Guitar Madness problem !

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by theflow, Sep 1, 2019.

1. theflow

theflow Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2017
    Palmetto,FL
    As many items I've bought from him and given very positive reviews ,even personal messages exclaiming my love for the 57 and 59 Humbucker's I'm pretty sure he know's I am not one who abuses those rights. If he would have communicated with me he'd have realized I was willing to pay return shipping but,simply ignoring my e-mails didn't result in that option. I haven't shipped it back yet so he hasn't had to refund my money at this point ,I was hoping to get to talk to him before Tuesday when the Post Office is open,to resolve the issue.

Thanks for weighing in.

The Flow

Kenneth Mountain and Davis Sharp like this.
  2. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

I speculate that QC issues with foreign suppliers can also make things strenuous, particularly when the order is being taken on this side of the ocean and fulfilled on the other. Looking at the first pic of those rails, you'd like to think if the GM guy was the one actually putting that pickup in the box that he wouldn't have. It suggests he probably isn't the one doing that.

Obviously places like GF can't physically check every neck pocket, bridge route and so on with every single order. You rely on your manufacturer to do things right and when they don't, you're stuck in the middle doing damage control.

Eddie and theflow like this.
  3. theflow

theflow Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2017
    Palmetto,FL
    I don't think that is true in this case, the pups come in a see thru baggie with his printed receipt wrapped around the pick up. So someone here in the US is packing it.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  4. eaglesgift

eaglesgift Squier-Nut

Apr 18, 2014
    Chiang Mai, Thailand
    A lot of excuses for a vendor with a bad attitude by the sound of it. Stuck in the middle if you rely on the manufacturer's QC? Sorry but I've never heard such rubbish. If you're happy to charge your customers a retail mark-up, you need to be doing something to justify that mark-up, not just posting unopened boxes from the manufacturer to your customers. If your mark up isn't large enough to enable you to do that, you don't know what you're doing.

Sorry if that sounds harsh but nobody forces people to sell stuff on eBay.

5. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Squier-Meister

Jul 13, 2018
    USA
    True.

But, I always shared and promote GM as a try and toss thing because it is affordable enough. Since they are a small seller, they certainly can't do a try and return gig. A little consideration makes the world a better place.

Of course, I also understand the OP's plight.

Kenneth Mountain and Caddy like this.
  6. theflow

theflow Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2017
    Palmetto,FL
    I too have always sang the praises of GM's pickups and products and I did take it into consideration that he is a small vendor,that is why I reached out before just plain old returning it ,but as I have stated several times in this thread I got no response .

7. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Squier-Meister

Jul 13, 2018
    USA
    Gotcha. I hope it will get resolved soon.

8. pfapin

pfapin Squier-Meister

Mar 6, 2018
    the ILL side
    Id like to be able to buy the pickups myself again and be unblocked... just find it hard to imagine why my questions couldnt be answered and why it was such a burden that he felt the need to block me.

Kenneth Mountain and drewcp like this.
  9. Grey Melbourne

Grey Melbourne Squier Talker

Jan 24, 2019
    Melbourne, Australia
    That sucks and I hope it gets resolved. I've been about to complain that Guitar Madness doesn't ship to Australia (I can't even see their stuff on eBay), but it looks like that might turn out to be a good thing.

Kenneth Mountain and theflow like this.
  10. gearobsessed

gearobsessed Squier-holic

Aug 21, 2013
    new zealand
    My guess is that he's loosing money on poor QC from his supplier, and he may feel like he's being taken advantage of by customers looking for the cheapest products, and not being happy when a cheap product arrives.
    I'm not saying this is the case here, and I too would be disappointed if that rail arrived to me in that condition, but he's probably been dealing with a lot of customers that have given him financial issues.
    I work in a place that sells Chinese imports, and to make a generalisation, the majority of the customers are looking for the best product for the cheapest price, and are disappointed when the cheapest product they find is not the highest quality product on the market.
    IME you often get what you pay for with Chinese imports. Not always, but lack of QC equates to hit and miss purchasing.

11. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

Since we're discussing the reputation of someone I don't know and haven't done business with, I left it to each individual reader to decide if the guy was or wasn't inspecting the product before shipping because I have no idea. Similarly you can decide for yourself whether or not he looked at that pickup and thought, "Good enough". You can also decide for yourself whether or not it is "good enough" for the price paid.

I can however comment on Guitar Fetish from personal experience and based on that experience, they definitely believe their prices give them considerable latitude on QC issues and service - depending on day of the week and which way the wind is blowing.

Regardless of GM's state of mind that day the reality is, bad gas travels fast in a small town. Between this thread and the inevitable crosstalk to TDPRI, if he wasn't already in trouble, he surely is now - regardless of the outcome.

12. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

I had an excellent experience with GM. During an Ebay sale, I repeatedly failed to include the necessary discount code word. and ordered the wrong pickups. I emailed him through Ebay, and he corrected the order, and actually sent me pickups that sold for more than I had paid. I didn't get any communication from him in the process, only a happy outcome. Maybe send him a link to this thread to show him that while most are happy with his products and service, he is doing harm to his reputation by not being properly responsive. If the pickup is substandard in appearance, which it clearly is, then that is enough to replace it. This business of banning a future purchase is over the top and will deter even a repeat customer like myself from future purchases.

13. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-holic

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    My experience has been like this. I emailed once to ask about combined shipping, he sent back a message saying "use this" and a link to the items I wanted to combine on. Another time I had ordered pickups that were "guaranteed" to be to me by a certain date. They weren't. My experiences were good to this point so I emailed him and asked what happens when an item doesn't arrive on the "guaranteed" date. He replied and said "I don't know, I've been trying to get off that guaranteed thing for a long time. I think they give you $5 credit towards another purchase". I had sent back that for me it was no big deal, and that I didn't want him taking any hit on his rating because of it, his response was "its all good, and $5 is $5, go and report it late and get your credit."

So....as I said before, we all have our bad days and hopefully that's all it is here. I've had nothing but positive interactions on my two emails to him and I've always been happy with the product.

Kenneth Mountain and Caddy like this.
  14. eaglesgift

eaglesgift Squier-Nut

Apr 18, 2014
    Chiang Mai, Thailand
    I dont think try and return is what theflow is doing here, but I don’t really like the try and return culture, tbh.

15. eaglesgift

eaglesgift Squier-Nut

Apr 18, 2014
    Chiang Mai, Thailand
    Yeah, I've never done business with them either (and I won't ever buy from GF because of their ridiculous international delivery fees but that's another matter). Also, I apologise if my post sounded impolite - I think I was having one of my daily mental breakdowns at the time :oops:. I do find that many people in the US seem to give vendors a lot more latitude than I'd be willing to though, and I don't understand why, especially one who's solution to customer complaints is to ignore them and block them...that's just bad business however you look at it, to me it is anyway. I think my age is colouring my opinion too - I lament the passing of the days when customer service was a principle of good business and not just a marketing buzz word with no real meaning or intent behind it.

16. Rat cam 68

Rat cam 68 Squier-Meister

Mar 12, 2018
    Mooresville,In
    I just bought a set of pickups off of GM on Reverb and was trouble free ,sorry to hear about your troubles and thanks for posting to warn others.

17. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

That brings up an interesting point about buying low priced imported products. In my business I have to buy transformers made to my specs. To get a good price, they are made in China. However I don't buy them directly from the Chinese manufacturer, but rather from a US dealer. I probably pay twice as much because of this, but the dealer has a good relationship with the manufacturer because of the amount of business he does with them, so he has some leverage as far as getting good quality parts, shipped on time, that I wouldn't have. Since I buy a couple thousand dollars worth of transformers at a time, I don't want to risk going to an overseas manufacturer myself, because if I found that a whole batch of transformers was made wrong, I may have trouble convincing the manufacturer to give me a refund and make another batch.

The events of this thread make me think that maybe Guitar Madness should charge enough so that he can cover his costs when he or a customer finds that parts are not made properly. I got a set of three Strat pickups from him for under $16 delivered! I wouldn't think twice about paying double or triple that if it were well known that his customer service was top notch and I could count on getting good parts.

18. GFS where very quick and also helpful, when one item was incorrectly shipped. "Keep the part you where sent by mistake, and your original part is being fast tracked for shipment."
    However as mentioned, shipping costs for me where I live? … I thought it would be arriving by limousine.
    Cheers, Barrie.

19. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

I was looking at a pair of Guitar Madness pickups made in the style of PAF type humbuckers. After reading this thread I checked Musiclily's eBay store (seller musiclilyus). They had an Alnico 5 pair listed as neck 7.2K 3.8H, bridge 8.0K 5.0H, but didn't specify the pole spacing. I emailed them yesterday and when I got up this morning I had a polite email thanking me for asking, and telling me that they modified the listing to add that the neck pickup has 50mm spacing and the bridge 52mm.

That seems like very good customer service so far. The price of $19.43 delivered is pretty amazing too. I ordered a pair. It will probably be a while before I put together the guitar they're going in, but when I do I'll report on the pickups.

This is the listing: Musiclily PAF type pickups on eBay

20. theflow

theflow Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2017
    Palmetto,FL
    The issue (imo) is everything has been great quality until now so,ya I expect it to be good,it has never been "hit and miss" with his products.
    I feel as much business as I have done with him that I deserved a reply not silence.

I have decided to keep it since he seems to be in trouble ,unfortunately he will never get a dime from me again, not because I'm upset but, because he blocked me ! Good business plan !:rolleyes:

Kenneth Mountain, Viking and drewcp like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice