had hands on 2 of the new indonesian CVs today

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by Squierplayer1, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Squierplayer1

Squierplayer1 Squier-Meister

Feb 10, 2019
    so cal
    The white 70s strat which i was considering but had to see first, and the 72 thinline tele with WRHB pups. The latter i was NOT considering because i have been thru a lot with WRHB's and could never get the low strings from being muddy w/o adjusting the amp and then the trble strings become unusable. Best i could get from them was muddy lows that get lost in a band mix. I tried everything, more than most anyone has tried believe me.

Anyways, the tele had a "soft maple" body which i wasn't expecting because i wasn't interested in it due to the WRHB so i never checked the specs. But i gotta say, having owned the chinese vintage modified version of that model i found this one's neck worlds better. The chunkiest CV neck to date and it had that 70s shoulder which i don't prefer usually but this neck felt very good. The neck on my chine version was horrible. Crazy thin with a sharp edge due to no shoulder to speak of. Fret ends were smooth. I didn't plug in but the acoustic sound revealed a VERY snappy sound that was smooth with give to it, not plinky and harsh like my ex china 72TL. Probably the snappiest acoustic sound i have ever heard from any fender or squier. No doubt due to the soft maple body which by the way looked nice. Maybe being soft maple vs hard rock like they use for necks, it work well as a body material and gets great snap w/o tinniness? Anyways, i don't think i can ever go the WRHB route again after my experiences with them with my china version and my MIM version i had earlier. But i gotta say, that tele had me thinking about it ! I actually love the WRHB sound generally, i just can't deal with the unbalanced tone between the wound and plain strings. By the way, had an original 72TL back in the 70s and they're right about the originals....they DID sound better then any remake likely due to the cunife magnets. Anyways, i never thought i'd say this but i am thinking about trying one thanks to the the 45 day return policy. I just have a gut feeling that soft maple body may have been chosen to offset the negative tonal properties i and many others find with the WRHBs. So far with the CVs i have had they really seem to be carefully choosing woods and components to work together to make for great tone and this may be another example of that.

Second one was the 70s strat. Not so thrilled with that one. The acoustic tone WAS tinny and cheap sounding like i always notice in bad sounding cheap guitars. The fret ends were also horrible. You could slice a beef roast with that neck. Neck pocket wasn't horrible, but not perfect like every CV i have owned. Wasn't thrilled overall and that one WAS on my list but not any longer. All thats left now is the new Indo version of the CVC. It is nato with indian laurel board so i have no idea what to expect sonically. But i'm waiting till they show up.

2. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Burnin some Nitro...
    Good to know, thanks for sharing.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  3. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Oops. Wrong forum.

Supposed to be in the Cowboyszone forum.

4. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Where are the pics at ? images.jpeg

5. Squierplayer1

Feb 10, 2019
    so cal
    I didn't buy one, just checked them out in the store.

By the way, upon checking these out online it seems the sunburst model isn't maple, it's poplar according to sweetwater and MF. But on the fender site it only states soft maple and doesn't mention anywhere that the burst is poplar. Anyone know whats going on there?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    Kenneth Mountain and fattboyzz like this.
  6. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    I just thought you mightà thought of us poor unfortunate souls who haven't even seen one yet and snapped some close-ups :D:p:D

Kenneth Mountain and squierbilly like this.
  7. Squierplayer1

Feb 10, 2019
    so cal
    I'm old school. Don't have a cell phone. Got a camera, but i don't carry it around with me.

8. txflood

txflood Squier-Meister

Dec 10, 2014
    North Carolina
  9. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    The 70s Strat should be widely available already, as it's been out since January's NAMM show. It's the 50s and 60s Strats and Teles which we're still waiting to see, 'cause they were introduced at Summer NAMM in July, but haven't begun shipping to dealers yet. A couple of members here have the 70s Strat already.

10. GuyF

GuyF Squier Talker

Oct 14, 2019
    Scotland
    Bought an Indonesian Butterscotch CV 50's Tele at the weekend. Some elements are very good and others not so good (but acceptable for the price).

The good:
    Great pickups (Alnico V rather than III?) - bright without being brittle. No microphonics. Plenty twang and spank available when clean plus enough juice to go full-on metal when the feeling takes you (amp is a Mesa/Boogie Studio pre & 50/50 power amp).
    Slim neck - really comfortable though if you have large hands you might find it too thin. Glossy lacquer but feels good though I might eventually sand it off the rear of the neck as I prefer bare/oiled wood.
    Fret ends nicely finished except for the bass side at the 17th & 18th frets - a bit sharp but your hand will never touch those (unless you have some new weird style of playing).
    No blemishes in the finish. Poly on body appears quite thick but is well done.
    Good value - only £339.

The ok/acceptable for the money:
    Quality control missed a few things (those with OCD should look away now) - string tree was installed just a bit off centre so the strings would bind. More or less sorted by rotating it slightly to better align the two grooves and adding a small bit of vaseline to help lubricate it. The bridge plate has been installed slightly skewd too so the strings don't pass directly over the bridge pickup's pole pieces. A bit annoying but I doubt it affects their output.
    Action is a personal taste but bends at 12th - 14th fret would choke. A tweak of the truss rod and saddles sorted that. Action is now acceptably low and buzz free.
    Still need to adjust the intonation a bit but will probably replace the steel saddles with compensated brass ones - anyone got any recommendations? Wilkinson or Gotoh?

I've noticed the bodies of the Chinese ones have much more grain visible and the string tree is almost adjacent to the G string whereas the Indonesian guitars have far less grain and the string tree is nearer the nut at the A string.

I think manufacturing was moved from China thanks to trade wars and tarriffs but there could be more to it than that.

All in all I'm very pleased with the guitar especially as I'd been looking at teles in the £1700 - £2700 range! As the ideal number of guitars you own is n+1 where n is the number of guitars you currently have, this gives me money to spend on something else. Hmmmm, a Les Paul Gold Top with P90s......(*thinks* Probably the same level of quality control).

Hope that's been helpful!

11. Squierplayer1

Feb 10, 2019
    so cal
    2 questions, mainly out of curiosity since i have a china 50s already. But i'm curious. 1-have you played the chinese one and if so how do the neck sizes compare? 2-have you weighed it and if so how much?

12. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    On the Chinese CV Teles, the BSB one had Alnico Vs, and the White Blonde had hotter Alnico IIIs. On the Strat side, the Chinese CV 50s Strat had Alnico IIIs, and the CV 60s Strat had Alnico Vs. On the old ones, all the pickups were sourced from Tonerider, where the new ones are "Fender designed" with source unknown.

Kenneth Mountain and Jim Belaye like this.
  13. Squierplayer1

Feb 10, 2019
    so cal
    The A5 set in my CV60s strat is one of my fav strat sets ever. It's crazy, but i have a set of van zandts that have been my #1 set for decades, and sets of fender fat 50s and 57/62s and i rank the OEM toneriders as good as any of those and IMO better then the fat 50s. All subjective of course, but there is absolutely nothing cheap about the tone of those things. The A3s in the 50s CV strat i recently sold were great too, but very different from the typical A5 strat sets. All great tho. The stock A5 set in my 50s CV tele are not as good to my ear as the strat sets. They're good, but i replaced them with my fav tele set and am happier then the stock set. But the toneriders, OEM or tonerider branded are as good as anything out there at mere mortal prices at least. Had the previously mentioned 3 strat sets in and out of my CV 60s many times before finally realizing they just beat all 3 of my other sets.
    I hope the new CV pickups are as good, but if i had to wager i'd say they likely won't be at the level where it becomes 100% subjective.

14. GuyF

GuyF Squier Talker

Oct 14, 2019
    Scotland
    Sorry, no I wasn't able to try a Chinese one though I would suspect the necks are very similar simply because you would think Fender would supply both factories with the same spec requirements and sign off on the initial production runs. Maybe I'm assuming too much there but that's my guess.

As for the weight, I don't have any scales but it is lighter than my USA Strat Plus but it still has a bit of heft to it. So not a boat anchor but also not too light. Sorry I can't be more specific!

15. GuyF

GuyF Squier Talker

Oct 14, 2019
    Scotland
    I can't find anything on the web to say if the latest Indonesian guitars use exactly the same Alnico V pickups or not. Just because they are listed as 'Fender-designed' with no info on the manufacturer doesn't mean they're possibly lower quality compared to, say, Tonerider but having played dozens of guitars over the last 30-odd years I can say the ones in my Tele are crisp and clear. If the Chinese guitars have better pickups then I'd be REALLY impressed!

16. BuddyLee

BuddyLee Squier-Meister

Aug 30, 2019
    Liberty SC
    In a recent Anderton's video Lee said they were new and redesigned fwiw.

17. domdavid

domdavid Squier Talker

Aug 3, 2017
    Italy
    Not Tonerider, actually. Fender get China CV pickup from the same China factory where scottish company Tonerider, with own spec, source their pickup. That doesn't mean to be Tonerider.

Rat cam 68 likes this.
  18. GuyF

GuyF Squier Talker

Oct 14, 2019
    Scotland
    I think the Anderton's video you allude to was referring to the latest '70s CV models as the Squire page on the Fender site no longer mentions the '50s guitars.

Just had a look at the Tonerider website - although designed in the south of England, they're made just outside of Hong Kong. I couldn't find any info saying they supply Squire. If they did, I imagine they'd advertise the fact though it's possible any contract with a large manufacturer like Squire might state they cannot explicitly say it's their pickups in 'Brand X' guitars.

19. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    If you compare the specs on some Tonerider Strat and Tele pickups, it's easy to see which CV pickups have the same specs. No one actually claimed that the CV pickups were Tonerider branded, which is a brand name registered in the UK, only that they came from the same factory and have identical specs as some Tonerider models. For example, Tonerider's Surfari Alnico III Strat pickups are model TRS5. The Alnico III pickups on the Chinese CV 50s Strat are STA5, and have identical specs, except for cloth vs. teflon hookup wires. And the CV 60s Strat Alnico V pickups are STA3, while the identical Tonerider is TRS3, called Classic Blues. Everyone also knows that Fender strings are made by Daddario, although they can't say it outright. In an email to me from one of Fender's customer service reps he said "the colored ball ends should be a clue as to who makes our strings for us".

GuyF and drewcp like this.
  20. domdavid

domdavid Squier Talker

Aug 3, 2017
    Italy
    In my CV 60s strat i swap stock pickup with Tonerider Classic Blues and YES, sound different; more bell sounding and defined tone. That shouldn't be the case, following your statement.
    Only placebo? Pickup damaged? Who knows...
    The truth is that all our statement are only speculation based on a "wanna belive" feeling.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice