Guitar lesson question

Discussion in 'Music, Theory, Tab and Such' started by Stevearino, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Stevearino

Stevearino Squier Talker

May 16, 2016
    Ontario
    Well I have decided to get moving on guitar lessons as I've had my HH strat staring at me for a year. Would I better served doing half hour lessons or one hour? Curious about other people's experiences!

2. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-Meister

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I'm doing an online course with Active Melody, it is excelent value for money, 68dollars a year i think is how the money translates..anyway, new lesson each week. Full courses from beginner to whatever..video lessons with tab/walkthroughs and soundslice..once a month there is a lesson challenge which we record and upload to the forum ...very supportive bunch of all ages from all over the world..

dbrian66, skypeace and jamndad like this.
  3. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Been many years since I did any teaching, and more yet from when I took lessons. But still your question brings some thoughts to mind.

A half hour of actual lesson allows for the coverage of plenty of material. But -- and in my experience this is no small thing -- inherent in every "lesson" is a certain amount of non-lesson time. Getting settled. Greetings and salutations. talking about musical experience and tastes. And note that such is not a waste of time. It is part of the development of a relationship between a teacher and a student. Something that builds trust and confidence as well as allowing the lessons themselves to be non-formulaic -- to meet the specific needs and desire of the student.

This means that which is a better lesson length will depend upon how the teacher views the use of his or her time.

When I taught the designated "half hour" was the actual lesson time. But I taught in people's homes and my visit was quite often considerably longer. The total time allowed all the "extras" mentioned above and also, in some cases, with non-adult students, a bit of time conversing with the parent(s) of the student.

Some lessons are far more formal and quite tightly scheduled. Especially those at a place like a music store where the lesson space itself is carefully scheduled -- one student following another.

One quality of a good teacher is approachability. Thus discussing the above with a prospective teacher should not be an issue.

-don

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    Merv_j, Davis Sharp and Brever like this.
  4. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    I think 30 minutes is enough. But more important is daily practice.

5. jamndad

jamndad Squier-holic

Nov 23, 2013
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    Hey, 5ofeight, what are the bare essentials required to record and upload to that program you're using?

five teles and 5ofeight like this.
  6. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-Meister

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Er, nothing fancy my friend. I downloaded REAPER http://www.reaper.fm/download.php which is free to use as long as you "still evaluating" on the buy now button. I link my guitar to my PC with the cable from the PS4 rocksmith game, record in reaper and upload to soundcloud..
    I've not been playing for long( well to be honest this is my 3rd attempt at learning since I was a teen about 40 odd years ago) but this is where using Active Melody has got me to date..
    https://soundcloud.com/billy-897485295/lisa
    Hope it dont bust your ears...

7. jamndad

jamndad Squier-holic

Nov 23, 2013
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    Thanks! I'll check it out. I may check out your lesson site, as well. I think we came across each other on the Squier Slingers Facebook page the other day.

5ofeight likes this.
  8. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-Meister

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Yes, I'm sure we did.... small world eh..

Cavediver and jamndad like this.
  9. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-Meister

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Just wondering how you got on with reaper and recording your own tracks..
    This is one I did about a month or so back https://soundcloud.com/billy-897485295/ep004ep005

skypeace and jamndad like this.
  10. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    1/2 hour is fine unless you trying to buy a friend :)

The commitment to work on your own and a real desire is the most important.

I believe one on one lessons are important at the beginning. I am mostly self taught but had a good base in professional beginner lessons to work from. Was also ten years old though.

Nets lessons can be good and certainly cheaper but I think you will learn faster with a good personal instructor.

Merv_j likes this.
  11. Merv_j

Merv_j Squier-Meister

Aug 6, 2017
    Lincoln uk
    My lessons were always booked as an hour but often were closer to two after banter and brews were enjoyed. I think the benefit of one on one sessions for me were immense compared to tech based sessions. Things can be explained differently and seen from different angles. Doesn't sound much, but I know I wouldn't be playing without a real mentor to guide me. And a half hour session wouldn't be enough for me... but that's me. Not you. Hope this helped

skypeace likes this.
  12. jamndad

jamndad Squier-holic

Nov 23, 2013
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    Honestly, I haven't moved on this, at all. I hope to, soon.

5ofeight likes this.