Hella(cheap!)caster Build

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by SquierTap, Jan 4, 2020.

1. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Okay guys, this is my first "build" thread, so take it easy on me, lol... But I wanted to document everything, and possibly make a video for my YouTube channel (TheParanaturalPodcast), so without further ado, awaaaay we go!

As some of you know, I've been wantin a black, HH Tele for a while... I like the J5s, and Jim Root models, but the one I like best is the CVC "tuxedo" Telecasters, with the double bindings... Too bad I've NEVER even seen any of the 3 "in the wild" and even if I did, they just cost too danged m
    for me... I've got "a thing" (I guess from comin up without a lot) where if a guitar costs more than $350, I just can't do it... So I finally decided to just build my own on the cheap... And we're talkin shoestring/duct tape cheap, lol... But, hey, that really does seem to be my forte!

I went to Guitar Fetish (for the first time) for the body and neck... I really wanted a black, double bound, HH body, but they're only available in the most expensive (XGP) line... So I dug through the clearance section and found this; Screenshot_20200103-044033.png

It's not double bound... But it WAS $37, so I can deal, lol... The only thing that kinda spooked me was a TINY little bit of fine print informing me that these were "budget" bodies, and to expect some small imperfections, and that these bodies usually need a "final polish"... Which is totally acceptable for bodies this cheap, BUT, there was also some even smaller print that said sometimes the string-through holes don't always EXACTLY line up, but you could solve that problem with a top-loader bridge... Sheesh... I hope I'm just worryin about nothin, cause I've already bought a nice bridge I wanna use that isn't a top-loader...

On to the neck:
    I grabbed one of their standard 22 fret maple necks without any finish... It was cheaper, (only $39) and I want a matching black headstock... Now, I know about half of y'all HATE matchin headstocks, lol, but I dig 'em, especially on a black guitar... I haven't thought TOO much about how I'll finish the neck, but I'm one of the few cats around that actually likes a glossy neck... Of course, TOO much and they can get "sticky", but I've had my '97 M.I.M. Squier Strat since it was new, and I guess I just got used to it... I'm thinkin I'll probably use TruOil... That'll probably be the easiest way to go for a novice like me... But, like I said, I'm gonna paint the headstock black and use lacquer over the top... Here's the neck;
    Screenshot_20200103-044101.png
    And I went on Etsy (another first) and ordered a custom headstock decal... It SHOULD be a "Fender" style font that's black with gold outline (think of a 70's Strat) and it's gonna say "Chris Key" (my name) and the model name is "HELLACASTER"... Usually the "company" name I use for my guitars is "CK2" (CK Squared) but only using 3 letters seemed like a waste, lol...

Then, since I wanted to keep it cheap, I got on my Amazon Prime account and ordered the rest of my stuff... Here's what we're workin with, I got;

*Full size Fender 500k pots and cap

*Kaish String-through-body ferrules

*Musiclilly "Pro" grade vintage tuners... These are new, the "standard" version got so-so reviews, but these new "pro" versions are really good... I actually used these on my '89 M.I.K. Squier II...

*A Wilkinson half Tele bridge- I think this'll look great... I ordered a black one that has gold compensated saddles... I SURE hope the string-through holes in the body match up! Let us pray, lol...

*A fully loaded control plate- This cost the same as JUST the metal plate from Fender, but I'm gonna just replace the pots with full sized ones, and probably keep the import style 3-way switch...

*A set of YMC cheap Chinese pickups with chrome covers- These have great reviews, and they're STUPID cheap... I was lookin for humbuckers that are more like the wide range Fender humbuckers... I'd like them to be able to do clean, single coil-ISH sounds AND heavy stuff too... A good example are the pickups in my Bullet Mustang... I figure, if these don't fit the bill, I can always change 'em... As a matter of fact, @Guitarmageddon was JUST talkin about some great cheaper pickups from EYGuitarmusic.com... Can't remember the name of the pups, but if Guitarmageddon recommends them, they HAVE to be pretty damned good, lol!

* And lastly, I ordered a customized neck plate that's gonna be engraved "CK2 Guitars Nashville, Tn"...

So now all I've gotta do is wait for the body, neck, and nut to come in... It SHOULD be tomorrow from what the tracking says... I'm actually kinda surprised... I ordered all this stuff on January 1st, it's currently the 4th and everything's already here!
    IMG_20200104_153345737.jpg

Like I said, this is my first "build" from the ground up, so I'm probably gonna need y'all's amazing guitar knowledge, lol... But I think it's gonna be fun, man... And I think it's gonna be SHARP...

I'll keep you guys updated... So until tomorrow...

2. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Squier-Meister

Jul 13, 2018
    USA
    I look forward to seeing the finished product!

I'm also thinking of building a tele baritone.

dbrian66, MrYeats, Robb and 5 others like this.
  3. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Gonna be a fun build @SquierTap I'll be waiting for finish pics...:)

dbrian66, MrYeats, Robb and 4 others like this.
  4. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Sweet! Yeah, to be honest, I haven't looked TOO closely at baritones cause I'm sure I'll want one, lol! Everybody instantly thinks of metal and heavier stuff, but I'm a big Bill Kirchen fan... They call him "The King Of Dieselbilly", and he's an AMAZING picker and usually all he uses is an old pine Tele without a truss rod, and a (relatively) clean Fender amp... He does a lot of truck drivin songs, and he's a HELLUVA chicken picker...
    But the reason I mentioned him, is that he actually uses a baritone Tele on alot of his stuff... And there's somethin about havin an awesome clean "Fender-y" type tone but down so low!

5. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Oh, trust me, pics WILL be displayed, lol... And I'm probably gonna make a YouTube video on it, too...
    Tell ya what, it would be awesome if I could get a couple of these built, and people actually wanted to buy 'em...
    I'm on here CONSTANTLY bxtxhin about how stupid expensive guitars are here in Nashville... Even "no name" guitars in pawn shops are WAY more than Squiers seem to be ANYWHERE else... Maybe I'm in the right location for sellin guitars... Of course, this is my first "build" so I don't wanna get ahead of myself, but IF I were to build them for OTHER people, I'd have to step up the parts and NOT use the cheapest possible option like I do for myself, lol...

dbrian66, MrYeats, Robb and 6 others like this.
  6. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    download (2).jpeg
    Gotny popcorn for the wait ? ;)

7. Mr Bones

Mr Bones Squier-Nut

Oct 17, 2019
    Kansas Territory
    Nearly made me blow Guinness out me nostrils!!! :D

8. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Just mustard and biscuits, hoss... But that should be right up your alley... Lol...

9. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Uh huh !

10. squierbilly

squierbilly Dr. Squier

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    Cant wait to see a video of this guitar in action..
    All the money your saving you could buy a small router and make your own binding.. :)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  11. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Damn... If I didn't KNOW what a novice I am, I'd probably be all over that, lol... But I do, so I'll just leave that to the professionals... For now, lol...
    But when I started modding about a year and a half ago, I had ZERO tools, and no real interest in 'em... Hell, I had to buy a drill... But in that time, now I stand and drool in the tool aisle, lol... And I keep finding tools I "need"... A dremel, an orbital sander, and a router are ALL in that category, lol...

12. Angry Possum

Angry Possum Squier-Meister

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    You can throw this on the headstock.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/183787035056

dbrian66, MrYeats and SquierTap like this.
  13. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    @SquierTap you may want to stain that neck before using the TruOil. Here's a pic of an unfinished neck that was stained rather than "ambered" before the TO was applied. Should look cool w/black body. DSCN3558.JPG DSCN3557.JPG

14. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Lol... I'm afraid I'm playin for the other team, hoss... Lol... Christian is not only my first name, but also my affiliation, lol... By "HELLACASTER" I just meant "like a Tele, but a lot 'hotter' with the humbuckers'... Oh, and also "HELLA(cheap)CASTER wouldn't fit, lol...

BUT...

I did get a sweet custom logo for the headstock... I haven't posted it yet cause it's not exactly finalized...
    But... What do y'all think?

icm_fullxfull.233120820_l5sga9q17w0oc4o40kk0.png

Now, as I said, it's not done, because I (like the bone-head that I am, lol) forgot that this will be goin on a BLACK headstock and the BLACK letters won't show... So, I'm havin him keep the "Chris Key" part exactly the same and have "HELLACASTER" and "Nashville, Tn" done in the same gold that borders my name...

Pretty nifty, right?

I really dig it...
    I went through Etsy (yet another first)
    and found this guy named Scott and his company "Guitarestore"...
    I was waitin to make sure it turned out okay before I recommended him, but it was cheap ($12) and the guy messaged me SUPER quick, answered all my questions, and even had a mock up for me the same night... Hopin it turns out well...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  15. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Great idea, hoss! I LOVE the color... I usually dig "amber" colored necks like the CVs, but was wondering how that would look on a maple neck and black body...

16. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    The color is a local Sherwin Williams (in house mix) named Mantle Oak. I was hired to finish a knotty pine interior that was started in the 60's. The pine on the walls was the same color as my mother's house (and Clapton's Strat), that dark golden tone, which I figured couldn't be matched. Tried the Mantle Oak and hit "gold". Been using it on bare maple necks ever since.

17. JBrooks

JBrooks Squier-Meister

Jun 18, 2019
    Chicago
    Watching this thread with a lot of interest. I look at the GF stuff and would really like to try my hand at building something.... One of these days maybe.

18. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Yeah, I'm definitely gonna have to check and see what's available locally, but that looks just great, man...

19. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    I'll be 100% honest for a minute, here... Hoss, when I got here about 2 years ago, I HONESTLY didn't even know how to change my own strings! Lol... Sad, but unfortunately, very true... And now, just about all my guitars have my mods... I bought a $59 SE from GC online, and replaced every part that I could (including finish) just to learn... I started off small... For that first project I bought a CHEAP preloaded pickguard (only requires 3 small solders) and worked my up to my first clear coat, about 3 months ago...
    I know everyone says it, but hoss, if I can do it, literally ANYONE can! Lol...

And with a little (really enjoyable, to me anyway) practice, I'm building this awesome Tele that I've always wanted for about $150... Just goes to show a little know-how goes a long way, lol...

20. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Well, fellers... Today is supposed to be the day... My body, neck, and nut are supposed to get here today... But y'all know how THAT goes, lol... We always seem to be the last stop of the day, don't we? ;)

I just keep tellin myself to chill, lol... After all, my custom engraved neck plate won't be here for another 2 weeks to a month... The price you pay for an $8 custom laser neck plate, lol... I was thinkin I could just use another plate til then, but then I realized the ONE thing I forgot;
    I don't have ANY neck screws! Unless they're hidin somewhere, lol...

But after all, I have a couple days before my custom headstock decal gets here too...

And then, not only do I have to put this thing together, there's the matter of painting, then clear coating the headstock... Plus however I decide to finish the neck... Was just gonna use TruOil, but @surf green has me SERIOUSLY considering staining it...

Oh, by the way, who has tips for applying my waterslide decal, burying it, and finishing the neck?

Anybody know who's good at that stuff?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice