HNGD Gone Horribly Wrong

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by WNCStratman, Sep 10, 2019.

1. WNCStratman

WNCStratman Squier-Meister

Aug 21, 2019
    North Carolina
    3DC3641A-D41D-4238-91DF-DA6B55D75F95.jpeg Well,
    I was really stoked when I saw fed ex delivered my SGW Peavey Raptor Plus EXP a day early. As I opened up the box and unwrapped the guitar I could feel my heart racing, I was so excited. Sunburst check, hey the body looks in pretty decent shape, neck, fretboard and headstock all look good, a little dirty but not bad. Pickguard had some pen scribbles on it where it looked like a 2 year old went to town with a ball point pen but no biggie. Hey, I can clean all that up. That and some tape residue on the pickguard. Old ass strings but hey, I was gonna change those out anyway. Then I saw something that made my heart drop. The bridge/trem assembly was sitting up pretty high on one side and level with the body on the other. Nah, it can’t be, surely this body isn’t busted at the bridge. Took all the old strings off, took the back cover off and loosened up the claw screws enough to get the springs off, and commenced to taking out all the bridge screws. As soon as I lifted the bridge/trem assembly my heart sank. Yep, I’ve got a guitar with a huge split in the body right at the bridge. Oh yeah, and the volume pot is broke.
    I was hoping to have something at least to bang around on and play while I work on my Squier over the next little while. Not gonna lie, I’m pretty bummed. Oh yeah, and the nut it longer than the fretboard, isn’t glued in and is broke right at the low E string.
    Not how I pictured this day, not at all.

2. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
  3. WNCStratman

Aug 21, 2019
    North Carolina
    Just went and picked a bottle up haha.

dbrian66, Viking, -r3- and 1 other person like this.
  4. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    Where did you buy this? If it's ebay and you used paypal, you have tons of recourse

A new nut isn't that difficult, and that body damage can be glued too......

dbrian66 and WNCStratman like this.
  5. WNCStratman

Aug 21, 2019
    North Carolina
    SGW, and I know it’s just the nature of the beast. Luck of the draw with that site and unfortunately I got a guitar that it’s gonna take some work to get right. Guess I’m getting some good experience with this though and at least I don’t have very much tied up in it.

dbrian66, drewcp and Guitarmageddon like this.
  6. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

SGW=Shop Goodwill

dbrian66, JurnyWannaBe and drewcp like this.
  7. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    It was shopgoodwill

dbrian66 and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  8. -r3-

-r3- Squier-holic

Jan 28, 2016
    NC Piedmont
    You can email SGW w that pic & ask if they'll refund a portion of your money. It won't be much, but maybe enough for a bottle of wood glue if you don't already have one. I have yet to need to do a glue repair, but have read time & time again that it's actually stronger after gluing than it was before ! Is the nut broken in 2 pieces, or is one side of the low E groove just chipped away and missing?

dbrian66, WNCStratman and drewcp like this.
  9. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

Not sure if it's just the pic angle but something looks seriously misaligned with that bridge/pickup route and the loose piece of wood.

Davey and dbrian66 like this.
  10. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    post deleted - posted in wrong thread by mistake

dbrian66 and drewcp like this.
  11. WNCStratman

Aug 21, 2019
    North Carolina
    Ain’t even worth emailing them for a few bucks lol. I already picked up a bottle of wood glue and I’m working on it currently. I appreciate the tip though. The nut is broken in two pieces.

dbrian66, Triple Jim and drewcp like this.
  12. WNCStratman

Aug 21, 2019
    North Carolina
    It’s the way the body is split at the bridge. Also I took the pic at a weird angle too haha.

dbrian66 and drewcp like this.
  13. John Slinger

John Slinger Squier-Meister

Apr 26, 2019
    Greenville
    And another reason I have yet to buy a guitar I didn’t go pick up and check out in person.
    Good luck on repairing that. I hope it works out for you.

14. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    It might be worth it to them to know that their carrier effed up though.

15. I don't think I've ever seen six screw damage like that … two point, yes.
    It can be repaired. In this case I used white glue and the a metal corner bracket to strengthen the damaged area.
    Covered with shielding paint. I was also able to get a matching color from Testors and touch up the surface (pic is prior to touch up).

Standard-01.jpg
    Standard-02.jpg

Cheers, Barrie.

so1om, dbrian66, fattboyzz and 5 others like this.
  16. WNCStratman

Aug 21, 2019
    North Carolina
    Same, I’ve never seen a six screw this jacked up either. At this point I’m doing the best I can with wood glue and a clamp. I will put it back together, clean it up, glue the nut, throw some strings on it, plug it in and see what it does. Worse case scenario I’ve got a wall hanger that I paid $67 with shipping and all. I’ve lost a hell of a lot more money on stuff over the years lol. Either way, once I clean it up and polish it it would still look awesome hanging on the wall of my study.

dbrian66 likes this.
  17. WNCStratman

Aug 21, 2019
    North Carolina
    I highly doubt it was handling damage. That thing was bundled up in a ton of packing and multiple layers of bubble wrap. Box wasn’t damaged at all either. UPS are the usual suspects for rough handling of packages lol.

dbrian66 likes this.
  18. kniah

kniah Squier-Meister

Jan 30, 2019
    Waltham, MA
    Sorry to see this! If the neck is good maybe the start of a Peavey partscaster build? $67 shipped for a good neck ain't bad!

19. Chubbles

Chubbles Squier-Meister

Mar 6, 2018
    Philadelphia PA
    The nut is kind of easy. Heck, I did it with youtube videos.

20. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Goodwill does use a large portion of the money they collect for good purposes. More than a lot of charities. When you buy something from them you're essentially donating to their causes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice