HNGD Gone Horribly Wrong

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by WNCStratman, Sep 10, 2019.

1. BuddyLee

BuddyLee Squier Talker

Aug 30, 2019
    Liberty SC
    I have had bad experiences with SGW. I bought a vintage KitchenAid model 4c which has a Pyrex glass bowl and the dingleberry who packed the mixer left the bowl screwed in and attached to the machine base, then simply plopped the assembled mixer into a box and then put that box inside another box and shipped it. The bowl tore loose from the mixer base and shattered into bits and the shards acted like a blender inside the box for the 3k mile trip. I was furious and when they offered to refund a portion I got even angrier and told them they absolutely destroyed an antique beyond repair and that it was 100% their fault. They refunded my money.

Then the same Goodwill shipped me a Lincoln Viking welding helmet about a week or two later which was part of a tool lot. They packed 2 chipping hammers, a Vice Grip, and a striker loose inside the helmet with the Auto Darkening cartridge. I sent them more pictures of the unboxing and asked them if they knew how many antiques and electronics that particular employee had destroyed during their career at SGW. They refunded my money entirely again. Aside from the headgear being broken in one place, the helmet still worked and I use it as my MIG rig at work and save my Miller Digital Elite for TIG only. I didn't even ask for the refund, but I have a feeling I wasn't the only person raising hell with them about horrible packing around that time.

If the description from SGW didn't describe the damage and it arrived other than described, I bet you can get money back. Goodwill is a scam anyway. They only started their Job Connection centers after people started questioning their billionaire owner about where all the money was going, and who the "charity" was benefitting.

WNCStratman and -r3- like this.
  2. Best1989

Best1989 Squier-Nut

Apr 25, 2019
    Arequipa
    Man, I can imagine the feeling when you found out. At least it will serve to give you some experience with that repair job, and hopefully she will be working fine after you finish.

dbrian66, Dave M and WNCStratman like this.
  3. pflug

pflug Squier-Meister

Oct 11, 2013
    Michigan
    I've really just shopped for guitars and amps on SGW but have purchased quite a few and every item has come almost ridiculously over-packed. The norm for me is to get a dirty, already scuffed up SE strat wrapped in yards of bubble wrap in a box three times larger than necessary packed completely full with material- at least the cardboard packing is becoming more popular, nothing like trying to pull an upright guitar out of an oversized box filled with styrofoam peanuts

Davey, dbrian66 and WNCStratman like this.
  4. wickedtools

wickedtools Squier-holic

May 16, 2010
    west texas
    It’s an easy fix just do add the angled bracket like @Las Palmas Norte suggested for added bracing. I’ve done a few repairs like that. ;)

dbrian66 and -r3- like this.
  5. Dave M

Dave M Squier-Nut

Feb 27, 2017
    Mira Loma, CA
    See.....Now Go Forth and Make it your Own !!!!! o_O

WNCStratman and dbrian66 like this.
  6. Chubbles

Chubbles Squier-Meister

Mar 6, 2018
    Philadelphia PA
    I think I'll have some fun and buy a few dozen dishes and a hammer. We'll see.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice