Have UPS shipping costs increased?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Eddie, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Did UPS increase their shipping costs? I'm looking at some ebay auctions, and shipping costs are through the roof.

Someone from WA messaged me and asked why it would cost $80 to ship a Squier Strat to him. I told him to speak with UPS. I just enter box dimensions and weight. UPS calculates the shipping cost for Ground service.

But he's sort of correct ... these shipping costs are through the roof. Many, many other auctions have tremendous shipping costs, and I know it's automatically calculated by UPS and not the seller.

This hurts bad.

wickedtools likes this.
  2. wickedtools

wickedtools Squier-holic

May 16, 2010
    west texas
    Yes they are, FedEx is higher than UPS and USPS is about $10 cheaper but can add up on insurance

Eddie likes this.
  3. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I've never shipped a guitar via USPS. How we slide the guitar box through their window? Plus, the lines are out the door at times.

4. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    When did FedEx get higher? They were running $10-$15 cheaper the last several years.

Eddie likes this.
  5. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Now you know why I rarely buy anything other than pedals online. Even SW and MF want to charge me for shipping unless I call and complain and then they'll give me free shipping, except for their listings on Ebay, which usually offer free shipping on anything, even to Hawaii. Most used amps listed on Ebay would cost me as much or more to ship here than the amp costs.

Eddie likes this.
  6. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-Nut

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    I've had one shipped via USPS. Went fine, my mailman did his usual drop offs then brought the guitar to my door after he finished the rest of the street.

Eddie likes this.
  7. danzigdan

danzigdan Squier-Meister

Feb 10, 2014
    NYS
    I've been shipping FedEx for the last couple of years and I think the most it cost me to ship a guitar was about $38.

Eddie likes this.
  8. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    The last guitar that I bought on Ebay was a used Fender Roadhouse with Texas Specials, from a dealer in Arizona. It cost $75 for the least expensive USPS option. UPS and FedEx were both over $100 for their cheapest option.

Eddie likes this.
  9. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

You can get accounts with all three of those shippers and print the labels online. If you do that with the Post Office you can either give the package to your carrier or drop it off at the PO without waiting in line. You can even get a small discount with USPS if you use one of their 3rd party associates. I use "Shipping Easy" to ship everything through the USPS, even overseas stuff.

10. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Shipping is insane these days.

Some shipping makes Columbia Williamette look cheap.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice