Happy 50th, Woodstock!

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by johnnywizzo, Aug 15, 2019.

1. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Squier-Nut

Feb 4, 2016
    Happy anniversary to any and all who were at Woodstock 50 years ago. I had a chance to go with my cousin, but opted to stay and work at the restaurant that weekend. I've been sorry ever since.

I just got done playing for about 70 people at a picnic and asked if anyone there had been to Woodstock. No one had, and the crowd was about the right age.

2. Big tuna

Big tuna Squier-holic

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    Glad i missed it friends went.

3. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Grouse hunting
  4. ScoobySnacker

ScoobySnacker Squier-Meister

Dec 4, 2018
    Never-reach, NY
    I was 11 and remember it as if it were yesterday:
    Growing up on the Island of Long we had all 3 major networks along with 2 regional stations & a PBS channel.
    The dinner ritual throughout the neighborhood was to watch the local news at 6 PM, and then watch (some things don't change) the National news.
    That Friday, I recall, before dinner hit the tray, we were looking at the NYS Thruway(every channel covered it) via aerial footage and it was closed...CLOSED!! was what the man said...all because...well there was something about music and hippies or something.
    Those were interesting times.

fendereedo, Rollmeaway and oneLOCOman like this.
  5. I was ten years old in '69. Being in south western Ontario (Canada) at the time, we picked up all the Great Lake US and Canadian TV stations. It was news then that alerted me to the "big festival". Family moved to the west coast that autumn 50 years ago, and I've never been back since. A pretty good chance I never will either.
    I did watch a PBS special last week covering Woodstock.
    Cheers, Barrie.

fendereedo and Rollmeaway like this.
  6. Chubbles

Chubbles Squier-Meister

Mar 6, 2018
    Philadelphia PA
    I was 4. Damn it!

7. squierbilly

squierbilly Dr. Squier

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    Happy birthday woodstock!..
    tenor.gif
    Guess he doesn't like birthday cards.. :rolleyes:

8. Jay Jackson

Jay Jackson Squier-Nut

Sep 1, 2018
    sanluisobispo CA (3401
    I was 15 and didn't hear about it until it was over, So I didn't get to see that one but went to one in 72 at Pocono Pen. Pocono Music festaval 1972.jpg

daan, Chubbles, fendereedo and 4 others like this.
  9. John Slinger

John Slinger Squier-Meister

Apr 26, 2019
    Greenville
    I was 9 the week earlier but from footage I have seen I don't feel like I missed anything.

10. Rollmeaway

Rollmeaway Squier-Nut

Feb 7, 2016
    Fayetteville, NC
    I was 15 in 1969. I lived in southern Westchester County, NY. About two hours away from the concert. I had a used Triumph 650 TR6. Friday night they were showing aerial shots of the venue on TV.

So Saturday, I hopped on my bike and decided to see what all the hub bub was about. I got on the NYS Thruway which was about five minutes from my house. And rode for about an hour until the traffic came to a dead stop.

Arlo Guthrie was right. The NYS Thruway really was closed, man! State police were just turning everyone around.

Now, I knew that area and the Catskills fairly well and easily could have found an alternate route there. But, I was riding with a learners permit and didn't need any more hassles from "the man".

In retrospect I'm glad I missed that muddy, rainy mess.

I saw a video recently where there is still garbage and remains of the concert at Yasgurs farm.

fendereedo and NewsCam 603 like this.
  11. -r3-

-r3- Squier-holic

Jan 28, 2016
    NC Piedmont
    Ticketron !!

Rollmeaway likes this.
  12. NewsCam 603

NewsCam 603 Squier-Meister

Jul 31, 2019
    Concord N.H.
    Consider yourself lucky. With Lucas electrics, you're lucky that Trumpet made it out of the driveway {kiddin...} ;)

Rollmeaway and fendereedo like this.
  13. fendereedo

fendereedo Squier-Meister

Aug 12, 2015
    UK
    I was 3 years 8 months and in the wrong country. However, my brother was conceived at the Isle of Wight festival in 1970. I stayed with my grandparents.

daan, Rollmeaway and Chubbles like this.
  14. wildelectric

wildelectric Squier-Nut

Sep 23, 2016
    Western Illinois
    I was six years away from being born but my mother and a friend went.

They arrived to the area late on Thursday and abandoned their car nearly 20 miles from the festival site. It took them walking and riding on the vehicles of more intrepid souls to get there, which didn't happen until mid morning on Friday.

They stayed for a while after the show was over to help clean up, but left when the sheer amount of waste and the stench began to hit them.

The lawsuits by Bethel residents against Max Yasgur and the organizers must have been a windfall for the legal profession.

15. Chubbles

Chubbles Squier-Meister

Mar 6, 2018
    Philadelphia PA
    Those type of happenings will will never happen again. We're too greedy, create too many lawsuits. Too bad.

Rollmeaway likes this.
  16. Rollmeaway

Rollmeaway Squier-Nut

Feb 7, 2016
    Fayetteville, NC
    You got that right, brother. Between the quirky Lucas Zener diodes and rectifiers, we used to call it "Lucas, the king of darkness". I had a series of Triumphs and BSA's before I got my first Harley. Eventually, I became known in my social circle as the guy who knew about British bikes. No one knew what Whitworth tools were. At first we couldn't figure out why neither metric or American standard tools would fit. I had to invest in a Whitworth set to work on these early British bikes until they switched to metric.

daan and NewsCam 603 like this.
  17. NewsCam 603

Jul 31, 2019
    Concord N.H.
    Owned five and loved every one, even while pushing, lol. To be fair, they had the best anti-theft device to this day - tickle the right Amal, tickle the left Amal, you're off like a prom dress. For somebody who doesn't know that, you'll find 'em kickin' when you get there ;)

Rollmeaway and daan like this.
  18. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    I was born during the Isle of WIght show... (about 700 miles west of there, though)

I asked my Dad about various 60's happenings, but since he was a very straight-laced Army person (he served 34 years)(and a huge Country fan) his view of the 60's is a lot different than the average hippy!

19. Rollmeaway

Rollmeaway Squier-Nut

Feb 7, 2016
    Fayetteville, NC
    You know, I completely forgot that. Priming those old Amals. So many little things to keep them running right. Synchronizing the carbs on a Bonney. Man when they hit the power band, it really took off. The power to weight ratio was great.

I was young and started to hang out with Harley riders. Slow as they were back then, I fell in love with them. I had to have one and I traded my way to a 1960 Duo Glide FLH. That old thing just thumped along. With its way behind the technology of the times, I believe I was riding that old clunker when guys like Don, @duceditor was riding a state of the art Ducati with desmodromic valve systems and racing frame geometry. The two only shared the fact of being V-Twins.

Boy, went off topic on this one, eh?

20. NewsCam 603

Jul 31, 2019
    Concord N.H.
    Hey, we didn't MEAN to hijack it, lol. I owned 43 bikes total, two Harleys, the five Trumpets, all the rest MIJ. Loved almost all of 'em in their own way. And believe it or not, never loved anything as much as my two Buell Blasts!!! Unlike any other bike on the road :)

Rollmeaway likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice