfectly, as in the photo below! Has anyone else experienced that with a later model CXS SE bridge, where it's too close to the edge of the pickguard?

DSC03159.JPG

Also, just visible, the volume knob is right up against the pickup mounting screw (it's actually just touching it!)

Anyway, I was thinking of replacing the bridge with a vintage one. Then I got to thinking I might replace all the current hardware with gold equivalents - I think that gold hardware would look pretty great with white ... but I know it's a relatively expensive thing to do.

Have been researching bridges and think a gold version of the drop-in vintage trem bridge will work fine - the one with the 6 screws, the PW29 block and the Fender-stamped bent saddles (the Fender part number for the chrome one is 007-1014-049 - thanks Barrie). The Fender parts site doesn't seem to show any other colour than chrome but after a bit of research I found the equivalent gold one (it's Fender part number 005-9561-000) - here's an example on ebay:
    http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148356&icep_item=142399302596
    Only thing is, it looks like it comes with a fairly low quality block. I thought about getting a GFS brass trem block but the shipping cost for me would exceed the cost of the unit, as they are only available direct from USA, GFS confirmed there's no stock / dealer in Europe.

I've been looking at gold drop-in replacement tuners and found these, has anyone used these tuners and can recommend?:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D531XC7/?tag=squiertalk-20

I might replace the pickguard electronics and pick-ups with an RRG loaded unit (same colour) but I'm going to leave that for now as a possible phase 2 (I have to budget this somehow!). Anyway, the guitar has clearly been played quite a bit, judging from the frets, which suggests it may well be a good 'un and the tone was indeed pretty good before I ripped the ancient strings off it.
    Cheers, rorygman :cool:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  15. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    HNGD! Congrats on the white SE. Love the red one too. Enjoy the guitars.

16. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

I have just under 200.00 in this - guitar was 110.00 !

DSC03162.JPG

Congrats !

17. rorygman

rorygman Squier-Nut

May 9, 2017
    Barcelona
    Hey, thanks Ken! That's great encouragement right there! Apart from the extra costs haha - @Kenneth Mountain - can you confirm what brand of gold tuners you used ... were they the 10mm straight drop in or did you have to do any adjustment, narrowing with inserts or widening out the holes?
    Or, is there maybe an old S-T thread I can refer to??

Edit:
    PS - no worries, Ken, I found it here

Cheers,
    rorygman :cool:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  18. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Kenneth Mountain, I love your mods! There are classy and they bring out the guitar's colour really well.

19. Kenneth Mountain

:D:D

dbrian66 and snivlem like this.
  20. Kenneth Mountain

don't embarrass me yo ! ! call me Ken ! ! ! thanks - I stole all these ideas from here ! ! ! !

BlueSquirrel and dbrian66 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice