Happy 4th - Firefly Hollowbodys are back!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Toddcaster64, Jul 4, 2018.

1. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Squier-Meister

Feb 4, 2016
  2. Toddcaster64

Toddcaster64 Squier-holic

Apr 1, 2013
    Camarillo, CA
    826EC0A6-4A73-43CA-8011-DBD873176759.jpeg They are limited runs and people discovered them through YouTube reviews. Plus they’re magnificent. This second one I got plays even better than the first which was damned good. A buddy of mine got his today and was so impressed he’s gigging it tonight. They used to last a couple weeks - this time both blue and red were both gone in under 24 hours.

3. Toddcaster64

Apr 1, 2013
    Camarillo, CA
    Pictures and your thoughts when you get it!

mdparent03 and Mister Noonan like this.
  4. notme

notme Squier-Meister

Feb 26, 2014
    Kamloops BC Canada
    I want either a blueburst or tobaccoburst. Email me if one pops up, thanks in advance ;)
    Fahq.it at gmail.com

5. dqami

dqami Squier Talker

Jan 25, 2012
    oc
    Thanks for the headsup! I ordered one and it arrived yesterday. Now they are sold out. It came from Seattle to LA so it was fast. First impression: nice guitar especially for the price. Got the SB and it looks great, couldn't find any cosmetic flaws, frets good, no cracks from shipping. Tuned up and plugged in, pickups sound very good for clean and blues or jazz. Raised the pickups a little and adjusted the poles for a little more growl (oops, one pole piece slid down), moved the knob numbers to my liking. Sounds great! Switch seems ok, but the middle position sounds out of phase. Anyone else have that? Probably one pickup not wired right, though each one sounds good individually.

johnnywizzo and mdparent03 like this.
  6. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-Nut

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    They dont get as far as the U.K., I would love that burst one though..lovely looking guitar.

Caddy and mdparent03 like this.
  7. Mister Noonan

Mister Noonan Squier-Meister

Jun 28, 2018
    present
    Arrived yesterday. I'm extremely happy with it. Other than playing with the TOM and getting different strings on it I don't think I will change anything on it.

Holds tuning, pickups sound good (and different than anything I have), was set up decently, no frets astray, looks gorgeous.

For the benefit of other potential buyers, if I am nitpicking (which at this price, I certainly am not):
    - not sure what the fretboard is - looks a little like mystery-wood. Feels fine to play.
    - Small rattle that I think is in the TOM and not due to fret issues, but the sound doesn't come through the amp. Similar to not having both saddle screws with even pressure on a strat. Not a big deal - but I'm a novice with TOM's so not sure if there is a fix either.

20180710_232546.jpg

8. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Had $40 in Amazon rewards, and got the burst... EGADS, what a value!
    Size: bigger & thicker than my Ibanez AS, and Epi 339, but smaller than my Epi Dot Studio (though it’s thicker at the edge than any of the above). The horns have a lot of arch curve in the top (again, more than the above). No sharp fret ends, nice binding, though the neck is a bit thin, and is is fairly easy to generate some vibrato if you pull on it. The fingerboard material is stained, so you’ll have to wipe it down with Naptha, and oil it right off... unless you want to get black fingers from playing it for the next month.
    Tuners work, but have some tight spots. This latest batch has bone nuts... which feels like it might need a little tweaking, but... not bad (really is bone).
    No rattles or buzzes... though when the pick up selector is in the middle position, there’s a phase mismatch, so I’ll have to rewire that correctly. The pickups sounds good, and even though they’re quite backed off from the strings already (barely above the trim ring for both of them), they are really HOT! On almost every setting on my Mustang III, I had to reduce the gain at least two notches.
    Set up is good, though intonation is off a bit. I’m keeping it stock for now, I’ll restring it with tens, and tweak intonation later in the week.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Toddcaster64, daan, willhowl and 4 others like this.
  9. notme

notme Squier-Meister

Feb 26, 2014
    Kamloops BC Canada
    You lucky buggers...

10. Mister Noonan

Jun 28, 2018
    present
    The most dreaded day - Cardboard Recycling Day.

20180712_140756.jpg

willhowl, Pat V. and five teles like this.
  11. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities

Oh thank god, I was really GAS-ing for one of these, and I ALMOST had enough in my paypal account, but a skinny neck is a deal breaker. Phwew!

radiotech and Caddy like this.
  12. notme

notme Squier-Meister

Feb 26, 2014
    Kamloops BC Canada
    Anyone know if the latest run of red ones have pointed ears?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  13. Toddcaster64

Apr 1, 2013
    Camarillo, CA
    Yeah this run had phase issues - the last one was better in that respect. So, I’m pretty comfortable switching/soldering wires on a solid body, but I’ve got some reservations about doing it on a hollow body with no rear access. How are you going to do it - pull a pot through the f hole or just switch wires in the pickup cavity? I was thinking of maybe going solderless and just reversing a pickup magnet.

radiotech likes this.
  14. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    I usually tie a shoe lace to the pot/switch and pull it through the F hole.

15. Toddcaster64

Apr 1, 2013
    Camarillo, CA
    It’s hard to even see what’s going on in there.

radiotech likes this.
  16. Mister Noonan

Jun 28, 2018
    present
    I'm curious too. I wasn't pleased with the middle posiion but didn't know it might be out of phase. Maybe pull a tone pot out and reverse the wiring? Expert advice please.

radiotech likes this.
  17. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    More likely, the volume. Make some alligator jumpers so you can test/get it right.

Mister Noonan likes this.
  18. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Also very easy to pop your phone in there and snap some shots before you start... if you pick up one of those snake cam attachments… Even easier.

19. dqami

dqami Squier Talker

Jan 25, 2012
    oc
    Mine seems to have worked itself out! First, I noticed on certain positions on the volume knobs on either pickup, the middle position would sound normal. Last night I played it and I had no problems so hoping it worked itself out.

I checked out many videos this week on Youtube on working on hollowbodies. Good idea to check them out.

Mister Noonan likes this.
  20. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    When I re wired a hollow body, I used fish tank aerator tubing. It fit tightly over the pot shafts without falling off, and was flexible enough to bend wherever. It was still such a PITA that I was about to just cut an access hole in the back...

willhowl likes this.