HEADS UP - New 2019 J Mascis Jazzmasters

Discussion in 'Squier Offset Guitars' started by Guitarmageddon, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    I saw one today at the Guitar Center in Southfield.....

So, the verdict is that Squier has completely pulled out of the factory that was making this, the Modern Player, and Classic Vibe.....

They were 'CGS' serial until the old Classic Vibe line was recently killed.....

now it's CY19 - made by Yako....

And....HUGE downgrade in quality - the neck finish feels like on an SE, with an amber yellowish tint, with maybe a little thicker dull shine - and the profile has completely changed. The fretboard is now Indian Laurel. Not that there's anything wrong with the neck and finish on an SE, but it never sold for $450....I should have snapped pics......

Basically it felt nowhere like a $450 guitar anymore, it felt like a $200 instrument....IMHO anyway, YMMV....

Just a heads up, I'd strongly suggest if anyone is looking for a Mascis Jazzmaster to look for CGS18 or earlier serials.....

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  2. scrub

scrub Squier-Meister

Jan 9, 2018
    Everett, WA
    I played a JMJM at GC today and it was nice but I’m not sure what the fretboard was, looked weird. Played OK though.

Edit: from the GC site it looks to have been Indian Laurel.

Dr Improbable and Guitarmageddon like this.
  3. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Squier-Meister

Sep 6, 2014
    Va
  4. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Squier-holic

Apr 4, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Maybe I'm nuts, but I feel like Fender sabotages the Squier line from time to time to encourage buying a Fender...

5. Lovemesomesquiers

Lovemesomesquiers Squier Talker

Sep 12, 2019
    Bologna, Italy
    Yeah, this summer, just by looking at the dropping prices on the new 2019 MII CV 50's, i rushed and bought a 2018 Tele. Great guitar with awesome finish!

And a couple days ago i was able to find a new rosewood J Mascis, from 2016 i think, that is coming my way.

Do you know where the new Yako guitars are being made? This year i bought a 2019 MII Jazzmaster (serial type CS19xxxx) with some issues but with a great feeling overall.

I'm usually wary of these kind of theories but here you may be onto something. The quality and success of Squiers in recent years is probably sabotaging their more expensive MIM lines business-wise.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    Dr Improbable likes this.
  6. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    Yako is a guitar factory in China, not sure where - CS would indicate to me maybe China Samick?

Is this one of the new Classic Vibes? Got pics? Are you sure it's not ICS and made in Indonesia?

7. Lovemesomesquiers

Lovemesomesquiers Squier Talker

Sep 12, 2019
    Bologna, Italy
    You are right, the serial is actually ICS19xxxx and is "Crafted In Indonesia", the CV '60 Jazzmaster in Olympic White made this year. The neck is one of the best i've ever played. I got two of them and kept the best one, admittedly there is a good amount of variation on the neck tint between the two guitars.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    xristos86 and drewcp like this.
  8. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    Yep, the whole Classic Vibe line was pulled from China and moved to Indonesia with some changes....

Dr Improbable likes this.
  9. miket1117

miket1117 Squier Talker

Mar 31, 2018
    Kansas City
    glad to have the heads up on the new model... been shopping these of late. one visit to a GC for a hands on, otherwise just shopping price and availability on the internet. also kinda thinking about a G&L Doheny, but need hands on one of those first. but the mascis model, man, just love the look and feel. theres a nice for sale for $425, no case, but upgraded with duncan antiquities pups and new wiring, pots, switching... i think its a '16.

anyway, thanks g'mageddon!

10. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Yeah. Or "bye now!"

Squiers from time to time do get "too good." Fender first raises the price, and then drops the model.

I think the lesson here is just what you say ... "Buy now."

I took that advice, even when it required a wee bit of a stretch, for each of my VMs. Looking back I can't quite believe what bargains each was -- or that I very nearly passed on them with the common rationals about "do I really need this? That's a lot of dough!"

My first was the Vintage Modified Jazzmaster. Cost, I think, $265 delivered.

Next was the VM Jaguar. I haggled for this one. Got it for about $250 new and delivered, but also wangled the dealer into letting me get an SBK hardshell case as part of the deal for less than $100.

Then, finally -- I almost missed this one! -- a VM Cabronita with Bigsby. Got that for less than $150 new and delivered when it was being discontinued.

I've owned a bunch of Fenders over the years. Going back to a late `50s Tele. None were better players than these.

And that being the case, and Fender understands this, why on earth would I buy a Fender?

And thus all the (to me) silly on and ons about thin nitro finishes and "tone woods."

See one you like. Grab it when you can and then keep it. That's, to me, the lesson.

-don

Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 9.32.25 AM.png

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  11. Tmorr68

Tmorr68 Squier Talker

Dec 15, 2017
    Harvest AL
    Hi all. New to the forum. Figured this would be a great first post, as the J Mascis JM is my favorite Squier. Hopefully, I can clear a few things up on these also. :)

Yes, the Mascis Jazzmaster has been made in China, by the same factory that produced the CVs,and Modern Players.
    The company is GREE (Grand Reward Entertainment and Education). This company has made instruments of exceptional quality, for Fender and others.
    The CGS ,I believe is for China -Gree- Squier.

It does appear that Fender has shifted production of all instruments made by this company elsewhere. Mostly to Cort in Indonesia, but a few to Yako, which is a Chinese builder.
    There might be some Samick Indo. models,as well.
    At any rate, the new Mascis Jazzmasters are being built in China by Yako. Is this a good thing?....well...

Yako makes decent stuff, but it is, IMO, not the build quality of the GREE products.
    I did check out one of the new Yako models, and while I didn't think it was horrible, it again, wasn't quite up to the previous ones.
    One big thing, is that the neck looks kind of cheap on the new ones. It's too orangey...:confused:

If you're lucky, some GREE made models are still coming through the pipeline. Two just came through my local Guitar Center within the past month...and I grabbed both! :D:);)

12. Tmorr68

Tmorr68 Squier Talker

Dec 15, 2017
    Harvest AL
    Also...forgot to add..
    The fretboards on mine are Indian Laurel, as well. I think that change happened with the last year of production from the GREE plant.
    On one, it looks pretty nice. It's dark, not quite rosewood, but not bad.
    The other, however, is lighter, kind of grayish looking, and not as appealing. I like the laurel a little better than Pau Ferro, but it's hit and miss...

13. drneilmb

drneilmb Squier-Meister

Jun 8, 2019
    Iowa, USA
    Thanks for the info on the various Chinese manufacturers. I feel like people on YouTube videos keep saying that import guitars almost all come from a very small number of factories in each country, China, Indonesia, Korea, Vietnam, etc.

It makes me very curious who those companies are and what we know about them, what models they've made, what skills or advantages each factory has. Maybe I'm just into it because my first guitar was (and is) a Korean-made, Fender-branded strat from the Young Chang factory.

14. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    Young Chang only made Korean Squier E7 and E10 products in the late 80s - no Fender branded stuff....is yours a CN or VN made by Cort??? early 90s?

15. drneilmb

drneilmb Squier-Meister

Jun 8, 2019
    Iowa, USA
    Mine is an E10 serial number that I bought new from my LGS in early 1988.

It most definitely is Fender branded. I always figure that on a different day, they could have put a Squier logo on the exact same guitar.

Dime-size pots, cheap ceramic pickups, solid wood body, Gotoh-branded tuners. And the most beguiling metallic LPB that I've ever seen. @fadetoz gets a GAS attack every time I post these pics.

0830192314.jpg

20190530_155436-774x1228.jpg

PhotoPictureResizer_190530_223159332_crop_2477x5312-619x1327.jpg

20190825_221402.jpg

Best1989 and Guitarmageddon like this.
  16. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    Guitarmageddon likes this.
  17. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    Wow, huge memory lapse this morning, I knew about these but forgot - my mistake.

drewcp and drneilmb like this.
  18. drneilmb

drneilmb Squier-Meister

Jun 8, 2019
    Iowa, USA
    Very uncharacteristic, I was worried about you for a minute there! :)

Guitarmageddon and drewcp like this.
  19. drneilmb

drneilmb Squier-Meister

Jun 8, 2019
    Iowa, USA
    Nice article on Young Chang on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Chang with a very brief Squier shout-out

"During the late 1980s and early 1990s, Young Chang manufactured Squier electric guitars and basses for Fender Musical Instruments Corporation, and also manufactured acoustic, acoustic/electric, electric guitars and basses under their own "Fenix" brand."

And the only mention on the Book of Knowledge about GREE: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farida_Guitars

And while we're at it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samick and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cort_Guitars

What other manufacturers are the ones making guitars in the far east?

20. drneilmb

drneilmb Squier-Meister

Jun 8, 2019
    Iowa, USA
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice