Guitarist who deserve more props

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by JurnyWannaBe, Jul 15, 2019.

1. mofojar

mofojar Squier-Nut

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    I never really hear people talk about Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth's guitar playing, but I think he's one of the really amazing guitar players of my generation.

At the very least he always has really nice tone.

VealCutlet likes this.
  2. mofojar

mofojar Squier-Nut

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    I linked the wrong video. I meant to link this one:

Ghost of Perdition is a pretty cool song though. I just thought the folks of Squier-Talk would dig the pretty instrumental from this post more.

VealCutlet likes this.
  3. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier Talker

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    I'm not sure who's missing out on props so much. I agree with many of the names here being great guitarists, but I'm not sure who's not getting their due when it comes to respect. Robben Ford? Mike Zito? Ronnie Earl? Then there are those long gone like Eddie Jones aka Guitar Slim. None are as famous as guys like Brian Setzer, Joe Bonamassa, Kenny Wayne Shepherd or even Derek Trucks.

I hesitate to mention Guthrie Govan because, while many may not know him outside of the Guitar and Progressive Rock communities, he does get tons of respect from those who know his music. The new Belew.

Mike Bloomfield gets my final vote. He may have never received the props he deserved for bridging the divide between Buddy Guy (the quintessential last man standing) and the aforementioned Blues/Rock players of today. Many of whom are great guitarists, song writers and entertainers, but fly under the radar of the general public and even many peers.

4. John Slinger

John Slinger Squier-Meister

Apr 26, 2019
    Greenville
    Very true. Mike Bloomfield was great and I rarely find anyone besides my Brothers who know Robben Ford and have his music.

VealCutlet and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  5. duzie

duzie Squier-Meister

Jul 8, 2017
    Nw New Jersey
  6. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-holic

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    From left field for sure, John Dietrich and Ed Rodriguez of Deerhoof. Their music seems, to me, impossible to play. There's no other drummer like Greg Saunier - he alternatively drives and pulls the rug out from under the band whenever he feels like it. These folks must have ESP to do what they do, given the complexity and insanity of their music.

7. stratfreak

stratfreak Squier-Meister

May 1, 2019
    Austin, TX
    I got to see Sonny at the Knitting Factory in NYC about 30something years ago! Was a killer show.

I used to catch Bill at the Rodeo Bar in NYC. Every time it was a total blast. I saw Redd in Austin at the Continental Club. So fun.

8. stratfreak

stratfreak Squier-Meister

May 1, 2019
    Austin, TX
    totally!!!!!!!!!

9. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier Talker

Jul 4, 2019
    Ohio, United States
    Not mentioned here, but I'm pretty sure he was never underrated at least by people in the bluegrass scene: Doc Watson.

John Slinger likes this.
  10. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    A few that come to mind...Lowell George and Paul Barrere from Little Feat, Tommy Bolen, Todd Rundgren, Mick Ronson.

John Slinger likes this.
  11. John Slinger

Apr 26, 2019
    Greenville
    Oh yea Doc. There are so many.
    I saw Bill Monroe at Billy Bobs in Ft. Worth, TX many years ago. Man that band could play !

12. John Slinger

Apr 26, 2019
    Greenville
    Love Little Feat. I never got to see Lowell live but have seen Paul and the band a few times. Always a fun show.

13. mofojar

mofojar Squier-Nut

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    I've been a fan and supporter of these two guys now for quite a few years.

They do covers of video game songs with a classical guitar and a steel string guitar.

14. John Slinger

Apr 26, 2019
    Greenville
    Andy Powell of Wishbone Ash. The band even deserves more props than it gets. Powell says his influences were Hank Marvin and Albert King.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice