Happy Veterans' Day

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by RegularJim, Nov 11, 2019.

1. RegularJim

RegularJim Squier-Nut

Dec 30, 2017
    Illiconsin, Wisinois
    Wishing all the Vets a great day. Thanks for your service!

2. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Squier-holic

I'm not a vet but I certainly do appreciate the service and sacrifices they have made.
    Thanks to you all!

"Give honor to whom honor is due."

3. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-Meister

Jul 4, 2019
    Ohio, United States
    Thank you Jim and Tim.

It was an honor to serve.

4. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Happy Veterans Day and Happy Armistice Day.

5. wickedtools

wickedtools Squier-holic

May 16, 2010
    west texas
    Thanks to all who serve!!!

Treynor, JoeInMichigan and Afrika61 like this.
  6. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-holic

unknwon_soldier.jpg Us.jpg

firefly2.jpg
    All the best to Comrades near and far, past and present,...
    Toujours Pret.

7. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Remembering my big brother Medford Booker who gave it all here.
    https://www.history.com/topics/world-war-ii/invasion-of-sicily
    Medford was the older brother of my best friend . He was just 18 and had a model A coupe with a rumble seat..Medford would haul us younger guys and girls around to out of town games and to the amusement park..
    The kind of a big brother every young kid would love to have..
    Love you and miss you Medford..

Viking, Loin Lover and Afrika61 like this.
  8. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

Thanks to all the vets on Squier-Talk and elsewhere for their service and sacrifice for our country.

9. I'll be leaving for our service in about 20 minutes to pay respect to all our service men and women.
    Fog has settled in so I'm not sure about the traditional fly over. We are in a military town with the air force base 19 Wing Comox, so I'm sure they have it figured out.
    Cheers, and thanks to everyone that dedicated time to serve. Cheers, Barrie.

Viking and Afrika61 like this.
  10. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    VN vet here. 173rd Airborne Brigade. Wasn't a good time but not as bad as my dad had it in WWII. He landed on Omaha Beach on D-Day, fought in the Battle Of The Bulge and spent 5 months in a German prison camp. He weighed just 82 lbs. when the Russians finally liberated the prison camp.

11. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    You can be proud of your father..That was hell..

12. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    Always was very proud of him. Sadly, he passed away in December of 2015 at 92 years old. Was a great dad!

Las Palmas Norte and Loin Lover like this.
  13. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-holic

I saw a remarkable thing at the service today. The was a WWII Vet in a wheel chair there, all bundled up against the cold and wearing his Royal Navy cap. Behind him, steadying the wheel chair chair, was a man older than myself and a similarly aged Asian woman beside him and beside her was a very young girl in cadet uniform. The man standing was in civilian cloths but he had a campaign bar on, which was yellow with red stripes. It took a moment but I realized that he was a Vietnam Vet and so I went over to chat with him. It turned out that he had served there and the lady beside was his wife, whom he'd met while serving. The old gent was his Father, who had served aboard a corvette in the North Atlantic, and the young girl was the Vietnam Vets grand daughter, who in a few years time would be entering the service herself. We spoke before and after the service and swapped a few stories, and at one point I noticed that the older man was beginning to feel the cold so I pulled out my thermos and told him to take a pull. He asked what it was and I said "something that a Royal Navy vet should be familiar with: weak tea and lots of dark rum". He chuckled a little, took a good long pull, and said" God bless you lad". Three generations of service in that one family, remarkable,...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice