Guitars you thought you'd love, but turned out disliking

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Shaytan, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Tconroy

Tconroy Squier-Nut

Sep 11, 2015
    kansas city mo
    epiphone ES 339 pelahm blue. Could not bond with it and the 12" radius. I traded it even up for the 2008 fender strat in my avatar ( the right one) and never looked back. This one has fender lace sensors neck and mid with a Dimarzio heavy blues II in the bridge.This is my go to guitar. I play it more than the rest! Always been a strat guy and always will be! My 3 amigos is all I need.

Dr Improbable, Davey and Luvs2yoko like this.
  2. squier-esquire

squier-esquire Squier-holic

May 27, 2012
    USA
    I had seen a 1970 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop on Reverb. I read and reread the ad, found a 1970 Sunburst for sell locally at a shop to play to make sure I’d like it.

I bought it and anticipated it showing up. When it arrived, my heart skipped! She was just as beautiful as I hoped; few character dings, some greening of the body but all added to my pining for this guitar.

I tuned her up and plugged her in. Once my hand landed on the neck.... this wasn’t the same feel as the other one.... but we’ll give her a chance.

Pick sliding across the strings... murky. I immediately tried to change my amp and tone settings; still sounded like she was under water.

Played for about an hour and regretted it. Since it was original, I didn’t want to swap pups or anything. Put her for sale and made a few bucks, but never found one of that pre Norlin era that I cared for after that.

Big tuna and SquierTap like this.
  3. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    I LOVE those black "tux" Teles with matching headstock... All it needs is white binding to qualify as my dream guitar, lol...

4. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Boy, am I EVER in THAT boat!!! Lol...

5. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Essentially any guitar with a narrow neck and/or long scale and/or thin neck and/or small radius ... they ain't for me. Zero GAS in that department, totally gasless.

EDIT: Forgot to mention wieght. Too much of it ... out. I like my guitars light, don't want to have to fight them.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    Davey likes this.
  6. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    image.jpeg
    I modded mine and tried to bond with it. Still trying, I think it's just that I am kinda large and it is so small. It feels like a toy. Sounds great, not giving up yet.

7. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    Wow, just goes to show you. Other than the narrow neck (which I do not like) all those things are what I look for and require in a keeper.

so1om and DrBeGood like this.
  8. Dave M

Dave M Squier-Nut

Feb 27, 2017
    Mira Loma, CA
    Well...I found out through Money and error...
    Epi Sheraton 2...too big
    prs...too short feeling...like playing a mini...lol
    VM 70's ....hate Maple boards.....
    Epi ES339.....semi-hollow body...just don't care for them
    Funny alot of my builds..had more fun redoing them than playing them.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    Davey likes this.
  9. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    That's exactly why there are so many different guitars out there.

So, next time I stumble on a guitar I don't like, I know I have a buyer ;)

Davey likes this.
  10. Beave

Beave New Member

Mar 12, 2019
    Griffin Ga.
    Martin drs1. Non existing top end. Thought something was wrong with it till I read a post where another guy thought the same thing about his. Martin D15 better but still dead sounding e and b strings. Got lucky and bought em cheap and sold em cheap. Then I got a d-16rgt killer bass but still weak treble even read a post where someone else thought the same. I have about 23 acoustics so I know the good ones. The bass is super on the d-16 and d-15. Maybe great bass makes for weak treble

11. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I've purchased many that I thought I would love, but didn't hold on to:

Several Epi LPC's - tried to recreate that Gibson LPC magic. Too light, and not the same.
    Squier VM - too light. I'm not a fan of basswood. I need something heavy to remind me that I'm alive.
    CV - neck too thin for my fat fingers
    Affinity - thin neck, thin body
    Bullet - thin neck, thin body, small body
    FSR Tele - thin neck
    PRS SE - very uncomfortable with the neck
    Contemporary - thin neck

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice