Guitars you thought you'd love, but turned out disliking

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Shaytan, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-Meister

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Seeking for a new guitar that I wanted to be sure to enjoy have made me think about my past purchases that ended up being flipped and why didn't they worked out - and why playing many different models is the key to find the one that really clicks with you, and that's exactly what happened with my new PRS SE Standard 24, at least so far.

So, take my most notable/notorious example: the Epiphone SG400 that I've briefly owned or, in other words, my lesson on why not to buy guitars based on what our idols use. When I've picked that thing up I was listening to Black Sabbath all the time and. particularly, really into the style of to this day a big inspiration of mine, Mr. Tony Iommi. After deciding to buy a new guitar, I thought an SG, sharing the mellower tone of a Les Paul while being lighter and more comfortable [in theory] would be a good match.

Unfortunately, the body turned out not to be as ergonomic as I was used to, lacking the comfortable contours of a Strat. Something you don't seem to read very often about SGs, either, is that when you're playing sit down, you have to extend your fretting hand further away for a design problem: see, if you put a Strat side to side to a LP or an SG, you'll see the bridge is further down on the first, moving down the whole scale. This is not a problem on a LP given the body "waist" is further up, compensating that when playing sit down - unlike an SG, that mimics the waist of a Strat, moving the scale further out. The neck dive problem turned out to be much more fatiguing than I had anticipated and, finally, the much beefier Gibson-style necks didn't really appealed me.

20170513_130433.jpg

20170513_130333.jpg
    These are some quite crappy pics, but the only I have with my Squier [prior to all the mods, too].

Though not really making me "dislike" that guitar per se, I also wasn't as fond of having a Floyd Rose bridge on my Jackson as I'd like... not that it was bad, quite the opposite as it held tuning really nicely, but even though I do enjoy a trem on my guitars, FR's are too fiddly and quite troublesome to adjust and change tuning, and so making it not my preferred choice for my "main" axe.

Well, what about you? Pretty sure among many purchases, at least one has left a sour taste in the mouth, right?

Big tuna, SquierTap, RoyalWe and 6 others like this.
  2. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Squier-Nut

I've been playing since the 50's and always admired those big Gretsch hollow bodies. But, now that I've owned four of them, and could not get along with the harsh tones, and limited tone control, they are all gone. Best of the bunch was the 2004 6122JR, but I just could not get a tone that I liked out of it.

3. optofonik

optofonik Squier-Nut

May 18, 2016
    Somewhere, Wonderful
    Epi LP Special. Gave it to my nephew.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    SquierTap, Gloveberg and mb doug like this.
  4. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Yeah my first electric..Bought it in 1957 for $600..It was love at first sight but I was glad when I had it paid off so I could buy my 59 Jazzmaster..
    This pic is from reverb.com..Not mine..Mine was a dark sunburst..
    [​IMG]

Big tuna, SquierTap, ManKonis and 9 others like this.
  5. squierbilly

squierbilly Dr. Squier

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    Left handed guitars.. :(

SquierTap and mb doug like this.
  6. squierbilly

squierbilly Dr. Squier

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    Guild?.. what model?.. what was the problem,,
    too much guitar for ya.. :D

7. drewcp

drewcp Squier-Meister

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    Vista series Musicmaster (too thin when coil split)
    ‘51 (didn’t particularly like the humbucker tone, or the neck)

Edit: I’ve flipped a few Ibanez guitars. Couldn’t find one to keep. The pickups in the ones i’ve played have been kind of muddy.

SquierTap and RoyalWe like this.
  8. optofonik

optofonik Squier-Nut

May 18, 2016
    Somewhere, Wonderful
    Wow...

Inflation.JPG

SquierTap, Loin Lover and squierbilly like this.
  9. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-Nut

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas Coast
  10. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    It was the X375..It wasn't too much for me..Just wasn't the right one for what I was wanting to play..The only thing it had going for it was it's beauty..The pickups were very weak and dead sounding..The neck was a telephone pole..
    Those damn push button switches thumped like crazy when I pushed them..
    And every break period I had to put it in the case to protect it from flying beer bottles .lol..
    I treated my new Jazzmaster just the opposite..Didn't really care if it got beat up..And it did..

11. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    My Squier Standard Telecaster.

Body too light, would prefer some cuts on it too. Neck a little too chunked, pups kind of weak, factory nut really bad.
    Sounds OK if you have a powerful amp and can really crank it though.

If it makes any sense, I was disappointed but I still like it. :) Have some plans for it but never executed any of them. Should sell it but...........

[​IMG]

12. rbh32

rbh32 Squier-Meister

Feb 12, 2018
    Valley, AL
    My Bullet Mustang. Absolutely loved the look of it, but had to let it go bc I could not get comfortable with it.

SquierTap, RoyalWe and mb doug like this.
  13. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Me also. Of my 20-plus electrics it's my least favorite, although it looks good.

SquierTap, RoyalWe and mb doug like this.
  14. waynes world

waynes world Squier-Meister

Jan 27, 2019
    Saskatoon
    I just got a sg 400 and feel ya, compared to the elegance of a Strat it’s pretty awkward.

15. DougMen

DougMen Squier-Nut

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Every guitar that I've ever had with P90s or HBs I've eventually sold, because I've been playing Strats for so many decades that apparently the way that I play is attuned to those guitars. I even have a hard time playing a Tele because it has no vibrato.

16. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Squier-holic

Apr 4, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Anything with more than one volume knob.

Anything with a Floyd Rose.

PRS guitars. They just don't do it for me.

Flying V's. It just doesn't hang right on my pudgy body.

I always say I want a humbucker guitar, but I never like them.

SquierTap, mb doug and MrYeats like this.
  17. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-Nut

Mar 11, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    Sometimes what looks good on paper, does not translate into the real world. I have had my share pass through my hands over the years.
    What a beautiful kitty!

18. mb doug

mb doug Squier-holic

Jan 4, 2012
    Long Island
    Same, love the look but couldn't bond with it. Just gave it to my daughter. Hope she likes it.

19. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-Nut

Nov 24, 2018
    Lost in my Sticks
    I've been pretty lucky I think. I haven't had one that I didn't like. Some might play/feel better than others but have always enjoyed them all.

20. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I've had several:

PRS-SE
    Epi LPC
    Epi Explorer
    Epi V
    Squier CV

But I learned a lot about what I like and what I don't like. :)

Big tuna, Stratlover84 and Davey like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice