Guitar players you didnt listen to then...But now

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by oneLOCOman, Jun 19, 2019.

1. oneLOCOman

oneLOCOman Squier-Nut

Oct 2, 2018
    Missouri
    I was never much of fan of Glenn Campbell back in the day. If it didn't rock hard didn't listen to it. When I got back into the guitar bigtime a while back I started watching YT vids on guitar players and watching how they played. Wow all I gotta say is I have a new admiration for this guy. I didn't even know he was a member of the wrecking crew to just awhile back. So any players you guys "rediscoverd"?

2. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Crappie fishing.
  3. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Glen's a good example. It took me until the '80s to realize that Johnny Winter wasn't just about his work with Rick Derringer. I don't think I'm alone either... that stuff might have sold some albums, but it confused folks about what he really was. He's come to be one of my favorite blues players.

4. snivlem

snivlem Squier-holic

Jan 25, 2018
    FL
    Knopfler. I was a kid who loved "I want my MTV" when it came out, but did not have the album. I went down the heavy metal road in middle school, and by high school it was all alternative and psychedelic classic rock....so I never really appreciated Dire Straits. Another good classic rock band, but nothing that really grabbed me at all. It wasn't until my 30's that I started appreciating some of their songs, and downloaded some albums (the only way I really appreciate music fully) and fell in love with his playing. He is a real virtuoso for our times. He's not my favorite, but I really enjoy and respect his playing, great stuff.

5. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Yeah, that was the band Johnny Winter And, there was a single live album that I recall..... that was my first exposure to Rick Derringer's playing, too.

6. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Now that you all mention it, when Glenn's show was on TV there were several awesome players on TV as well .... Roy Clark for sure but if you were a fan of Johnny Carson and the Tonight Show you were treated to the Doc Sevrinson Orchestra with Herb Ellis on guitar. I hope I didn't butcher Doc's name - trumpeter and band leader extraordinaire. One night they had The Allman Brothers Band live. Doc wrote an arrangement around one of their tunes, both bands played together.... I wish I could remember which tune but it's somewhere online I'm sure.

7. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    This is a really good thread topic!
    For me it’s David Gilmour.
    When I was growing up in late 70’s early 80’s, I liked Pink Floyd but always thought they were mostly synth generated sound. Loved the band but I was more focused on in your face guitarists like Jimmy Page and Carlos Santana....guys that were the centerpiece of the stage.
    But as I grew older and got into guitar playing later in my 40’s, my ears picked up great guitar work that blended in with the overall sound of the music. I started really getting into studio guitar and less into the stage grabbing show mastery that were the main identity of the bands I liked.

Re-enter Mr Gilmour.
    The amount of unique guitar overdubs on studio work is off the charts. The fluidity balanced with some extremely raw licks and phrasing just blows my mind. Especially on albums DSOTM, WYWH, Animals, and The Wall.
    There are parts that as a kid I thought were synth, but are actually guitar.
    His tone is so varied on those albums that it’s hard to pick a favorite song or solo.
    I listen to music differently than I did as a youngster.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  8. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-holic

This::):):):):):):)

There are times when I listen to this, like when I'm thinking of my late Father and of the guys that I served with who never made it back home, that I could weep and it's in no small part due to the mans skill with a Strat,...

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  9. pflug

pflug Squier-Meister

Oct 11, 2013
    Michigan
    I recently started listening to some Buckethead, figured it was all just gimmicks and noises but he can also really play

ElRey67 and Stratlover84 like this.
  10. Stratlover84

Stratlover84 Squier-Nut

Jun 16, 2016
    NY
  11. Flying Z

Flying Z Squier-Meister

Jun 1, 2019
    Mobile AL, USA
    I worked with some guys that opened my eyes to dire straits in the late 90's and how good the truly where, but Prince IMO never gets the credit he deserved. Best example i know of is him and his Tele at the rock n roll hall of fame.....feel free to jump to 3min

12. Thought you might get a kick outta this this … Vinyl singles of "Money for Nothing". The 12" North American release with the B side "Expresso Love" and the 10" European/UK version with "Love Over Gold" on the B side. The reverse side of the covers have the tour dates that correspond to the respective, North American and European shows. I don't think these where played more than once since I bought them new.

DSC07330.JPG DSC07331.JPG

Cheers, Barrie.

13. duzie

duzie Squier Talker

Jul 8, 2017
    Nw New Jersey
    Don’t laugh at me guys but I’ll throw out Johnny Ramone as someone I didn’t listen to way back in the past .
    I didn’t get it or like it .
    Why do I like it now , I couldn’t tell you other than its fun music to play :D

14. wildelectric

wildelectric Squier-Nut

Sep 23, 2016
    Western Illinois
    +1 for Mark Knopfler. His dynamics alone put him in a special class, which can be hard to appreciate at first because it sounds so effortless.

Another is Steve Jones. I gave Bollocks a relisten after having played a while and this made all the difference in appreciating his stuff.

His playing first showed me that it doesn't have to be like the guitar Olympics every time you play for what you're doing to sound good and make sense.

15. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    I've come to really appreciate Tommy Bolan! He was over looked by me over the years. He was awesome IMHO!

16. kjmac

kjmac Squier-Nut

Aug 14, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    While not a guitar player, Doc had one of the best drummers in the business by the name of Ed Shaunnesey. He was definitely on par with any of his contemporaries including Buddy Rich.

17. kjmac

kjmac Squier-Nut

Aug 14, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Up until about two years ago, I had never heard Tommy Emanuel. However, once I began watching his YouTube videos, he became one of my all time favorites. I saw him live a year or so ago and he is more incredible live than on studio recordings. He has got to be one of the best all time guitar players and IMHO he is equal to Chet Atkins when it comes to finger picking. There is also a video of Him on YT playing with Joe Satriani and he could really shred on an old beat up Telecaster.

18. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Yes indeed - you couldn't miss those big lamb chop sideburns! Ed Shaughnessy was the stuff - from the same school as Buddy Rich, too. Did you notice he kept his cymbals level like Buddy did? More resonance and tone. I think everybody in the Doc Severensen Orchestra was also a mainstay in the LA Studio scene, too.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    kjmac likes this.
  19. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Tommy Emmanuel is also a good drummer, too.

20. John Slinger

John Slinger Squier-Meister

Apr 26, 2019
    Greenville
    Yea Peter Green is amazing. Love that old Fleetwood Mac but can’t tolerate for a second the Stevie Nicks years although Lindsey Buckingham can also play.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice