Had my CV 50s about a week now...

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by Squierplayer1, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Squierplayer1

Squierplayer1 Squier-Meister

Feb 10, 2019
    so cal
    ....and i know it's not news to most of you but this thing is beyond a ridiculously good deal. Like all squiers there are parts that certainly are not to shelf. The switch and nut are the worse of it. The bridge saddles are ok but having owned a few other CV teles i know how they sound compared to a fender AVRI plate with fender brass and i prefer the latter. So i have been modding mine with mostly the same stuff i put on any tele, and most of it i already had in the parts drawer. Bone nut, fender locking vintage style tuners, fender 62 custom bridge pickup and dimarzio twang king neck, USA switch and CTS vol pot, wired it my way and added a treble bleed. Oh, and the one thing i didn't have and had to go buy.....an electrosocket. Funny thing is, the stock cup and clip were so solid i realized i didn't need the electrosocket, the one part i had to buy ! But what the heck, threw it in there anyways.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but i've owned everything from andersons to fender AVRI and other USA fenders, MIM classic series, MIJ this and that. The list is endless. And I'm almost cringing as i write this because i know how others will take it, but i swear i have never owned a better made fender style guitar. I could go on an on about details concerning the quality compared to even USA fender but whats the point. I just cannot find anything about it from the standpoint of quality or playability or tone that takes a back seat to anything. That may seem like a crazy statement considering it's a $400 tele (used i paid $200!) but after 5 decades of an endless stream of fender style guitars mostly i have pretty much seen it all, and this thing takes a back seat to nothing i've seen. There are a couple CV50s vs AVRI 52 videos on youtube and in one where the posted did not tell which clis were the CV and which the 52, almost every reply chose the CV as the better sounding one ! I happen to prefer poly too, so for me thats a plus unlike so many who like nitro and feel poly seems like cheap plastic. I love it ! The most amazing thing on both this and my CV 50s strat are the neck pockets. I literally cannot recall a fender from USA on down that had a neck pocket as tight and perfect in every respect as my 2 CVs.

Ok, so there ya go. I know what it sounds like because i have read others raving about cheap gear, some that i have used and feel isn't all that which makes them seem like raving luntics Well, maybe i am too but damn, i can't believe how good this tele is in the under $1000 range. Better then the MIM classic series. (of which i have had both the 50s and 60s teles) I cannot put the thing down. If you blindfolded me and you told me it was a AVRI I wouldn't be a bit surprised, tho i'd probably think to myself that fender must have fixed that horrible sticky nitro formula. :) Gotta hand it to those chinese. They really know how to build a guitar.

jackdragbean, Caddy, snivlem and 16 others like this.
  2. waynes world

waynes world Squier-Meister

Jan 27, 2019
    Saskatoon
    That ones on my list!

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  3. jamndad

jamndad Squier-holic

Nov 23, 2013
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    A better guitar for the price, one may never find.

4. squierbilly

squierbilly Dr. Squier

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    Welcome to the squier hawkers
    Now you know what the lunatics are raving about..
    The CV teles really hold their value too.. better than strats..

5. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    CV neck on my Tele is outstanding . It doesn't have that darker yellow tint ,so there is no sticky ,gummy feeling to it . Just a nice smooth fast playing neck :0)

6. Squierplayer1

Feb 10, 2019
    so cal
    Should be on everyone's lis!
    Thing is, i already knew having owned the thinline and custom and currently the 50s strat. But each time i am reminded of how incredible they are. The thinline is gone because the mahogany was just to bright for me and the custom...well, i had 2 of them. First the burst which has such a thin neck i could not get used to it. Then later i saw a white one with black binding and couldn't resist hoping maybe i would be able to deal with it this time because the neck seemed slightly bigger Must have been hopeful thinking because later i sold it for the same reason. But the point is i know how amazing they are even is some have features that i can;t deal with. When i bought the strat i did so because the neck wasn't too thin and the new tele because the neck was the same as the strat and it was dirt cheap at $200. But i think this tele is my fav CV so far even tho the strat is amazing too. But this tele is no doubt going to make for a VERY long honeymoon stage ! You know that feeling....you can't stop playing it but when you do stop you're either holding it or looking at it. :D

7. beagle

beagle Squier Talker

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    I've had mine a couple of months. I played it in the shop, along with a Baja and a MIM, no contest. Last time I felt I needed to buy a Squier this much was in 1983 with a JV Strat. This time I didn't hesitate.

SquierTap, daan, duggerh and 2 others like this.
  8. Matt Shevell

Matt Shevell Squier-Meister

Feb 5, 2018
    New York
    Yo yo yo Congrats!

We NEED A PIC!!!

9. Squierplayer1

Feb 10, 2019
    so cal
    Well, you've seen a million of em but since u asked. Oh, and 8 Lb, 5 oz by the way. Just very slightly heavier then my preference of 8 or less but too close to complain. Theres a 3 play black guard on the way too. I just like that look much better plus the stock guard is a bit warped.

[​IMG]

10. Conghaille

Conghaille Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2016
    Chicago
    I know what you mean. My 50's CV (60th Anniv) Strat and my 50's CV Tele are two of my favorite, most playable guitars.

Congrats!

11. Squierplayer1

Feb 10, 2019
    so cal
    Yeah thats a great pair. I absolutely love the strat and mine is the anni too i think, white w/gold aluminum guard. By the way, if yours is the same you might try removing the guard and putting a plastic one on and removing the cavity paint shielding wire. It really came alive when i did that. The excessive shielding really dulled the top end.

EDIT: Ahh, i see yours is gold i assume from your avatar. Well, to anyone who DOES have the metal guard u may wanna try that especially if you feel it could use a little chimier top end.

12. kohoutec

kohoutec Squier Talker

Dec 17, 2016
    GB
    I'm with you! Kind of new here (well, registered ages ago but only just got myself a Squier, also a CV, 2011 model).
    I got mine used from Facebook Marketplace, it's had a hard life so pretty beaten up and isn't the prettiest example, but i just love it. I bought it with the plan of modding the life out of it, but all I'm going to do is put an Electrosocket in there and be done with it.

Loads of life left in the frets (although I've read in a few places the wire can be quite soft on these?), pickups sound great, electrics all good. I might get round to a new switch one day, but as it stands I'm just going to play it and be happy :D
    I've had lots of Fender Tele's over the years and this is up there with all of them, I'm staggered really.

SquierTap and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  13. Squierplayer1

Feb 10, 2019
    so cal
    I wouldn't bother with the electrosocket. I only put one in because i thought the stock cup was going to be the typical junk that you get with any tele where the little metal frame that is inside eventually works loose. Boy was i wrong. it took some muscle to get it out and had i known i would never have bought the electrosocket. Just make sure you tighten the nut well and put a star washer in there is there isn't one ( can't recall if mine had one) and even a touch of lcktie and i doubt u will ever have to touch it again. Like i said above, the chinese are really good at this guitar building thing ! And by the way, been over 2 months now and i not only still love this thing, but its almost all i play and it's kicked my #1 (for 20 years now) out of first place !

SquierTap, Caddy and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  14. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-holic

Mar 11, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    When you find "the one" you know it!

15. Rheumatic Monkey

Rheumatic Monkey New Member

Apr 18, 2019
    USA
    I just got one last Friday for $90 from a pawn shop in "like new" condition, except for a big chunk of paint and the toggle switch tip missing, crazy story.

I already have a MIM, a Gibson Les Paul, a couple of cheap Ibanez and a LTD and decided I would not buy any more guitars. But last week, I saw a new CV strat for $200 on Craigslist, pickguard still wrapped in plastic, I really wanted it because it had a maple fingerboard, which none of my guitars have, and because I had heard great things about CVs. After debating against the idea for 2 days, I decided I would not get it, only if it was a tele; I always wanted one (Syd Barrett fan).

Anyway, next day I decided to get a cheap tele to make up for the CV from Craigslist. I only wanted to spend up to $150 on another guitar and went looking in every pawn shop in town dreaming of a CV (knowing it was impossible). I would be really happy to find a standard for $150 or an affinity/bullet for a better price, if I could not find one, I would just go get a bullet from GC for 179.

After visiting 7 pawn shops out of 8 in town, no Telecasters at all, except a MIM for $989 (?). Then, in the last store, I saw saw a Squier, no Affinity or Bullet on the headstock, so I assumed it was a standard (I was not familiar with Squiers). It was $100, really in excellent condition, I don't think it was ever played, only dropped, I got a $10 discount because of the big chip on the finish and went home. Looked up online to see what it really was and it turned out to be a 2015 50's CV.

It really is a great guitar, not inferior to the MIM or to the Gibson at all.

Attached Files:

squierbilly, jamie t, txflood and 2 others like this.
  16. kohoutec

kohoutec Squier Talker

Dec 17, 2016
    GB
    Fair enough... It's already on the way but I just had a look and as you say the metal clip is pretty well wedged in there, so I'll keep it in reserve in the parts bin for now.
    Can't get over how good this guitar is especially considering what I paid for it.

17. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

Great Score - that chip picture really shows how thick the factory finish is !

18. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN

That's a great find! Even with the damage.

19. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-holic

Mar 11, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    I have a new theory about damage on guitars.
    If it is where you can not see it while playing,
    it's "out of sight out of mind". So your chip is perfect, as you can not see it while you play, and you can concentrate on having fun. You did get a GREAT DEAL for sure.
    Enjoy!!

20. brentg

brentg Squier Talker

Nov 20, 2015
    Squierplayer , Hope you enjoy your CV they sound and play awesome for the price...good value

Rheumatic Monkey ... Wow looking at your damage pic I had no idea the finish was that thick, They wrap that pine like a M&M :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice