Guitars for Vets project

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by IronSchef, Sep 25, 2019.

1. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    Well, it looks like this is going to be a reality, as the regional director for Guitars for Vets got back to us today, and they are all in!

My son has to do a Community Service project as part of his Bar Mitzvah celebration (13 yr old "coming of age" for Jews) -- He learned about the Guitars for Vets organization this summer, and he decided he wants his project to benefit them. We talked about what we can do that isn't just collecting $$ and giving it to them, but something more meaningful ... and decided that a Guitar Building Workshop, where the Vets got to build their own guitars would be a really cool experience for him AND for the Vets. Sammy even wants to bring his drum set to jam w/ them after they finish the builds!

Right now the goal is going to be 4 Teles we will build with/for 4 local vets. Sammy will be visiting all of the local guitar shops asking for any spare parts they might want to donate to the project, and he will also be collecting $$ from family/friends -- I am expecting to have to purchase bodies and necks from these funds. I am also starting to acquire stuff piece by piece, I think I already have several pickups, pickguards, control harnesses, etc, got the guts for 2+ Teles already!

Getting really excited for this -- gonna have lots of pics to share once we hold the event :)

2. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    I might have a Tele bridge to contribute. Let me check the parts bin.

Mazel tov to young Schef.

3. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-Nut

Jul 4, 2019
    Ohio, United States
    I don't have a parts bin to share, but I would be willing to donate money. How?

4. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

I have a black Tele pickguard if you need it.

5. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier

Jun 18, 2012
    TY kind sirs! :)

6. mb doug

mb doug Squier-holic

Jan 4, 2012
    Long Island
    I have at least one set of Squier pickups if you want them.

7. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-holic

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    I've got a tele bridge pickup as well that I'd be willing to donate.

8. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier

Jun 18, 2012
    U guys rock!!

TY :)

9. dqami

dqami Squier Talker

Jan 25, 2012
    oc
    Guitar Fetish is having a sale on overstock bodies and necks. $15 necks and $25 bodies.

squierbilly and IronSchef like this.
  10. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier

Jun 18, 2012
    Thanks - I saw those, but I think I am going to go "one up" in their line and get the "budget" stuff (@ like 45 or 50 per body) - hoping I wont have to fix anything (those overstocks look a bit rough, lol)

11. Wizzer

Wizzer Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Some of the bodies are rough, but I've had good luck with the necks. I just got four of them and I'm baffled by how nice they are. $20 each(including shipping) was a steal for every one of these.

12. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier

Jun 18, 2012
    10/04/19 UPDATE:

Date for the workshop confirmed - 12/07/2019 (Pearl Harbor day, interestingly enough!)

4 specific Vets identified - and the venue identified (VA in Milwaukee) ... oh boy, got a ton of work to do to be ready for this one!!

the cool part is that I already have enough donated pickups for all four guitars - and I have most of the bridge plates/saddles and most of the control circuits I'll need. All set for PGs as well. :)

squierbilly and Best1989 like this.
  13. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier

Jun 18, 2012
    and hey - if any of you local guys might be available that day and want to pitch in w/ helping on these builds -- shoot me a PM!

squierbilly likes this.
  14. Jim Belaye

Jim Belaye Squier-holic

Jul 25, 2015
    Montréal, Canada
    Man! What a cool project, good luck with everything.

squierbilly and IronSchef like this.
  15. squierbilly

squierbilly Dr. Squier

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    Industrious and thoughtful little man you have there..
    Students like him is what it will take to make the future bright.. :)

IronSchef and Jim Belaye like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice