Guitars you thought you'd love, but turned out disliking

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Shaytan, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    I love telecasters and love offsets, but this just didn't cut it for some reason. Didn't even have it long enough to take a real pic. image.jpeg

squierbilly likes this.
  2. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I can't do guitars with thin necks.

Dr Improbable likes this.
  3. oneLOCOman

oneLOCOman Squier-Nut

Oct 2, 2018
    Missouri
    $600 in 1957, WOW, that's like $5,000 today. You had serious GAS back then. Ha.. Does it ever get better Papa Joe?
    Please say it does!!!

4. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    The Squier 51. Epi Special II AFD. Epi Junior. Glen Burton SG. Squier Affinity Strat.

The jury is still out on my VM Jaguar. I've only played it maybe 4 times since I bought it. I don't really play the kind of music that you play on a Jaguar. I like it but I don' like the way it sounds. It doesn't have any sustain. I like guitars that have a lot of sustain. It was one of the last ones with a Rosewood neck. I really thought that I would like it more than i do.

5. oneLOCOman

oneLOCOman Squier-Nut

Oct 2, 2018
    Missouri
    Blond Squier Std Tele. Felt like a cheap guitar, didn't like much about it but the looks.

Davey likes this.
  6. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    No it wasn't GAS..
    I've told this story before but I'll repeat it here for ya..
    I was perfectly content with my old flat top Gibson..
    It was nice warm day in the spring of 1957 when my wife and I went into town to do the weekly shopping..I needed strings for my Gibby and went into the little mom and pop music store..
    The rep from Guild was there trying to convince the lady owner to take this guitar on consignment..I needed a bib to catch the drool..
    I had no intention of buying it, just a dream.
    It was my wife that pulled my trigger..She said we can afford this and I want you to have it..Bingo..
    I had a very good paying job and 1st class credit so the guitar went home with us..
    In less than a few weeks I was making money with it..

Jackal, drewcp, duceditor and 6 others like this.
  7. oneLOCOman

oneLOCOman Squier-Nut

Oct 2, 2018
    Missouri
    HaHaHa. That's a good one. The Cool dude in the sunglasses is me circa 1959. Cow town OK city.
    [​IMG]

Jackal and mb doug like this.
  8. howserx

howserx Squier-Meister

Apr 20, 2017
    Winnipeg, Canada
    My Epi LP Pro. Beautiful guitar (honey burst with the plus top) but heavy. the neck has a strange carve to it as well, kinda flat. I get used to it quick when I play it but it's certainly not my go to. the sound is a little flat too. All in all my most "Meh" guitar. It's also the only one I bought sight unseen. I put down a big depost for an Ibanez ag95(in my sig photo) but the rep took 4-5 months before he told the store I was trying to buy it from that there were none to be had anywhere. So I said "Get me one of those..." and ordered the LP. The next time I buy sight unseen it will be one Hell of a deal.

9. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Gretsch G5623 Electromatic. The full-width body was to big for my frame and it wasn't comfortable to play while seated. So I swore off full-sized hollows and semi-hollows. I liked the filter'Trons though, so when I bought the smaller G2655 Centerblock Jr, I swapped out the pups for FTs.

drewcp, BlueSquirrel and Loin Lover like this.
  10. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    I seem to be able to keep everything I have bought -very fortunate.

There are some guitars that I play more than others and in recent years I have become more particular -lighter and slim neck are key. If it's an acoustic, the smaller the body, the better. My age is starting to show.

I have my old 1960 Melody Maker, man that neck is thicker than some guitar bodies! I love my old Gretsch Rally, but dang that thing is huge and the neck is wide and the fretboard is flat as a pancake. The cool Kramer Baretta! I lusted after one in high school and scored nearly the exact one I wanted for less than $200. The weird Floyd Rose and flat fretboard... I have a lot of guitars and I keep them all for the variety. I may not be able to cut a fast lick on one of them, but maybe a few bouncy chords will do. Maybe I can't stand the mudbucker of my EB-3 when I'm trying to use it in a punk band, but it's good for just playing a few songs around the house.

Everything seems to have it's place.

A few guitars that I would take to a gig/jam where I would have to do a little of everything: G-400, Cyclone, Bullet HH.

DJGranite likes this.
  11. Gloveberg

Gloveberg Squier-holic

Aug 30, 2015
    West Texas
    Epi LP Special w/P90's - I heard so much about these so I picked one up when I saw one locally. To put it bluntly they are cheap pieces of crap. Couldn't sell it fast enough.

G&L Tribute ASAT Deluxe - Words cannot describe how much I hated this guitar. I traded a CV BSB Tele for it and regretted it from day one. Hated the finish, never could get it set up the way I wanted it. Has forever discouraged me from G&L.

Luckily for me that is really the only two I can think of that I really disliked. I've sold or traded away guitars just because I either wanted something else or they didn't fill a need I had.

Loin Lover likes this.
  12. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Isn't that funny. I lOVE that guitar!

I changed the tuners (although in truth the originals weren't that bad).
    I changed the knobs just because.
    And after that it's been play, play, play. That while my pricy classic Gibbies sit feeling unloved.

As to guitar I ended up hating... none.

My biggest frustration is not being able so far to find a useful sound from the White Holiday's piezo PUP. But I love the guitar with the Vistatone wailing. (Prettiest guitar I've got -- and wow, that trem unit!)

White Holiday Detail.jpg

-don

drewcp and waynes world like this.
  13. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Yeah Papa Joe - I've been a long time Guild fan but was always on the fence with their jazz boxes..... I've played a couple of jazz masters I really liked.... and there is certainly a lot to like about them, too.

14. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    DSCN2753.JPG Fender Brown Derby Biscuit Resonator. Can't hurt to ask, ANY TRADES?

15. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    Gibson SG Bass: too neck heavy, awkwardly protrudes toward the fret hand (like your sg400)
    Epiphone 5120B: neck heavy due to the hollow body, feedback, and wayyy too delicate for gigging with.
    Violin basses: same deal as both of the above, but all at once.
    Les Paul: too damn heavy (though maybe an Epi bolt on isn’t so bad?)
    Pointy shredder guitars: just god awful ugly to me.
    I’ve also found that a fretboard flatter than 12” is a deal breaker for me, I don’t really like 12 either, but I tolerate it.
    And lastly.....
    STRATS! I love the neck and body shape, but the controls are just stupid. The neck volume is right where I always hit it with my hand, the switch leaves out neck&bridge combo, the jack plate is also annoying in that it’s one more part to take off to work on it. The term is pretty useless to me, too. If they’d put Jaguar style slider switches for an ON/OFF for each pickup, hardtail, and a master tone and volume, I’d be about it. I put jazz bass knobs on mine to make the Knob smaller and it helps, but it’s still not my first choice...ever.

so1om and Loin Lover like this.
  16. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Ovation. It had tremendous round back tone and played very well.

I could not hold on to it with two straps, velcro, double sided tape, and a come-along.

so1om and Gloveberg like this.
  17. Gloveberg

Gloveberg Squier-holic

Aug 30, 2015
    West Texas
    Your love of the those guitars are well documented Don :D

I really tried to like it but it's just cheap in every aspect of the word. I seriously didn't like anything about it and couldn't wait to sell it. I get the
    impression that people think they are buying/getting something like the LPJr's and Special's from the 50's which are now highly sought after and I'm sorry but these are NOT those guitars.

I know everybody has their own opinion and I'm sure not everyone likes what I like which is why we are so lucky now to have so many guitars to choose from. If something makes you happy then that's all that matters :)

Luvs2yoko likes this.
  18. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Fair enough. And I hope you didn't take to hard a hit and that it found a good home.

To me it is what a Junior was -- but in a sense more.

Good neck.
    Great PUPs. And its that plural that makes it "better." Note: This from a guy who really digs one PUP guitars and rarely uses the neck PUP on any.
    Light.
    Great shape.
    Good balance.
    Nothing phony about it. It is what it is and what it is is great.

Yes, your mileage did vary. ;)

-don

All in the family. "Junior! Come in! It's time to play!" :)

Epi Junior.jpg Epiphone Special 2 copy_zpsqbkmcqdt.JPG LesPaul CM- Finish Finished WEB.jpg

19. Gloveberg

Gloveberg Squier-holic

Aug 30, 2015
    West Texas
    As long as that home was as far away as humanly possible then I was happy

I would humbly disagree but you have your opinion and I have mine....and in our own minds we're both totally right :D

20. ksandbergfl

ksandbergfl Squier-Meister

Sep 7, 2015
    I thought I wanted to add a mid-1980's whammy guitar to my collection, and found a great online deal on a 1985 MIJ Fender Tele "Contemporary" with a factory Kahler whammy. I hadn't played one before I bought it, so I wasn't sure what I was getting. It was a nice guitar but I hated the feel of the neck, and the factory pickups didn't have enough "snarl". I kept it for maybe a year and played it maybe 5 times... just couldn't fall in love with it... I ended up selling it on Craigslist.

here's my thread about it:
    http://www.squier-talk.com/threads/1985-fender-telecaster-contemporary-mij.120506/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice