Hella(cheap!)caster Build

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by SquierTap, Jan 4, 2020.

1. mofojar

mofojar Squier-holic

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    Love checking out your progress on this one!

Looking good so far!

2. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Thanks, man... I was hopin somebody on here would have some pointers for painting... So, I guess it's off to YouTube for some guitar painting tutorials, lol...

3. mofojar

mofojar Squier-holic

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    Painting is still one thing I haven't attempted on any of my guitars.

On one hand, I would love to convert my CY98 to have a natural wood finish because I've always wanted a nice natural Strat, but on the other hand there is something to be said about leaving all the stickers on it and having it be a memorial to my teenage years.

I hope someone with some experience can help you out Mr. Tap!

4. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Yeah, that's kind of a tough call... A natural wood Strat is a beautiful thing... And to be honest, I bet I could pull it off... I finished my first re-finish about 3 months ago... You may know it already (I've told it a hundred times on here) but about 2 1/2 years ago, I bought a $59 S.E. from GC online, and just stripped EVERYTHING (including the finish) and just started replacing everything I could... To learn... And honestly, the hardest part of ALL of it, was gettin that sealer crap off, lol! But after that, it was pretty smooth sailin... And I forgot how much I LOVE Tru-Oil, lol... If there EVER was a finish that was fool-proof, it is, lol... Matter of fact, ever since I started this neck, I've been thinkin about how easy and how great a "natural" wood guitar would be to do... I think I'm gonna eventually do one entirely in Tru-Oil... I've just gotta figure out if I want a barncaster/Tele type deal, or a natural Strat, but I'm thinkin some other shape would be fun too, and a lil less run-of-the-mill...

But on the other hand, those stickers are almost like souvenirs at this point... I'd say, keep the Stickercaster, get a cheap body and neck, and go to town!

5. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Y'all wanna hear a good one? Lol...

Most of y'all know that I've got some "issues" with bad luck... It REALLY seems like things fall apart on me QUITE frequently, and usually due to no fault of my own... It's just my luck... Ya know, they say "Lucky in love, unlucky at cards..." What can I say? I SUCK at cards, lol... But, I've got a roof over my head, food in the pantry, and a beautiful wife and family that love me, so I'll take some snafus, lol... That bein said;

Since there wasn't a lot of responses to my "painting a headstock" questions, I went to YouTube, and I found a guy who was doin EXACTLY what I'm doin: Painting a Tele headstock black and applying a gold decal FROM THE SAME SELLER on Etsy that I got my decal through... But in his video the person explained that it was a pressure transfer and NOT a waterslide decal... The process for putting them on is COMPLETELY different... And I thought since I had a VERY similar lookin gold logo, with what looked like the same backing, I emailed the seller and asked if the decal I bought was a transfer or a waterslide... To make matters worse, the seller didn't send any instructions or directions... I assume he just forgot... He DID include a full page note asking me to please not leave ANY negative feedback without contacting him first so he could make it right... It went on to explain that he supports his family with his business, etc...

So when I emailed him and asked if this was a pressure transfer, and how to put it on, he replied that it WAS a WATERSLIDE decal and emailed me instructions for how to install a waterslide... So I responded AGAIN, and thanked him and told him that I just wanted to make double SURE it wasn't a pressure transfer... And again he told me it was a waterslide... You guys see where this is goin, right? Lol...

So yesterday morning I went ahead and painted my headstock black... Did 4 light coats and it turned out pretty well... Especially for my first time painting ANYTHING, lol...

So I go to install the "waterslide" this morning, and I followed the sellers directions to the letter... After sitting in water for 30 seconds, the decal doesn't slide, so I let it sit a bit longer (per the directions) and it STILL won't slide... So after messin with it for 5 or 10 minutes, I just CAN NOT get the decal to slide off... So I just removed the paper backing and attempted to just stick the clear logo on... Of course, I got air bubbles under it because it wouldn't "slide"... But I tried to salvage it by wiping and pressing hard on the the center out, to remove the bubbles... After about 10 minutes, I knew that there was just NO way that this was gonna look good... So I decided to just peel the waterslide off before it set, and to my COMPLETE surprise, as I peeled the clear plastic back, the decal stuck to the headstock! It WAS a damned transfer... NOT a waterslide...

So, I wrote him a lil email... I explained what happened, and let him know that it was NOT a waterslide (damn, even I'm tired of that word at this point, sorry, boys) and I also told him that I didn't plan on leaving any negative feedback, but maybe he should be a bit more cautious in the future with what kind of decals he sends and the directions... I told him that I knew I didn't have any experience with decals and I'm sure a lot of customers were in the same boat, and we depend on him and his instructions...

So, good news is that my headstock is now painted, and the decal installed... The last step will be puttin a couple coats of poly over it... With pressure transfer decals, you don't REALLY even have to do that, because the outline isn't too bad around the decal... But since he said it was a waterslide, I DIDN'T put any poly over the black paint... So, I WILL have to do that... But, so far, so good...

But I know the day is comin that I'm gonna have to line up this neck and drill the holes... And that scares the everlovin CRAP outta me... One of my family members has a drill press, so that should help, but man, am I scared about that... Oh well, I guess if I eventually wanna play this thing, it's gonna have to get done...
    IMG_20200115_123629163.jpg

Attached Files:

6. SQ0998

SQ0998 Squier Talker

Jan 1, 2020
    Costa Rica
    I would really like to see it once it's finished

7. mofojar

mofojar Squier-holic

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    I like how the headstock is shaping up! Some time in the future I might want to make my own custom decal so this is pretty good information.

8. JurnyWannaBe

JurnyWannaBe Squier-Nut

Feb 14, 2019
    Can you add the link for where you got the decal?

9. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

Most painted headstocks are only the face ? This looks like it's going to turn out - despite your bad luck ! I remember working with waterslides from doing plastic models and RC trucks , cars boats, planes, etc . By the time you do a few you get better ! Good Work Tap ! !

dbrian66, SquierTap and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  10. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Well, hopefully that'll be sometime this week!

11. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Right?!? It's like one of those dreams where the cheetah's almost on top of you, but you look down and you're runnin in molasses... Then Cap'n Crunch hands you a submachine gun that shoots rainbows, and so you and Bigfoot get in a time machine to go visit Florence Henderson in her prime and...

Well... Maybe that's just me... But it IS takin forever, ain't it?

;)

12. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Well, like I said, I MIGHT'VE been okay... IF it HAD been a waterslide instead of a transfer decal, lol...

13. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Update:

So when I contacted Scott at GuitaRestore on Etsy, (I'll leave a link) and told him about the mix-up, he apologized profusely and told me that I was EXACTLY right... Then he said that he'd mail me another decal right away... I told him that that wouldn't be necessary, that I got the first decal on... It wasn't perfect, but hey, things happen, man... But I told him that I was planning on ordering a Squier Mustang decal comin up and asked if maybe he could give me a lil discount... He actually offered to send me one free... Which was REALLY cool of him...

Like I said, mistakes happen man... I was literally telling my kids that TODAY... That life is the farthest thing from "fair", mistakes happen, and sometimes people try to screw you over intentionally (NOT that this was the case HERE)... And that was gonna continue until you go in your box and they drop ya in your hole... You CAN'T change that... What you CAN change is how YOU deal with it... To me, that's one thing that makes a good person... Grace, and bein gracious... And the ability to walk away WISER instead of just mad... Like the big tattoo on my left forearm CONSTANTLY reminds me, "It Is What It Is.."

So, I'm gettin a free Mustang logo for the headache... And to be honest, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Scott and GuitaRestore for a second... As a matter of fact, I plan to order several more custom "Chris Key" decals for my guitars from him... There WAS that boo-boo, but he made it BETTER than right, and he was a TOTAL professional... He got back to me SUPER quick every time, he designed a CUSTOM logo JUST for me, then he made SURE that I liked it, and made sure I "approved" it before he sent it, and even the shipping was quick... And he does ALL kinds of decals and logos, even hard to find, obscure, and totally custom stuff... And this GREAT lookin totally custom decal was $12... You just can't beat that... Especially with how cool Scott was...

So, if anybody wants a custom decal like mine, or a "period accurate" logo, I'd suggest shootin Scott an email... His Etsy link is;https://www.etsy.com/shop/GuitaRestore?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=639385171

Or you can just search Etsy for "GuitaRestore" and see all the cool, Harmony, Supro, Hagstrom, etc, decals...

And today's finally payday, so I hopped on Amazon and ordered everything else that I forgot; some nickel string trees (wanted the round Tele disc style, but don't wanna cover up that logo, lol) an output/input jack with the 2 screws (I HATE the traditional cup input with the "wedge" that goes in the wood), some neck screws, and a black HH pickguard, IF I decide to put one on it... Looks pretty good without it, and I don't have another without a pupguard... Still waitin on my custom laser etched neck plate... It was 8 bucks, but it's on a slow boat from China, lol...

So that's where we stand currently...

Can't wait to tape it off and get the clear coat on it... Then... The dreaded drilling, lol...

14. squierbilly

squierbilly Dr. Squier

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    As far as attatching the neck You can use a drill block or guide to drill a neck..
    Or make one out of a stack of washers glued and taped or a
    Sleeve or Bushing driven into a broad base nut can work as a guide.. find everything you need at a harware store..
    The holes just needs to be relatively straight (Eye Ball straight)..
    After all the name of the build is hella cheap right?..
    Your not building a rocket.. :D

15. JurnyWannaBe

JurnyWannaBe Squier-Nut

Feb 14, 2019
    Good job so far....I'm working on a Tele myself and I'm watching your thread with GREAT interest. Don't let yourself get too spun up about the drilling. Do a dry fit of the neck to the body with the neck plate. Make SURE that the screws you have aren't too long. Do the trick with the 2 Ee strings to make sure the neck is square to the body / bridge. Check the bit you plan to use against the shank of the screw. It needs to be about 2/3rds the size of the screw. Go easy and don't go too deep when you do start to drill. It's always easier to drill more than to try and fill a bunged up hole :)

16. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Dammit, Squierbilly... I like your style, hoss... Lol... Did y'all know my Dad drove a truck, and I grew up in one? Lol, maybe it's that, lol...
    That's actually a great idea... I've actually got a family member that lives across the way, that has a drill press that I can use... I'm just scared of messin it up, lol... I guess that even if I DID happen to "screw" it up, it'd be fixable... I'd just hate to mess it up after everything else has gone relatively well...

I hear that I need to use a 1/8th bit... And I've gotta figure out how deep to go into the neck too... I guess I'll figure it out...

It's just that every person that I've talked to has emphasized just HOW important it is that it's PERFECT, lol... They mean well, (and they're 100% correct) but they're scarin the crap outta me! Lol...

JurnyWannaBe and squierbilly like this.
  17. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Aww, we're talkin about bunged holes now? Lol... Of course, I've been watchin your build too with admiration... I REALLY appreciate that solid, PRACTICAL advice, hoss... Made me feel alot better about it actually... I was actually thinkin about using white yarn instead of strings, but since I'm usin vintage style tuners, it ain't a big deal... Great idea about drillin 2/3 of the screw... That's simple, solid advice I can follow...

18. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    So, just a quick update;

The rest of my parts came in today, except my pickguard... Which is COMPLETELY optional, and I may just go topless, since she looks so good already, lol...

So the all that's left is to clear coat the decal, install the string trees and the input, and the dreaded drilling, lol...

I was tryin to figure out how I was gonna spray the clear coat, because it's way too cold outside to spray, and I don't have a place to do it inside... But then, I happened to think, "Hey! I've got a big can of wipe on poly in the cabinet, left over from the first time I attempted to finish my S.E.!"

So, I pulled it down, made sure it was still good, taped off the headstock face and went ahead and applied my first coat... And since I'm just doin the face of the headstock, it should dry nice and quick, and I don't have to worry about waitin FOREVER for lacquer to dry... And then cure, lol...

So let's hope that throwin wipe on poly on top of a vinyl transfer will be cool... Hopefully it will... But just to be honest, I'm kinda over it, lol... I'm just ready to get this together and actually PLAY the danged thing! Lol...

JurnyWannaBe and Mr Bones like this.
  19. Mr Bones

Mr Bones Squier-Nut

Oct 17, 2019
    Kansas Territory
    Despite th way it started out, what with th 'decal/transfer, that turned out to be one dang dang Classy Lookin headstock Brother!

Me likeys, very much. :)

Fer as how long it takes, I'd rather follow a slow build, than watch somebody rush to complete it, an really eff summat up...;)

SquierTap and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice