Hand-wired 5W Tweed Champ $245 delivered!

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by Michael7, May 17, 2019.

1. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

Just stumbled across this on Ali Express. You can't buy a kit here for anywhere close to this price, much less an assembled combo in tweed.

Might be a good buy for you knowledgeable electronics guys. They're probably as reliable as a Monoprice or similar. Even if some parts failed at a future date, they could probably be readily replaced as needed with US built components.

It's actually a slightly different circuit, since it has a tone control, which the Champ doesn't.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5-W...?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.66ae4a5buvzeG9&s=p

Note in the fine print that the recent tariffs aren't included in the price. No idea if this kind of item is subject to them or not.

Looks like these could be the same at this amp.

Rat cam 68, Treynor, dbrian66 and 2 others like this.
  2. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Squier-Nut

Feb 13, 2019
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I'm holding for a Monoprice Stage Right which are currently on B/O. I'm hoping that the recent tariffs won't make that price rise or I'll be waiting even longer. I'm sure many things coming from China not affected by the tariffs will rise anyway as Americans won't know that the price rise is not due to tariffs. They will simply blame the US government and not the Chinese that a are taking advantage of it to make a few more yen on US sales.

3. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Wow, that is a deal!

If I didn't have my Sweet Baby amp I'd be all over it.

-don

4. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Maybe they were trying for a tweed Princeton.

5. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

Here's a US vendor selling these amps. Maybe the description is enough to say more about the circuit. I think you know way more about the electrical side than I do.

https://reverb.com/item/419380-bird-bee-classic-5-5w-tweed-all-tube-combo-amp

Specs:
    • Single-ended Class A design
    • Handwired turret board construction all tube circuit
    • 5 watts via single 6V6 output tube
    • Single 12AX7 preamp tube
    • Single 6Z4 vacuum tube rectifier
    • Volume and Tone controls
    • 8 inch 8ohm branded Celestion speaker
    • Dimensions: 33x19x33cm
    • Weight: 8.2kg

6. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

I'd need to see the schematic to know the details, but the Princeton had a tone control, so that's why I wonder if that's what they were basing this amp on. Otherwise the Champ and Princeton were pretty much the same circuit.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice