Has anyone used one of these wiring harnesses?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by benjammin420, Oct 12, 2017.

1. benjammin420

benjammin420 Squier Talker

Jul 19, 2010
    Vancouver, BC
  2. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2014
    Gilbert, AZ
    You get what you pay for, usually. No experience with this specific harness but what do you have to lose at 15 bucks? That’s the same price as a Switchcraft toggle. The reviews aren’t promising though, buyer beware.

Las Palmas Norte likes this.
  3. Personally. I wouldn't waste my time. I prefer to buck up for quality. Hey, but that's me.
    Cheers, Barrie.

4. Jmv668

Jmv668 Squier-Meister

Feb 21, 2017
    Chile
    Soldering is easy and good ;)
    Buy beers with your 15 bucks LOL

Robb and LutherBurger like this.
  5. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    I bought a harness for SSS a few years back from some ware in the orient. It was similar but with an Orange Drop cap. Alpha pots are usually decent but it's a soldered set up so things can go wrong. Like destroying the pot or bad/cold solder joints etc. Mine was fine and worked great. The thing is quality control at these foreign shops is next to none if any, so you take your chances. However $15 is nothing compared to some I've seen being sold with better US made parts for 3-4 times the price. It's your call, good luck.

6. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
  7. mtjo62

mtjo62 Squier-Meister

Dec 14, 2009
    USA
    920D Custom Shop does very nice pre-wired harnesses. I upgraded my Epi Dot with a 50's style harness and the workmanship was steller, almost a work of art. I hated to install it because it was such a nice job.

8. howserx

howserx Squier Talker

Apr 20, 2017
    Winnipeg, Canada
    I bought one similar for my strat. I don't know if the make was the same or not, it's been a few years now. Quality wasn't the best, but I had no problems with the pots or switch. everything just worked fine.
    Actually, I did have one problem. I did some other mods later and the wiring for the switch was non-standard. I spent about an hour before I find the right pin layout. I found it here too. Thanks everyone! In your case a 3-way toggle won't have the problem.

benjammin420 and Viking like this.
  9. Ghostlyone

Ghostlyone Squier-Nut

Dec 21, 2015
    New Hampshire, USA
    I used the GFS ones on two guitars, both worked as advertised. Very happy.

10. radiotech

radiotech Squier-holic

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Most of the parts themselves are OK. I’ve bought that 3way toggle from Kmise before, and it was fairly rugged. The Alpha push/pull is identical to the one used in the Squier ‘51, and as already mentioned; Alpha’s are a given.
    Just make sure you want the black switch/jack threads/nuts vs chrome/nickel.

I’ve used the Kmise 3 and 5 way Fender kits, I had one 3 way that had a cold solder joint, but no other problems in the others. My Bullet Strat has their 5 way kit in it, and has been fine.