Guy gets scammed.

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Las Palmas Norte, Sep 14, 2019.

1. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I have more than one Instagram account. More than one YouTube channel. More than one Twitter...etc. I don't have multiples for every site, but I am, at minimum, registered on darn near every platform.

I was raised probably fairly similar to @mofojar in the sense that everyone online is out to abduct you, so you don't share anything kind of advice.

I've completely gone the opposite way from that. I'm not going to try and sway anyone's opinion, but I think social media is what you make it, and it's helpful to understand that in general, if you aren't paying for a product or service, you are the product.

I think we can look back through media across all of history and think of ways that folks could have complained about the spread of information. A lot of those kinds of complaints are well documented. As an example, as printed news was becoming popular, why would someone opt to pay a newspaper to run an ad/classified for their product when they could just stand on the corner, or drive to the town where they are hoping to sell the goods and yell on the corner? Maybe because it could reach more people?

So, the cost of me being able to upload a photo of a life event, or ask for help from years worth of friends in an instant isn't a one time, or recurring fee (like a newspaper listing, that could go out to who knows how many strangers) the price is getting targeted ads, and knowing that my data is largely disassociated from me as an individual and used to inform companies, and I'm ok with that.

In regards to Facebook specifically, I get to select which things I share with the world, and which are only shared with my immediate family. I get to share those things nearly instantly. I don't have to wait for the Wells Fargo Wagon or the Pony Express or find stamps and wait a week or more, you get the point.

I'm ranting on the other side of the argument now, so I'm going to leave it at that for the time being.

2. johntrem

johntrem Squier-Meister

So let me get this straight...some sexy young thing took some old guy for all of his money? Wow,...I can't imagine that's ever happened before.

3. mofojar

mofojar Squier-Nut

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    One thing I do know is that when my current project is nearing completion, I will take out the normal social media accounts that a musician trying to promote his music will do.

I'm probably going to release it under a pseudonym, but I will make a Facebook/YouTube/Insta or whatever else is hot in the attempt to get the tunes out there.

And hopefully I can post some it here on the My Music board!

Kenneth Mountain and drewcp like this.
  4. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Screen Shot 2019-09-17 at 12.55.45 PM.png

Such were the sign P.T. Barnum put up at his early tent shows. Barkers brought the people in. "See the famous half man/half woman." That sign got them quickly out. "Hey, I wanna see that Great Egress!"

It is not the technology that gets us into such silly situations, it's the human condition. And in truth blaming the technology -- and feeling perhaps superior for "knowing better" -- is for all I've seen just another part of that condition.

Hey, you're either happy and content and positive and involved, or you're not. And I expect that since the first cave and the first form of 'grog' were discovered discontented people have been looking for a place where they can quell their loneliness and ease their aching hearts.

FB can do that. As can the local pub. And dating sites. And a whole host of similarly purposed places and things.

And yes, if people are there so will be scammers. And the bait in the trap will be what is most desired.

Chomp, chomp.

-don

SoundDesign and brians like this.
  5. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Prior to Uber, you didn't have taxis in Calgary? :)

Anyone doing that here would be a forum hero, not an oversharer. :)

6. mofojar

mofojar Squier-Nut

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    Of course! It's just a little different to phone a taxi company or hail an unhired taxi than it is to go on the internet and request whatever random person happens to be looking for a gig. Taxis are a more official, established business with clear rules of engagement. Cabs have to be in decent shape and no less than a few years old, drivers need a Class 4 license, and so on.

I will say that since Uber has been around I haven't rode in a single taxi.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  7. I think if you look at that from a Canadian media statement point, aimed at a Canadian audience, it make perfect sense.
    It's no different than if a similar situation was being reported on in the US, which I've heard before.
    Cheers, Barrie. :)

drewcp and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  8. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

Uber is the Ebay of rides, in that riders are given very significant power in the transaction and drivers are (unfortunately) almost disposable. I have had the misfortune of being hustled by cab drivers on numerous occasions (eg. "Oh I knew when they dispatched me that you wanted to go there but I didn't know you wanted to go there!"). I have never been "hustled" by an Uber driver. The price on the sticker is what you pay. The cars are typically decent and the drivers are personable.

Davis Sharp and drewcp like this.
  9. eaglesgift

eaglesgift Squier-holic

Apr 18, 2014
    Chiang Mai, Thailand
    They're trying to insist people use their real names these days though and that certainly counts as personal info to me. I'm not sure who they think they are really - they are starting to act like some sort of government entity (with regard to the number of times you can change your name on an account and the reasons they give for the limit).

10. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    The idea is that there would be less scams and hate on the internet if people used their real names. The result would be that the number of posts/hits/likes/shares will drop precipitously and the internet will lose advertisers.

drewcp likes this.
  11. eaglesgift

eaglesgift Squier-holic

Apr 18, 2014
    Chiang Mai, Thailand
    Yeah I understand the rationale but my immediate reaction was "Who the hell do they think they are?" It's just a website when all's said and done. And tbh, I'm not sure I buy the reasons they give. I think they just want more personal info, like Twitter pretending I've breached an imaginary rule and demanding my telephone number to verify my account.

Viking and fadetoz like this.
  12. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
  13. Hektor

Hektor Squier Talker

Jul 17, 2019
    Europe
    or Facebook wanting me to upload a copy of a driving permit, or other official piece of identity... "for reasons".... Uh huh. Yeah, right. I am going to do that right away....

eaglesgift likes this.
  14. eaglesgift

eaglesgift Squier-holic

Apr 18, 2014
    Chiang Mai, Thailand
    Yeah, that's ridiculous. Maybe they've started doing things like this in preparation for the launching of their payment system/crypto currency or whatever it is they're doing but it's not right. When I joined Facebook, I did so under the impression I could be anonymous, as I am on here and Twitter. I don't use my real name.

Hektor likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice