Having to put projects on hold

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Shaytan, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-Nut

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Perhaps I might not be alone in this, but has anyone else, due to the cut in income as consequence from the Coronavirus quarantine, had to take priorities and chose not to spend more money on guitar projects, for now?

I had planned on up until summer investing in three projects, being my hand-painted refinish and rebuild of my 96 MIJ Jackson, some upgrades I've been thinking for ages for my PRS now that I've owned it for over an year, namely having my luthier installing a GraphTech nut and a set of chrome pup covers for aesthetics, and having my Portuguese guitar installed with a proper fitting bone saddle.

Unfortunately, income is scarce at the moment, I really need to save as much from my scholarship as possible for after graduating having enough savings to help me with whatever path I chose and, finally, a weekend job opportunity I'd have for the upcoming months at my best friend's family cafeteria isn't guaranteed, for now.

Anyone else had to put their own projects on hold in order to save your earnings for more important priorities?

mb doug likes this.
  2. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I'm just waiting for parts from the Middle Kingdom. :)

mb doug likes this.
  3. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    I purchased a fight simulator and it is the last thing I will order for awhile. Not because of income but because there is no proof that I'm not bringing in the virus through other sources like carriers from UPS, FedEx and so on. I don't know how long the germs could stay on anything. Any mail we wipe down with alcohol and or spray with Lysol..

mb doug and Eddie like this.
  4. I have a couple of household projects on the go right now, but these will have to wait. I just don't feel it's top priority during these times, to venture out for materials to complete those projects.
    Cheers, Barrie.

mb doug and strat_strummer like this.
  5. Michael7

Michael7 Dr. Squier

I don't know how long the germs could stay on anything. Any mail we wipe down with alcohol and or spray with Lysol..

Here are some helpful guidelines from Johns Hopkins hospital.
    The following is from Irene Ken physician, whose daughter is an Asst. Prof in infectious diseases.

* The virus is not a living organism, but a protein molecule (DNA) covered by a protective layer of lipid (fat), which, when absorbed by the cells of the ocular, nasal or buccal mucosa, changes their genetic code. (mutation) and convert them into aggressor and multiplier cells.

* Since the virus is not a living organism but a protein molecule, it is not killed, but decays on its own. The disintegration time depends on the temperature, humidity and type of material where it lies.

* The virus is very fragile; the only thing that protects it is a thin outer layer of fat. That is why any soap or detergent is the best remedy, because the foam CUTS the FAT (that is why you have to rub so much: for 20 seconds or more, to make a lot of foam).

By dissolving the fat layer, the protein molecule disperses and breaks down on its own.

* HEAT melts fat; this is why it is so good to use water above 77 degrees Fahrenheit for washing hands, clothes and everything. In addition, hot water makes more foam and that makes it even more useful.

* Alcohol or any mixture with alcohol over 65% DISSOLVES ANY FAT, especially the external lipid layer of the virus.

* Any mix with 1 part bleach and 5 parts water directly dissolves the protein, breaks it down from the inside.

* Oxygenated water helps long after soap, alcohol and chlorine, because peroxide dissolves the virus protein, but you have to use it pure and it hurts your skin.

* NO BACTERICIDE OR ANTIBIOTIC SERVES. The virus is not a living organism like bacteria; antibodies cannot kill what is not alive.

* NEVER shake used or unused clothing, sheets or cloth. While it is glued to a porous surface, it is very inert and disintegrates only

-between 3 hours (fabric and porous),

-4 hours (copper and wood)

-24 hours (cardboard),

- 42 hours (metal) and

-72 hours (plastic).

But if you shake it or use a feather duster, the virus molecules float in the air for up to 3 hours, and can lodge in your nose.

* The virus molecules remain very stable in external cold, or artificial as air conditioners in houses and cars.

They also need moisture to stay stable, and especially darkness. Therefore, dehumidified, dry, warm and bright environments will degrade it faster.

* UV LIGHT on any object that may contain it breaks down the virus protein. For example, to disinfect and reuse a mask is perfect. Be careful, it also breaks down collagen (which is protein) in the skin.

* The virus CANNOT go through healthy skin.

* Vinegar is NOT useful because it does not break down the protective layer of fat.

* NO SPIRITS, NOR VODKA, serve. The strongest vodka is 40% alcohol, and you need 65%.

* LISTERINE IF IT SERVES! It is 65% alcohol.

* The more confined the space, the more concentration of the virus there can be. The more open or naturally ventilated, the less.

* You have to wash your hands before and after touching mucosa, food, locks, knobs, switches, remote control, cell phone, watches, computers, desks, TV, etc. And when using the bathroom.

* You have to Moisturize dry hands from so much washing them, because the molecules can hide in the micro cracks. The thicker the moisturizer, the better.

* Also keep your NAILS SHORT so that the virus does not hide there.

-JOHNS HOPKINS HOSPITAL

6. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I have two guitars coming in. I'll have to disinfect them before I do anything with them.

mb doug and Jim Belaye like this.
  7. russtopherb

russtopherb Squier-Meister

Jan 8, 2020
    MA
    I haven't had to put any projects on hold really, but I am thinking about moving my SE for a Tele as we're just not getting along. I'm concerned about shipping & receiving right now to be honest, so I'll probably wait for a while before taking any action.

mb doug likes this.
  8. optofonik

optofonik Squier-holic

Personal fiscal responsibility and the state of California being on lockdown have come together to the create the perfect PB&J sandwich. My Squier Sub-Sonic project is on hold till this is over.

mb doug likes this.
  9. Lonn

Lonn Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    My only problem is I'm out of strings and all the shops are closed.

mb doug likes this.
  10. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
  11. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Good advice @Michael7, thanks!

None of the multitude of projects I have going or planned is really affected by the shut-down. Because primarily of health, I've been accumulating parts and pieces for around 2 years ( and making little progress). I'm sure there are still a few things I'll need, but nothing is in rush status. If I order from the 'Middle Kingdom', I have a month or so to wait without issue.;

12. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-Nut

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Everything here is based on what I have on hand. Not bringing much in besides food until this is in the past.

13. 5thumbs

5thumbs Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2009
    usa
    All of my bands gigs were pulled, no sign of when or if we can rebook dates ? So I got a new guitar to fool with,seein how I have 2 weeks off. Work sent people 65 and older or persons with respiratory (issues that’s me) for 2 weeks.

14. JamesPaul

JamesPaul Squier Talker

I have enough projects backlogged that I invested in long before COVID-19 hit. My issue is, it is more fun to get extra guitar playing time in than to work on my projects!

Shaytan likes this.
  15. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-Nut

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Ah, good point! I've been making good use of the extra time as well, quite handy to progress on the multitude of projects I've been working on. By a sheer of luck, I had recently bought a pack of 3 sets of Elixir strings I haven't changed on mine for almost a year now, so in that regard I'm set to go. Only in my classical I don't have any extra, but the ones currently in can still do for some few more months.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice