Greetings from Rhode Island, USA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Count Bassie, May 15, 2018.

1. Count Bassie

Count Bassie New Member

Apr 30, 2018
    Smithfield RI
    Hi folks, I've been playing since 1979, and a friend of mine recently put a Squier parts bass together for me. I've been living lean these days, lost a couple nice instruments over the years and haven't been able to find anything quite as cool since...
    Anyway my friend fixes, finishes, modifies instruments and came up with this for me-

20180515_132143.jpg 20180515_132302.jpg

To me the Jaguar shape is almost decidedly un-Fendery! For a bass anyway... and I kind of like it. It's a Squier II neck (Samick factory, Korea), which feels great! And the Vint/Modified Agathis body has a sharp, snappy finish.
    This one's not active, but has a set of Alnico V p/js in it. I don't think I'll go active, which feature this body is originally built around, tho it was an option when I was told about it. Still can be, but I like the "less is more" thing, so far, for this one.

End o' story, it's a very sweet player. The neck is substantial but easy, the balance is almost invisible. As nice a player, and as killer sounding as any Fender I've played in recent years. And the black and Maple thing looks class. I'm very pleased with my Squier.

Thanks for reading, nice to be here.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    jersey11, Acidhouse, Shine and 14 others like this.
  2. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Dr. Squier

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Welcome to Squier Talk ! I like that BASS ! ! !

dbrian66 likes this.
  3. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Welcome to Squier-Talk. That's a good looking bass.

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  4. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    Hello and Welcome! Nice bass!

5. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Welcome. We love Squiers.

6. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    welcome aboard Smithfield

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  7. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    That’s a sharp looking instrument! Enjoy it!

Welcome to the forum

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  8. Acidhouse

Acidhouse Squier-holic

Sep 16, 2010
    Birmingham . . . Alabama
  9. Jim Belaye

Jim Belaye Squier-holic

Jul 25, 2015
    Montréal, Canada
    Hello and welcome to ST! :)

10. squierbilly

squierbilly Squier-holic

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    You are a man of wealth and taste,, your friends make you wealthy,, and that bass is very tasteful..
    Thanks for the pictures and welcome to Squier Talk..

11. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    hey

So is this a VM Jaguar Modified Bass Special with the boost circuit removed? Or the short scale SS? I can't make out the headstock decals.

I have regularly gigged with Squier basses since 1989 starting with a Jazz bass. The only kind I don't have is a P bass as I have always preferred 2 pickups.

I got a VM Jaguar Modified Bass Special a few years ago and keep in mind that wasn't truly an active circuit to cut and add frequencies, but merely boosted the lower end range of frequencies. A very nice feature to bring up the presence without hammering on the volume level. I still used the old 1989 from time to time, but lately I've been playing the Dimension which has active EQ.

As you get up to speed on all these, the Squier offering of the Dimension compared to the Fender counterpart really capture all the great things about the Fender model without going overboard into the unnecessary features.

Welcome. That's a solid bass you have and yes, a bit un-Fendery with the general shape compared to P and J basses, but right at home with the Fender offsets. It's really the Dimension that's the odd bird!

Welcome!

(and to think that to most new members I just say "hey".)

12. Welcome. You've landed on planet Squier. Feel free to wander about and enjoy the many offerings here.
    Cheers, Barrie.

willhowl likes this.
  13. nitro

nitro Squier-holic

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
  14. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Five Points, AL
    Hi and a hearty welcome. Nice bass.

I have it's cousin, the VM Jaguar Special SS. I figured starting bass again after 40+ years, I'd prefer the short scale. I do enjoy it and when feeling less than 100%, it's still my go to bass. Along the way I snagged a P-Bass Affinity P/J. Talk about coming home. It just felt right in long (standard) scale. A roundabout way of saying I want a standard scale like yours, but in translucent red / rosewood.

Enjoy yourself & have fun.

15. willhowl

willhowl Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2011
    Houston Texas
    Welcome, Nice Bass,nice friend........wait a minute, are you a Fisherman?......Bragging about how many Bass you catch, so many you can't Count them?.........

Oh.....Oh....NOW I get it.......Cool Handle, Count Bassie.....Sigh.....Everybody here knows I'm quite insane, don't be afraid..........It's a Fun Place to be............See Ya"................willhowl:eek::eek:

16. Clarky75

Clarky75 Squier-Meister

Dec 4, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    Nice guitar and welcome to ST, I can sympathise with the loss of guitars, I owned some beautiful USA fenders and gibson's many years ago, a few I regretfully sold and some others stolen, the main thing is just to enjoy what you have and enjoy playing :)