Guitar projects during these times?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by pcampbell, Mar 18, 2020.

1. pcampbell

pcampbell Squier-Meister

Jan 15, 2015
    Memphis, Tennessee
    So what are ST folks doing as guitar projects during these uncertain times, with daily life upended?

Over the next week or two, I am supposed to have a new set of Hipshot locking tuners arriving and I plan to put them on my Gretsch pro jet. Other than that, I expect to:

1. Smooth a few fret ends on my Squier affinity tele and probably polish the frets;
    2. Clean the fretboard and polish the frets on the pro jet before re-stringing it;
    3. Clean the fretboard on my LPB strat, polish the frets, and re-string it (outside chance that I also order and install a Supervee bladerunner tremolo system on the strat);
    4. Maybe re-string another partscaster.

My list is baby steps compared to what some others on ST can do. This skilled and knowledgeable bunch must have more ambitious projects in store than mine. What are they?

2. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-Nut

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Yesterday, got the finishing touches of my mate's Aria done. This one's his backup guitar I've got playing as good as it can with only spare parts, because its budget was $0, given it's not really worth his investment with limited funds. Got it done so he can enjoy it and work on his projects during his quarantine.

IMG_20200317_134518.jpg

As I've delivered it, I've received from him the now professionally spray-painted body of his main guitar, the actual project we've been planning, that is getting fully reworked, and the most interesting part being with a fairly limited budget. We're turning a cheap Strat copy into something that plays really well, given the neck feels great and the body is of quite good quality, and incredibly lightweight.

It has been shielded and gotten the pickguard I had previously modified to fit and wired dropped in place, today. ;)

IMG_20200318_173641.jpg

Finally, something I still haven't been able to get started, I've had this Jackson to have the body all fixed up and prepped, and then hand-painted by my best friend. I'll then upgrade the electronics and upgrade the bridge, I hope.

WhatsApp Image 2020-03-02 at 1.02.16 PM.jpeg

Check the corresponding threads for more pics and details on the progress and what has been done to each one, as well as future plans for the latter one (the one that's actually mine, too... :D)

3. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    image.jpeg image.jpeg I have a semi hollow body strat waiting to get assembled. I'm trying to get a workshop built in my yard first.I love having the extra time.

4. pcampbell

pcampbell Squier-Meister

Jan 15, 2015
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Nice work!

5. pcampbell

pcampbell Squier-Meister

Jan 15, 2015
    Memphis, Tennessee
    I really like that pickguard with that strat body.

6. otisblove

otisblove Squier-Nut

Aug 19, 2016
    Chicago
    I just ordered a new pickguard. When it arrives, I’m going to turn my Telecaster into an Esquire.

7. DADGAD

DADGAD Squier-Meister

Nov 1, 2017
    California
    Picked up this black Les Paul Special DC a couple weeks ago. I rewired the controls with 50's wiring, cleaned it and restrung it. Next I need to order replacement tuners. Then comes a level and crown on the frets.

[​IMG]

I have an old amp chassis from a Conn organ that needs to be turned into a tweed Pro amp. Probably a 5D5. I just drew up the schematic for it yesterday.

Last night, I was tweaking a reissue Ampeg Super Jet amp for better tone.

Those are the short list items. I need to put my recording studio hat on and write some songs. If I run out of things to do, I have a bunch of Germanium transistors that need to be built into pedals.

8. Lonn

Lonn Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    No projects these days, just spending time playing the beauty in my avatar.

9. mduganjr

mduganjr Squier-Meister

Mar 21, 2017
    Covington, LA
    I bought a Candy Apple Jazz body to pair with my CV Jazz neck, but have gotten lazy and haven't tried soldering the pickups etc in yet. But I'm still at my office right now... if I get the order to work from home I may have some extra time for it.
    [​IMG]

10. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    I got a few things to work on while (mostly) home-bound:

• Strat/Tele/Thinline hybrid - finishing a raw Ash body for this one, so its gonna take a while
    [​IMG]
    • Jazzmaster - built during a frenzy of building activity, never actually finished a set-up even on this one. Its got some buzz right now, gotta start w/ truss rod and work my way forward on this one (may even need to shim)
    [​IMG]
    • 1929 Martin Mandolin - need to remove the tuners and completely de-gunk them. Been scared to take this thing apart, gonna (hopefully) work up my courage and get her up to snuff
    [​IMG]

Forum Guest, Montandy, Shine and 13 others like this.
  11. JurnyWannaBe

JurnyWannaBe Squier-holic

Feb 14, 2019
    A41A7506-B314-4FC6-B11B-C8C9FDB306CB.png I picked up a Telecaster on OfferUp. My plan is to strip it down and stain it cherry red. I have a red tort pickguard that I plan to put on it. Fingers crossed that it turns out as good as it looks in my mind.

12. MyToyBrain

MyToyBrain Squier Talker

Mar 17, 2020
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    That ash body is beautiful

13. B Stock

B Stock Squier-Meister

Feb 6, 2020
    left coast
    as a retire "elderly person" I only recently found out that I was elderly...? 71 I tend to stay home alot make making electronic noise using my computer, reading and just chillin' with a fillin'.
    Though I find these time more than regrettable for all of us, not to much has change for me other than the fact that I started self isolating because I thought that I had the the flu on the third of March, I'm still ill . I have learned that because I had cancer and treatments, I am very much at risk.
    As the great actor says to Dustin Hoffman "your like everybody else, life is risk." he also familiarizes Dustin's Character with the expression .
    "DOWN FOR THE DIRT NAP.
    Having taken the graduate graduate courses including the very entertaining class
    " MAKING FRIENDS WITH DEATH" the riskiness of my situation is I'm physically very uncomfortable and don't fight it , I sleep a lot... But I'm not worried , as if and when this ends,
    things get back to normal I'll still be in the eternal present , the now, as always

Life and Death, Lights on Lights off

giphy (1).gif

14. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I’m still working full time, but with everything else shutting down, we are still spending a lot more time at home. So if I have any extra time to play with my toys, I have projects galore!

First, I just finished this one last weekend. I will continue to tweak the setup in the days and weeks to come until it feels just right!

965FFE26-5F96-42E7-A4B6-8D11BE04F8E3.jpeg

Next I have this Standard that I bought. I need to get this one finished so I can flip it.

2FB87227-CF59-4495-91CD-1BE22CE2D53F.jpeg

And then I have my choice of any one of these to work on. Probably the pink one. My son has his eyes on that one. If it will encourage him to play, I better get it ready to play!

0C41C175-6F1B-4EE3-9198-CCA68964AE14.jpeg F34EF800-F2A0-432B-8256-BF888D3684C3.jpeg 4EDC5849-ED8C-480D-BB13-98108587230C.jpeg

15. Ricky3Fingerd

Ricky3Fingerd Squier-Nut

Nov 26, 2019
    Canda
    Thst hollow body is gunna look fycking fantastic.

16. mb doug

mb doug Squier-holic

Jan 4, 2012
    Long Island
    Picked this up last week off of a clearance closeout sale.Plays pretty nice after a setup but I want to change out the pots and switch, possibly the bridge too although the MIM Fender I have doesn't line up right. IMG_8036.JPG IMG_8045.JPG IMG_8046.JPG

17. Ricky3Fingerd

Ricky3Fingerd Squier-Nut

Nov 26, 2019
    Canda
    What's that deal with that red stain fender? Its super sexy lookin

18. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    2020-03-19 12.07.55.jpg
    Dug this out last night and got it together and sounding gr8 ;)

Lace gold's.

Floated the trem too ;)

19. howserx

howserx Squier-Meister

Apr 20, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    Not building anything but since I have a lot of gear that isn't selling, I'm redoing my pedal board and rig. I had to get rid most of my stuff on the main floor to make room for more monitors so I can work from home. So as of last night I have even more gear than expected to set up. Not a bad problem to have. The plan (so far) Pedal board out to the TSA15 into the vox 212. The Mel9 I got last week (or so) has the dry going through most of the pedals to the TSA 15. the Wet from it will go to the super champ into the EVH 112. I also have a digitech trio that will go to the rumble. This pic is from a few days ago so not all the pedals are there.

20. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Just a body I picked up in my travels. Don’t even know what brand it is. But it looks cool, so I’ll build something with it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice