Hello from NYC!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by dboulders, Feb 11, 2019.

1. dboulders

dboulders Squier Talker

Feb 11, 2019
    NYC
    Hello Squier Talk,

My name is Dan and I'm from NYC and here is some quick background on myself. I started playing guitar when I was around 13 and played for a couple years. Was never really great and as long as I could fumble around and get halfway close to some Nirvana & Rage I was happy. Then about 10 years ago I tried to start playing again and picked up an Ibanez RG 2EX2 from Craigslist for $150 and again I found myself completely uninspired and the guitar got packed away. About a year ago i decided to pick it back and with the help of youtube I learned some of my favorite songs & decided to take took some lessons so I could learn proper technique and such. That went well for a few months and due to my schedule (I'm a married father of 3) I couldn't continue with lessons.

Fast forward to about a week ago I decided I wanted another Squier Strat (I had a black model as my first electric) so I started looking on Craigslist and found a Sunburst Affinity Strat for $30 but it was in pretty crappy shape. It looked extremely tired and had some rust on the hardware and before I did any research on the different models I sent the dude a message offering $20 and he agreed. So this weekend I met up with the guy and picked it up. He are some pics of the moment I walked into my house. Pardon the crappy iPhone pics and lighting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So needless to say I spent about 3 hours cleaning it up. I even took off all the hardware and soaked them in Apple Cider Vinegar then polished them a bit with some steel wool.

Here are the results:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It came out pretty nice if you ask me. And I already feel a "connection" to this guitar if that makes any sense. People say that you connect more with an item if you help build it or restore it in some fashion and I completely feel that way even though I've only owned it for 48 hours lol! I've also never set up a guitar before so I'll be doing that tonight when I get home. Youtube to the rescue again!

My plans are to upgrade the pickups and the bridge which I've seen are very common and relatively easy mods to tackle. I'm still doing some research on what items I'm looking to purchase but that where this awesome community comes in. Any recommendations?

Sorry for such a long post guys/gals!

- Dan

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    rorygman, rbh32, mzabo and 17 others like this.
  2. Deepblankspace

Deepblankspace Squier Talker

Sep 28, 2018
    Washington state
    Whats the serial?
    30 dollars for a post '13 affinity (when gold script became standard) sounds like quite the deal!

Kenneth Mountain, dbrian66 and Pat V. like this.
  3. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    Welcome to Squier-Talk, @dboulders !

Nice Affinity there - $30 is a STEAL! :)

Say hello to the Big Apple for me (I'm a transplant, lol)

4. waynes world

waynes world Squier Talker

Jan 27, 2019
    Saskatoon
  5. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    Hello and welcome! Nice deal on the strat!

6. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-Nut

Nov 24, 2018
    Lost in my Sticks
    Welcome in Dan, looks like she cleaned up nice. Good job.

7. lespaul1968

lespaul1968 Squier-Meister

Jan 26, 2019
    Indiana
    Welcome fantastic work on the cleanup

8. lespaul1968

lespaul1968 Squier-Meister

Jan 26, 2019
    Indiana
    Guitar fettish is always a good place to start.

9. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Hi and welcomed to Squier-Talk. You'll have good local company as there are several members in and around NYC. We're a pretty friendly bunch, pretty good at answering questions, and advice.

$30 for that good looking Affinity was a steal. Very nice graining in the wood.

Enjoy yourself and have fun.

10. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Welcome.

How the heck did you find a Squier for $30? I scour CL constantly. Where was I last week? I'm pretty sure I was pouring through the on-line ads for Squiers. I would have jumped on it in a second.

Argh! I'm losing my touch.

Welcome to ST. This is a great place. Don't be surprised if you have a dozen Squiers by Christmas.

11. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-Nut

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    wickedtools and dbrian66 like this.
  12. Big tuna

Big tuna Squier-holic

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    Welcome man! that was was some nasty funk on that one.

13. snivlem

snivlem Squier-holic

Jan 25, 2018
    FL
    Welcome to ST! Nice Affy!

14. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Hello and welcome to the forum. This place is the coolest guitar forum on the internet. A lot of smart and extremely nice people herte that can help you with any questions you might have.

You did good buying that guitar for $30.00. You could probably flip it for close to $100.00. My guess is thats not your plan! LOL. The clean up job was excellent!

If you replace the bridge and pickups, this is what I would do. They are cheap parts and major upgrades.

https://www.guitarfetish.com/Solid-...-Compatible-105mm-Chrome-Tremolo_p_24704.html

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148356&icep_item=282557391214

Add a wiring and pot kit from The Art Of Tone on eBay and a Graphtech Tusq nut and that guitar will be playing and sounding better than any stock MIM Strat out there.

15. dboulders

dboulders Squier Talker

Feb 11, 2019
    NYC
    When I saw it posted for $30 I knew I had to go for it and not to mention it was only a few mins from my house so what could I really lose.

I also found this site late last night and signed up this morning. My other hobby is watches and its always great find a community of like minded enthusiast who share a passion.

Thanks for being so welcoming guys!!

[​IMG]

I found a site that helped me identify that its a MII model from '12

I fet $30 is a steal so I was shocked when he accepted my offer of $20. He had a bunch of random things posted for sale so I don't think he is even a player.

Thanks! I'll be searching the site tonight.

I didn't reuse those strings lol of course I through a new set on.

I'm in to all type of music but have really been getting into blues & jazz recently and since I picked up this guy so cheap I wouldn't mind spending a few bucks on upgrades. From the little bit of research I was able to do today am I'm I correct thinking that the the MIM stamped bridge is the best bridge upgrade? Again I don't mind spending a couple bucks on this since it'll be with me for the long haul. Any pick up recommendations?

Also I might be crazy but I remember my old strat being much heavier than this. Granted I was a kid then but this was much lighter than I was expecting as there wasn't much of a difference between this and my RG.

- Dan

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  16. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    Sounds like Eddie has got some new competition! Nice score!

Good thing about music, when it hits you ya feel no pain.

17. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    My favorite pups are Guitar Madness.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/guitarmadn...TRK:MEFSXS:MESOI&_trksid=p2053788.m1543.l2654

Great pups for the price. Not boutique's but just as good, and a fraction of the price.

Golden Age and GFS have some great pups also. But shipping tends to be high.

MIM trem block will be a little bigger than the Squier body. Unless you mill it down a bit, part of the block will protrude through the back of the body. I think GFS makes a shorty block. I'm sure someone on the forum will chime in.

18. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-Nut

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    Welcome, neighbor. That thing cleaned up nicely. Shocked that someone beat @Eddie to a sub-$50 Squier in town!

19. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I'm overstocked. Need to cull the herd. No place to put them anymore.

One more HB and that's it. :)

20. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Dr. Squier

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Welcome to Squier Talk ! ! !

wickedtools and dbrian66 like this.