Hard Luck Kings

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Eddie, May 12, 2018.

1. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Kenneth Mountain and eaglesgift like this.
  2. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    I have no experience personally with HLK guitars.I belong to a few groups that give them mixed reviews. It seems people love them or hate them. A friend owns a tele copy, and he said it needed quite a bit of work to play well. They are certainly cheap enough.

Eddie and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  3. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Dr. Squier

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY

They look like they need RRG units ? other than that the price is righteous

Eddie likes this.
  4. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    That's what I'm finding also. Lots of people bashing it, and lots of people loving them. Not sure I want to risk it.

The youtube reviews seem positive, but the comments aren't always so nice. That tells me a lot.

But when the company claims that they do a set up and all the works before sending it .... and many people claim otherwise, I question the authenticity of the company's claims.

Fudge it. I was just grasping at straws ...

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  5. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Hollah. Looks wicked. Great price. I'm GASing ...

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  6. Lonn

Lonn Administrator Staff Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Admin Post
    My local GC had a few a couple of years ago that I assumed came in on trade. The white LP copy was pretty decent.

Kenneth Mountain, Eddie and dbrian66 like this.
  7. Gloveberg

Gloveberg Squier-holic

Aug 30, 2015
    West Texas
    "Designed For You in Southern California"

More than likely they import them in from overseas like other people (Rondo, GFS, etc.).

8. Acidhouse

Acidhouse Squier-holic

Sep 16, 2010
    Birmingham . . . Alabama
    Looks nice. I think a healthy bit of bad reviews would turn me off though. Rondo has been doing the same thing for years and the reviews are very positive. It wouldn’t be as funky looking but for those prices I would probably just buy another Agile or SX.

9. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    They have a Firebird copy for $269. Someone needs to buy the guitars I have for sale!!!!:confused:

image_a98e5806-3cfd-47a5-9038-19412148f325_2048x2048.jpg

Kenneth Mountain and Eddie like this.
  10. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    They definitely have some very attractive guitars are very reasonable prices. That's why they have my ear. But I'm not sure I want to drop 2 bills on something that I'm not too sure of.

11. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    Here's what their website says about returns: "USA returns on us + 100% refund less $20 restock fee." That turns it into a $20 gamble plus the $24.95 flat rate shipping, so $45 total, unless the 100% refund includes the initial shipping.

12. techowiz

techowiz Squier-Nut

Aug 21, 2014
    new york
    Other thing to consider Eddie is resale if you want to unload. You will most likely take a "bath".....

Kenneth Mountain and Eddie like this.
  13. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Yep, that's always a big consideration ... especially when buying new. I'm sure the market for these guitars are very limited.

Kenneth Mountain and techowiz like this.
  14. jamndad

jamndad Squier-holic

Nov 23, 2013
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    My boys each tried one; a 6 string "V" and a bass. I didn't like either one. The V went back immediately, the bass was kept, son liked the pickups. The builds, imo, were subpar at best. Freight was ridiculous .

Eddie and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  15. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Rondo, Agile, GFS, HLK, Epiphone baseline... All about the same. Some good, some bad. For those in Northern Il and southeast Wisconsin, the "Kenosha Sound".

16. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Yeah, shipping is $59 to NYC. But I guess that's about the going rate. It sucks that shipping hits the bottom line so hard. :(

17. Ishmann

Ishmann Squier-Nut

From what I've read their quality is hit or miss. Mostly miss. Their customer service is horrible. Apparently that is why they're called Hard Luck Kings :p

I've watched some of their videos on Facebook. Not impressed. For some reason if you are a customer of theirs you're referred to as a "Rat Bastard". Some people consider this a badge of honor.

Acidhouse and Eddie like this.
  18. Treynor

Treynor Squier-holic

Jun 22, 2016
    Dallas, Texas
    Pass...just my two cents.