Hello from the UK

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Griff, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Welcome to the forum. The above diagram and website are good. The Seymour Duncan site tends to be my go-to. Just google seymour Duncan wiring diagrams.

BlueSquirrel and Griff like this.
  2. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    hey

Griff likes this.
  3. -r3-

-r3- Squier-Nut

Jan 28, 2016
    NC Piedmont
    Welcome, and...
    Careful With That Axe, Griff !

JoeInMichigan, eaglesgift and Griff like this.
  4. duggerh

duggerh Squier-Meister

Jun 1, 2018
    Pacific Northwest
    Welcome!

Griff likes this.
  5. LittleGiant

LittleGiant Squier-Meister

Apr 4, 2019
    Norway
    Welcome, nice axe.

Griff likes this.
  6. Griff

Griff Squier Talker

Jun 29, 2019
    UK
    Having stripped down the guitar..... I have had another go at the truss rod and managed to undo it ....to a certain point with a 5mm alan key. I then re tightened and started to get some real resistance.... I did actually get some improvement in the neck.

Q: should I try and take the truss rod end out ...... can you then lubricate the internals?

7. Jim Belaye

Jim Belaye Squier-holic

Jul 25, 2015
    Montréal, Canada
    Hello from Canada and welcome to ST @Griff! I love your avatar. I'm a Floyd fan myself and DG is my guitar God.

JoeInMichigan and Griff like this.
  8. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    I have no idea but have you looked at Dan Erlewine's (from Stewmac) videos on Youtube? You might find something interesting there. In any case, you should be extra careful with the trussrod. Perhaps it would be a good idea to take it to a luthier?
    Fingers crossed for you anyway!

Griff likes this.
  9. mofojar

mofojar Squier-Meister

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    Welcome to our little corner of the 'net.

Post many pictures of guitars and you'll get along well.

Griff likes this.
  10. Griff

Griff Squier Talker

Jun 29, 2019
    UK
    Update date on the YN7 neck with the knackered Truss rod end:-

I have just come back from the local Luthier and he reckons the neck/fret board needs heat treating back to straight. Having moved the truss rod end backwards a good way and the re tightened he feels that the truss rod has gone as far as it can..... hence the abrupt stop. So .... I await his call now... telling me its fixed :)

BlueSquirrel likes this.
  11. Griff

Griff Squier Talker

Jun 29, 2019
    UK
    1983.... the begining..... but no guitar...

Attached Files:

12. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2015
    UK
    About the same time as me then .... but I went out and bought myself a '70's styled white and rosewood 3 bolt Squier SQ because I was (and remain) a Blackmore follower.

I so wish I'd kept it... and kept up the playing, back then.

Nice to be back though isn't it.

So, another warm welcome from Cambridgeshire this time. What other mods are you planning if it comes back OK? I ended up going from Affinity (which I kept and extensively modded into a very very fine guitar) to VM (which I again modded to the max) in a similar journey.

Griff likes this.
  13. Welcome. Good to have you aboard the good ship Squier Talk.
    Cheers, Barrie.

14. Griff

Griff Squier Talker

Jun 29, 2019
    UK
    Just an update on my YN7***** Strat... the neck has been fixed by the local Luthier and its had a basic set up. Its had to have a shim to get the action to a reasonable position. With the new pups and proper pots etc it sounds like it should now....

It's a heavy guitar.... proper weight to it.

Attached Files:

VealCutlet, drewcp and mofojar like this.
  15. mofojar

mofojar Squier-Meister

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    I too like heavy Strats. Yours is looking great! May she bring you lots of beautiful music.

Griff likes this.
  16. Griff

Griff Squier Talker

Jun 29, 2019
    UK
    I saw him (them) live at Bingley Hall, Stafford, in the early 80s.... I think I am right in saying "Rose Tattoo" were the warm up.

I saw DPs last at De Montfort in Leics (Gillan).... early 00s or late 90s (cant remember :) )

17. Griff

Griff Squier Talker

Jun 29, 2019
    UK
    Before she was closed up :)

Attached Files:

mofojar likes this.
  18. rorygman

rorygman Squier-Nut

May 9, 2017
    Barcelona
    Heyyyyyy @Griff welcome to Squier-Talk, please excuse my very slow reaction in saying Hello!
    Nice to have you here, enjoy!

Ahhhh Bingley Hall Stafford Showground - that brings back memories! I saw the Stones live there in the late 70's; Jagger flying around on some sort of a trapeze or rope above the audience.

Cheers, rorygman :cool:

Griff likes this.
  19. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2015
    UK
    I was at that gig too.... if it was '83. The 'Straight Between Te Eyes' tour with Joe Lynn Turner and Chuck Burgi on drums?

I got there massively early and was hacked down by Blackmore in a mid afternoon game of football after the sound check....! I saw a few dates on that tour to make up for earlier disappointments. Rose Tattoo is possible but I know they also had Lita Ford supporting in some venues. That said they did tour the UK in '80/'81 with Bonnet still on vocals. I had a ticket to the Leicester show for that tour but at 14 wasn't allowed to go after we had inner city riots that made my mother panic. Caused the biggest rift in my family we'd had in a long time... didn't speak to my father again for over 18 mths !!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice