Grrrr...

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by Dropoutjohn, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Dropoutjohn

Dropoutjohn Squier Talker

Jul 15, 2017
    Hawaii
    This screw on the high e saddle backs out every time I play.

What should I do?

The elastic band keeps the saddles from rattling... :(
    20171206_092822~2.jpg

Kenneth Mountain and so1om like this.
  2. wes0121

wes0121 Squier-Meister

Sep 19, 2016
    USA
    yea locktite or superglue

3. ghostwolf

ghostwolf Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 30, 2009
    texas
    Admin Post
    Or clear nail polish.

4. so1om

so1om Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    blue Loctite, Elmer's glue, clear nail polish.. all those work.

One thing I have noticed in considering, we'll snap shot it: those parts from the 70s to parts made yesterday. I think they loosened up the tolerance on the screw threads, allow for plating, less parts out of spec etc, that the screws are looser in the saddles. you may try new, higher quality set screws fromt eh hardware store. You'll know right away if they feel more snug.

Regardless, use glue or whatever to take up all that slop. Heck, even plumber's putty may work. (as in... hey.. what do you have around the house this afternoon?)

5. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    Shoot, I would replace all those screws so none of em stick up at all. I like using the different size ones so when you palm mute, you don’t feel the screws, just the flat smooth saddles.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  6. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    plumber's thread seal tape should work and you can hit your shower head while you're at it

7. DADGAD

DADGAD Squier Talker

Nov 1, 2017
    California
    I vote blue Loctite or Elmer's white glue. Had a bad experience with super glue and another with clear fingernail polish on bridge hardware.

Good luck!

8. Dropoutjohn

Dropoutjohn Squier Talker

Jul 15, 2017
    Hawaii
    Thanks!

I actually did put elmers glue in there a while back... I think I till try the plumbers tape this time.

9. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Dr. Squier

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    There's the tip of the Day - damn shower head starts to come off every time I change the pattern ! ! Keep them coming Scuba Steve ! ! !

surf green likes this.
  10. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

I'd suggest replacing the saddles with ones you can inspect before buying to confirm the screws fit snugly. Most of you guys are more experienced than me in terms of repairs, but I would not want to use Loktite or anything on the saddle threads on my guitar. It may be imperceptible, but logic tells me that less string vibration will pass to the bridge plate if there is an insulating layer of any kind of goo on the saddle screws. If you're only doing the one offender, then no biggie, but I wouldn't do it on all of them.

But then I've been known to be obsessive over details like this before, so feel free to totally discount this observation....lol!

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  11. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Dr. Squier

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    I like where @Michael7 heads at - the only thing I would consider is the nail polish because in my mind it is lacquer and would not hinder vibration when it's dry. Only on the one setscrew in question - until you replace the saddles with better tolerances. Nothing wrong obsessive behavior - especially when QC is involved !

12. squierTony

squierTony Squier-holic

Jul 4, 2012
    seminole Oklahoma
    Weld it.......

Just kidding. Locktite or nail polish.

13. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Five Points, AL
    Any of the above (except welding) will work to solve your issue. A drop of rubber cement will also slow the backout without permanent change to the metal.
    Those suggestions are quick and easy as well as cheap. The permanent solution would be to replace the saddle(s). Bent steel or block are not that expensive. The re-set up and intonation is the biggest drawback. Good luck.

wes0121 likes this.