Help! Bridge pin lifting

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by gearobsessed, Nov 6, 2018.

1. gearobsessed

gearobsessed Squier-holic

Aug 21, 2013
    new zealand
    Hi guys, the bridge pin on the low E string pulls out as you tune it up, I'm guessing because years of strings being pulled through have filed the wood to an angle and it's just not staying in there. Short of drilling it out, plugging it and drilling a new hole (I really really don't want to attempt that) what the heck else can I do?
    Perhaps drilling the holes out to the size of an acoustic bass pin? Or are the holes funnel shaped, and not easy to drill out?
    TIA
    IMG_20181106_204756.jpg

wonkenstein and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  2. DougMen

DougMen Squier-Nut

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    This is common on many guitars. Just hold it in with your thumb as you tune and it should stay unless the hole is too worn. It helps to bend the string by the ball end, as well.

3. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Dr. Squier

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Making a 90 bend sometimes helps ? New pins also sometimes helps ?

4. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-Nut

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Put a bit of plumbers tape around the stem of the peg, that will tighten it up ..

gearobsessed, dbrian66 and Viking like this.
  5. Hotrodleroy

Hotrodleroy Squier-holic

Dec 7, 2011
    USA
    The pin is not meant to hold the string in, it's meant to wedge the ball end against the pin and the material under the saddle. Like said, bend at a 90 about a inch, insert your pin, if it has a slot then position it towards the neck and pull it up tight by hand towards the neck until they wedge against one another and you should be good. Good luck nice looking guitar.

6. DoctorBB

DoctorBB Squier-Meister

Mar 2, 2016
    Beaumont, TX
    If the string ball is under the pin this can happen.

7. Jay Jackson

Jay Jackson Squier Talker

Sep 1, 2018
    sanluisobispo CA (3401
    what I have done to insure the ball end dosent stay at the end of the pin and rest up against the saddle like it should. I cut the pin end so it is the same leingth as the depth of the saddle thus insureing the ballend dosent rest on the pin but is set between the pin and saddle. you will know if the ball end is testing on the pin if when you tune up all of a sudden the string gets slack when tuned because the ball end has sliped off the pin end and set against the saddle, most pins are longer than the depth of the saddle. It will often sound like a small pop when it shifts from the pin end to the saddle and string is slack now.

8. mikesr1963

mikesr1963 Squier-Nut

May 6, 2016
    Virginia
  9. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    Sounds like years of incorrect string changes. The bridge plate inside the guitar can get damaged if strings are't properly installed.

New strings should be bent at the ball end so that they catch in the bridge plate slots. When putting them in you should be able to feel them snap into place and be held without the pins yet installed. Care should also be taken so that the round edge of the ball is inline with the string direction and is what contacts the bridge plate. (a mirror inside the guitar can help). Keeps the sharp edge of the ball from cutting into the bridge plate over time.

A lot easier to change strings on an electric.

10. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I have learned that I have no idea ho to string an acoustic guitar. The only acoustic I had for most of my life was an Ovation and they don’t use bridge pins. I bought an Ibanez a while back and had the same problem as OP. But I thought the ball was supposed to go at the bottom of the pin. Now I need to learn how to do this the right way. Feeling kind of dumb right now! :(

11. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Dr. Squier

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    teflon tape would be a gig time emergency only ! ! ! ????????

dbrian66 and gearobsessed like this.
  12. gearobsessed

Aug 21, 2013
    new zealand
    Thanks guys, I've already tried everything suggested. I've strung hundreds of acoustics before, the ball end is definitely not getting caught on the pin, I've tried pins off of another guitar, I've tried putting a bit of tape around the pin, and it won't fit in the hole
    I'm bending the string, and holding the pin in with my thumb and pulling the string till it locks, then it'll lift up as I tune it up still.
    If it is years of incorrect stringing, it wasn't me. I've only just bought the guitar. None of the acoustics I've had over the last 20 years have ever had this issue, so it's definitely not something I'm doing wrong here.
    I'll pop into the store today and see if I can get some bone bridge pins, as all the ones I've tried are plastic, hopefully it will help.

dbrian66 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  13. Hotrodleroy

Hotrodleroy Squier-holic

Dec 7, 2011
    USA
    Make sure your pins are about a quarter to 3/8's longer than the bridge, sound board, and the material they glued inside. Just stick a pin in and stick your hand in there and see where they are at. I'd bet they are to short, plus try and figure out how the thickness of everything is and bend your 90 about a quarter inch longer. Hope it works out for ya. If it don't pm me and I will give you my address so you can get rid of it, you know to avoid getting frustrated and all. Ok?

14. gearobsessed

Aug 21, 2013
    new zealand
    Just broke one of the brand new strings. I think I will leave it until my frustration subsides, and I can buy more strings. I'm running out of swear words lol

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  15. gearobsessed

Aug 21, 2013
    new zealand
    I've tried 3 different types of pins, and they all seem to do it, but only on the low E string. Doesn't happen with the other strings. I'll get some bone ones when I can afford to get them (and more strings) and see if that helps, but I don't think the problem is the pins, but rather damage to the bridge from years of cowboy restrings.

Kenneth Mountain, dbrian66 and Caddy like this.
  16. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    Wrap s small piece a paper around the tapered part of the pin. If the pin won't go in, use a smaller piece of paper.

17. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    I had a guitar that the pins kept popping out on me. I stuck my phone inside to see what was going on, and found THIS :0

25D610D5-F7BA-46B3-9835-C556A90C518A.jpeg
    Check your bridge plate, make sure it isn’t broken like this!

18. gearobsessed

Aug 21, 2013
    new zealand
    Wow that's insane! I'll have to check, I had my hand in there to check the ball ends were seated right and I didn't feel anything out of place, but good idea sticking your phone in there!

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  19. Dr Carrot

Dr Carrot Squier Talker

Oct 31, 2018
    Brisbane, Australia
    Also my experience. Make sure the ball of the string is NOT under the pin.

20. gearobsessed

Aug 21, 2013
    new zealand
    Yeah, I took the other strings off and put my hand through the hole to make sure it is seated properly, which it is.
    I had another thought, the e string I'm using is 56 gauge. I might try it with a 52 or so top string and see if it stays seated.