Has the new sales tax rules on ebay and Reverb effected your purchases?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Eddie, Dec 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    My ebay and Reverb activity have literally hit a wall since the new sales tax rules were enacted a few months ago. Other than a few small items, I haven't purchased squat on ebay and Reverb.

Maybe this is a good thing. But I wound up losing a few really nice items because I didn't want to pay the extra tax. :(

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    Me too, haven't bought anything even strings - reluctant to pay 6% tax.....(Michigan)

Kenneth Mountain, dbrian66 and Eddie like this.
  3. NewsCam 603

NewsCam 603 Squier-Meister

Jul 31, 2019
    Concord N.H.
    Even though I live in a state with neither a sales OR income tax, a sales tax online wouldn't stop me - I want what I want. What stops me on Reverb all the time is the shipping. There's tons of great stuff on Ebay with free shipping, whereas Reverb is overwhelmingly plus shipping. And don't get me started on the guitars that are "$85.00 and $100.00 shipping" .... :(

4. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I had my sights on a beautiful FGN NCLC200 for $900 with free shipping ... but I didn't want to pay the 8.75% tax ... close to another $90. Then it sold a day later.

Oh well. Would have loved to have had it.

There's a Chapman on ebay that I'm interested in ... $450 + $45 shipping + tax. Argh !!! That's almost an additional $100 on non-value added stuff on top of the purchase price. I just can't do it.

5. tuner sandwich

tuner sandwich Squier Talker

Jul 27, 2019
    SC, US
    No Taxation without rep....

Aw crap, why couldn't we have just left it at no Taxation? Had to add a stipulation on the end there.

6. NewsCam 603

Jul 31, 2019
    Concord N.H.
    Yeah, shipping and tax is just bullsh*t - even on a cheaper guitar, it's desire versus principal for sure.

Kenneth Mountain, Eddie and dbrian66 like this.
  7. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    NH has no sales and income tax? That's huge. Maybe a place for my wife and I to retire to. But man, it's a bit chilly there for my old bones.

8. coprod

coprod Squier Talker

Nov 30, 2019
    Texas
    Just did on reverb and didnt realize it until after the sale...it shows final price+shipping and the total, ok good so far... But when u pay...Boom!, they add the tax.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  9. NewsCam 603

Jul 31, 2019
    Concord N.H.
    Well, I'll save the best for last .... We are the "Live Free Or Die" state - NO income tax ... NO sales tax ... NO helmet law {adults} ... NO seatbelt law ... NO mandatory auto insurance ... we like freedom. HOWEVER, with no sales/income tax, we get the money from one source {primarily}, property taxes! A two hundred thousand dollar house has property taxes of over four thousand dollars a year. "They" still get your money, it's just a matter of how ;)

Afrika61, Eddie, BuddyLee and 2 others like this.
  10. -r3-

-r3- Squier-holic

Jan 28, 2016
    NC Piedmont
    It certainly kills my buzz. The not getting taxed part makes some things seem possible whereas taxation casts the sober shadow of "I really can't afford it" over things. Especially as the purchase gets larger..... Now that I see what the boot in my face forever is like, I wish I'd never bought any of the stuff. Shoulda saved up a huge pot o cash. Gonna need it in the coming days.....

But I really came to talk about acronyms. Months ago I was planning a proposal to make Eddie's 'shipping kills the deal' saying an acronym- SKD. Cause it does, in the small realm of used guitar stuff. Might as well throw in TKD now for 'taxes kill the deal', or STKD for the combo!

Eddie, Mr Bones and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  11. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-holic

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    Doesn't phase me at all....most of the stuff I get on ebay is free shipping anyway (GM pickups for example), and if I bought it local I'm still paying tax.

drewcp, Eddie and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  12. Hotrodleroy

Hotrodleroy Squier-holic

Dec 7, 2011
    USA
    Same here, needed a guard bracket in gold for my lp custom. Got it in two days, only a dollar tax. Our tax here is 10 percent straight across the board, but no state tax at the end of the year. I'm not buying anything new so it doesn't affect me. I like the older stuff anyways. I tell you though, there is some nice new stuff coming out. I did order six sets of strings free shipping.

Eddie and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  13. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

it has totally made everything different ! sucks

14. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    If you want something not readily available on OU, LG or CL, you're gonna pay sales tax. Just about anywhere Local or online, it does not matter. Don't get my Libertarian wound up. Anyway, if you want something, not used market local, sales tax is just another thing.

drewcp, Eddie and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  15. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-holic

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    I was more fazed by the $19 shipping charge to buy a record and t-shirt than sales tax.

16. Gloveberg

Gloveberg Squier-holic

Aug 30, 2015
    West Texas
    It's hit me on big purchases. I've bought a couple of guitars lately and having to factor in another 8% on top of the price and shipping has affected me for sure.

17. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    I pretty much quit ebay an PayPal anyway .

I generally buy\ trade on here or go to GC ,M&A , or the local pawn that's about half music store .

I'm paying local taxes at stores ,but I can play stuff I like ,or buy stuff I need with no shipping & wait times ;)

Mr Bones and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  18. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    God forbid that you should have to pay for govt. services that you all take for granted. Someone has to pay for it! It ain't free. Would you rather go back to the old system where if your house is on fire the fire dept. won't put it out until you pay them? I'm tired of everyone expecting all the services that govt. provides, but no one wants to pay for it. However, maybe this will make it better for local stores to get your business, since the playing field has been leveled some. I always buy local whenever I can, even if it costs me a little more, because I believe in community, and all of us supporting each other. When I was a kid the grocery store, the hardware store, the furniture store, the drugstore, the liquor store, the gas station, the car dealership, the toy store, the record store, and the guitar store were all owned by local folks who were our neighbors. Yes, there was Macy's and Sears and others, but they employed local people too. We helped keep each other employed and put food on the table. Maybe today the local stores are owned by corporations, but at least they still employ local people. End of rant.

19. Gloveberg

Gloveberg Squier-holic

Aug 30, 2015
    West Texas
    I never said I expected things for free or that I don't want to pay taxes, I have an issue paying taxes on USED things that have already been taxed once when they were new.

20. I don't shop on any of those sites nor do I expect to. I do get the "used" tax thing you mention. We pay tax on used cars regardless of how many times they've been sold. At some point I wonder if the taxes collected outvalue the vehicle.o_O
    I get good service for the taxes I pay (generally speaking) and as long as the hobos ain't camping out in my yard … I'm OK.
    Cheers, Barrie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice