HH Wiring Diagram help with VLX54 switch!

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by littlebadboy, Jul 10, 2019.

1. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Squier-Meister

Jul 13, 2018
    USA
    Hello all! I have a strat type guitar that I would like to wire it HH with 1 vol pot like this:

[​IMG]

Should be easy... except that it has a VLX54 switch which looks like this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I saw this, but I don't understand it.

[​IMG]

Help please!

Thanks!

so1om likes this.
  2. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    If you look at the switch from the bottom with the white part on your left. The lugs will number 1,2,3,C,C,1,2,3 think of it as 2 sets of 3 with 2 common lugs (c). So looking at the diagram you want to jumper than wire to the tip of the jack lugs 1,3,1,3. The neck pickup goes to the first lug 2 and the bridge goes to the second lug 2.

Edit*. Just realized I made an error with the commons on the diagram...

Wire 1,2,2,3 to jack and neck goes to common 1 and bridge goes to common 2.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  3. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Grr... I should have had more coffee this morning lol.. they go to volume 3 not the jack lol. Off to make more go juice now....

littlebadboy, wonkenstein and drewcp like this.
  4. littlebadboy

Jul 13, 2018
    USA
    I take it back! It's a VLX53 5-way!

[​IMG]

drewcp likes this.
  5. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Still the wiring I mentioned above will remain the same. Lugs 1,2,2,3 are all jumpered to Volume 3. Neck to c1 and bridge to c2.

I guess technically it is 1,3,3,5 since the lugs are considered 1,3,5,c,c,1,3,5 but 123 makes more sense in my head... Not to try and confuse you lol.

6. downrazor11

downrazor11 Squier Talker

Mar 3, 2019
    Iowa
    Ok, so what do you want to happen with the switch positions? Traditionally HH guitars use 3-way switches, unless they do coil splitting and such, in which case they have custom switches (like the Ibanez 3PS1SC5 switch)..

From the switch's down position:
    position 1: bridge
    position 2: bridge and neck
    position 3: neck
    position 4: ?neck?
    position 5: ?neck?

I would probably just pick up a new 3-way switch. But if you want to use the switch you have, you need to decide whether you want pos4 and 5 to have neck pickup or nothing (or ONE of the humbuckers can be coil-split in position 5 but it gets complicated)..

What pickups are you putting in the guitar? I can help you with a diagram but I need a little more info..

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  7. littlebadboy

Jul 13, 2018
    USA
    The guitar was an SSH that I converted to HH. It came with the VLX53 5-way switch.

I was thinking of doing:
    Full bridge humbucker
    Split bridge
    Split bridge+Split neck
    Splitnexk
    Full neck humbucker

I wanted to keep the original switch but since it seems complicated, I'll just order a newer switch.

Thanks everyone!

To give you an idea what this guitar is, it's actually my guitar bass project. Years ago, my son was learning to play the drums. When we tried to jam, it sounded boring without a bassist. So, I thought of a way to play guitar and bass at the same time. This is what came up:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Middle pickup has only 2 poles on 5th and 6th string. It has its own output which goes to an octave pedal to play bass while playing the normal guitar which has its own output.

I just thought of upgrading the normal guitar pups because the stock didn't sound so good.

[​IMG]

I also placed the 2 pole pickup in a cover so that it won't look weird.

8. downrazor11

downrazor11 Squier Talker

Mar 3, 2019
    Iowa
    That's a great unique setup! You'd need a 5-way superswitch to do those pickup combinations, or a 3-way plus another switch/pushpull to handle the coil splitting..

littlebadboy likes this.
  9. littlebadboy

Jul 13, 2018
    USA
    Yeah! It's a fun guitar playing guitar and bass at the same time! I just thought of swapping the pups and make it not look Frankenstein'd much. So, it is going to have a coil sized rail humbucker neck and a full sized rail humbucker on the bridge. I'll probably make a demo video when it's done. Just waiting for the switch.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice