Hi everyone! My introduction.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by stratman420, Mar 20, 2019.

1. stratman420

stratman420 Squier-Meister

Mar 14, 2019
    Santiago, Chile
    Hi everyone! Well, I joined this forum and plan on being active so I might as well introduce myself. My name is Patricio, I'm 29 years old but have been playing guitar since I was 13. I also play drums, bass, and keyboards, but guitar has been my main passion.

My first guitar was a black Squier bullet, hardtail, with just one humbucker and one volume control that I got at Guitar Center in 2002 for $99. I don't remember much about that guitar, but it was very light weight and a very good guitar to learn with. I would stay up all night looking up guitar tabs of my favorite songs, etc... Years later one of my band members (with my permission) smashed it... The stupid things we sometimes do as kids... smh...

In 2003 I saved up my money and got myself the Fender Tom Delonge signature Stratocaster in daphne blue. At the time it was my dream guitar and Blink 182 was my favorite band. (Again, the stupid things we are into as kids, lol). I enjoyed the guitar a lot, except I didn't play it much at first, because it was so special to me.

In 2004 or 2005, I started listening to heavier music, specifically influenced by Zakk Wylde, I wanted a Les Paul, so I sold my Tom Delonge strat to a friend for $250 and used the rest of the money to buy a used Epiphone Les Paul Custom Black Beauty. It was a good guitar, but the pots were horrible, and it was basically falling apart, so I traded it for a BC Rich Warlock from the 80's which was later stolen from my garage :/

Following the loss of my guitars, I mainly focused on playing drums in local bands and had a great deal of fun doing so, until the bands broke up, and friends and bandmates moved away. It was at this time that I purchased myself a used Ibanez Iceman with active EMGs and a cheap used solid state Marshall half stack and began playing guitar again. My guitar was stolen by a "friend" and I fell into a deep depression. I went years without playing, until in 2010 I purchased a really nice Yamaha acoustic from my friend's grandfather.

In 2001 I moved to Chile because I had found my biological family on facebook (I was adopted), and it was always my dream to get to know them and get to know my country. I had some low end classical guitars to play with until I decided to buy myself a decent Dean guitar and a nice Orange amp. My Dean is nice, but I prefer to keep it in Drop B tuning, but I play all genres, so for years I wanted a strat. As I mentioned in my thread "My new Squier Standard Mystery Guitar" almost all instruments in Chile are double the price as they are in America because of import taxes, so a MIM Fender that would cost me less than $1000 USD would cost me around $2000 USD, and Squiers that would be around 2-300 USD were 4-600 USD so I didn't really have the money at the time, but recently I discovered Facebook marketplace and the idea of buying a used instrument, especially a nice Squier really appealed to me.

I forgot to mention, apart from my first guitar being a Squier, my first bass was actually a Squier Jazz Bass, one of the higher end ones, but I forget the model. It was a great bass, and I actually preferred it to my Fender Mark Hoppus signature bass that I also had around the same time, so I always knew Squiers could be good.

Today I purchased a two tone sunburst Squier Stratocaster, which I made a thread about. Still not sure if it's a partscaster or what, but it's a great guitar that plays like butter, and I couldn't be more happier with my purchase!

cool gouhl, drewcp, rorygman and 13 others like this.
  2. squierbilly

squierbilly Dr. Squier

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    Welcome,, hope your fortune's improve.. smart moves like joining squier talk will help turn things around..
    Your bass may have been a CV.. or possibly a pro tone if it was translucent red with gold hardware..

3. stratman420

Mar 14, 2019
    Santiago, Chile
    Thank you for the welcome. I plan on sticking around and also adding more Squier's to my arsenal in the future. I'm really interested in the Jim Root telecaster.

As for my bass, I bought it new in 2003 from Musician's Friend. I recall it had the gold squier logo and said JAZZ BASS in the 70's font. It was 3 tone sunburst. Don't recall any more information than that, but it wasn't an affinity, because I actually purchased an affinity in metallic blue, another jazz bass years later as a backup, and while the quality wasn't nearly the same, it was still a good quality bass.

squierbilly and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  4. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Welcome. I'm pretty sure I'm adopted also, but my parents deny it. They even have these fake, doctored pictures of me at birth.

Do you miss the US?

5. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Welcome aboard, hoss! We've got some stuff in common, that's for sure... I think you'll find that us SquierNuts are pretty laid back, friendly guys, who don't judge as much and we're actually not afraid to work on our own stuff (because it doesn't cost a small FORTUNE) so alotta the guys around here are EXTREMELY knowledgeable, AND willing to help out beginners... Far moreso than some of those "corksniffer" forums...
    When I got here a year ago, I couldn't even change my own strings, lol... Now I can take a guitar completely apart and work on every single part... You'll see, lol...
    But we can be a bad influence and horrible "YEAH... OF COURSE YOU NEED THAT GUITAR!!!" enablers, lol...

6. stratman420

Mar 14, 2019
    Santiago, Chile
    I miss certain aspects of the US, mostly speaking English, and my friends and bandmates. There aren't very many opportunities in Chile for bands to "make it", and even producers and studio musicians don't make as much as they would in the states, so in that aspect, yes.

There are pros and cons, as with everything in life, but for me the pros outweigh the cons. I would love to visit the states again, and my adoptive family wants me to move back, but with the whole political climate BS going on and all the issues, I'm kind of glad I'm not there.

7. waynes world

waynes world Squier-Meister

Jan 27, 2019
    Saskatoon
  8. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Hi and welcome to S-T.

9. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Welcome to S-T. Thanks for sharing your story with it. It was a long and winding road, but it brought you here.

10. Big tuna

Big tuna Squier-holic

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
  11. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    Welcome to Squier-Talk @stratman420 (Patricio)!

Thanks for sharing your backstory :) (another Zakk fan here!)

12. newscaster

newscaster Squier Talker

Aug 23, 2018
    Nevada
  13. Welcome to the gang here at S.T. Sounds like you've had an interesting go at things already in life. Post pics if you get a chance.
    Cheers, Barrie.

Kenneth Mountain and stratman420 like this.
  14. stratman420

Mar 14, 2019
    Santiago, Chile
    Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! And La Palmas Norte, I posted many pictures of my new Strat in my thread "My New Squier Standard Mystery Strat" in the Stratocaster forum. I plan on uploading some new videos to my YouTube channel (I haven't uploaded in years) of myself playing either an original or some covers. I really love my new (used) guitar!

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  15. stratman420

Mar 14, 2019
    Santiago, Chile
    If anyone is interested, here is my YouTube channel where I upload videos of myself playing covers, as well as some original songs. I haven't uploaded since 2015, but now that I have my Squier I plan on making many more videos. All videos are non-monetized, as it's nearly impossible to make money off of YouTube anymore with AdSense and all, so feel free to watch with ad-blocker or whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ScarredMusic/videos

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  16. Geoff75

Geoff75 Squier Talker

Mar 17, 2019
    Ibiza, Spain
    Welcome, Patricio

Kenneth Mountain and stratman420 like this.
  17. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice