HEADS UP - New 2019 J Mascis Jazzmasters

Discussion in 'Squier Offset Guitars' started by Guitarmageddon, Oct 12, 2019 at 6:44 PM.

1. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    I saw one today at the Guitar Center in Southfield.....

So, the verdict is that Squier has completely pulled out of the factory that was making this, the Modern Player, and Classic Vibe.....

They were 'CGS' serial until the old Classic Vibe line was recently killed.....

now it's CY19 - made by Yako....

And....HUGE downgrade in quality - the neck finish feels like on an SE, with an amber yellowish tint, with maybe a little thicker dull shine - and the profile has completely changed. The fretboard is now Indian Laurel. Not that there's anything wrong with the neck and finish on an SE, but it never sold for $450....I should have snapped pics......

Basically it felt nowhere like a $450 guitar anymore, it felt like a $200 instrument....IMHO anyway, YMMV....

Just a heads up, I'd strongly suggest if anyone is looking for a Mascis Jazzmaster to look for CGS18 or earlier serials.....

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019 at 8:21 PM
  2. scrub

scrub Squier-Meister

Jan 9, 2018
    Everett, WA
    I played a JMJM at GC today and it was nice but I’m not sure what the fretboard was, looked weird. Played OK though.

Edit: from the GC site it looks to have been Indian Laurel.

Dr Improbable and Guitarmageddon like this.
  3. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Squier-holic

Apr 4, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Maybe I'm nuts, but I feel like Fender sabotages the Squier line from time to time to encourage buying a Fender...

4. Lovemesomesquiers

Lovemesomesquiers Squier Talker

Sep 12, 2019
    London
    Yeah, this summer, just by looking at the dropping prices on the new 2019 MII CV 50's, i rushed and bought a 2018 Tele. Great guitar with awesome finish!

And a couple days ago i was able to find a new rosewood J Mascis, from 2016 i think, that is coming my way.

Do you know where the new Yako guitars are being made? This year i bought a 2019 MII Jazzmaster (serial type CS19xxxx) with some issues but with a great feeling overall.

I'm usually wary of these kind of theories but here you may be onto something. The quality and success of Squiers in recent years is probably sabotaging their more expensive MIM lines business-wise.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019 at 9:55 AM
    Dr Improbable likes this.
  5. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    Yako is a guitar factory in China, not sure where - CS would indicate to me maybe China Samick?

Is this one of the new Classic Vibes? Got pics? Are you sure it's not ICS and made in Indonesia?

6. Lovemesomesquiers

Lovemesomesquiers Squier Talker

Sep 12, 2019
    London
    You are right, the serial is actually ICS19xxxx and is "Crafted In Indonesia", the CV '60 Jazzmaster in Olympic White made this year. The neck is one of the best i've ever played. I got two of them and kept the best one, admittedly there is a good amount of variation on the neck tint between the two guitars.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019 at 10:41 AM
    drewcp likes this.
  7. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    Yep, the whole Classic Vibe line was pulled from China and moved to Indonesia with some changes....

Dr Improbable likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice