Got a 1983 Ibanez Roadstar II RS100BS for $30!!!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by pfapin, Sep 12, 2018.

1. pfapin

pfapin Squier Talker

Mar 6, 2018
    St Louis
    Im super excited to have found this on STL facebook marketplace for $30!!! The neck is super comfortable to play and its a very well made guitar. Only thing is its a little worn with some paint coming off, knicks and scratches, missing strap knob, missing neck screw but neck is still stable, and 2 of the neck screws are completely stripped out in a nice circular bored/hollowed out kind of way, it looks like it was dropped on the volume and tone knobs because it is cracked around both of the pots on the pickguard and sunk in a little, and the mini toggle/phase switch is bent. Other than that it is a true pleasure to play and worth every bit of $30!!! I found one just like mine that sold for $500 in near perfect condition on Reverb, what do you guys think this one is worth in its current condition?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  2. squierbilly

squierbilly Squier-holic

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    Worth a whole lot more than you paid...:D
    Cool guitar.. I don't think I seen one quit like that with the hard tail and that style gaurd with output.. (What's the toggle for)..
    As far as the striped neck screws you might try a dremel with a cutting blade.. Cut a slot and use the largest straight slot screw driver you can fit in it..
    Match up neck screws at a hardware store..

mb doug and Robb like this.
  3. pfapin

pfapin Squier Talker

Mar 6, 2018
    St Louis
    The toggle is a phase switch... I find it useless and leave it off. I forgot I had these drill bit/extractor things called speed outs. I was successful in removing the 2 stripped out neck screws, now all I need is to find 3 neck screws that are the same size. Can I easily find these at a hardware store like ACE?

Robb, dbrian66 and squierbilly like this.
  4. squierbilly

squierbilly Squier-holic

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    Yea,, I'd start there.. Useless phase?.. Sure its hooked up right.. Should be a noticeable difference in tone..

Robb and dbrian66 like this.
  5. pfapin

pfapin Squier Talker

Mar 6, 2018
    St Louis
    Its hooked up right and there is a noticeable difference in tone, I just dont like the sound out of phase so I leave it off.

dbrian66 likes this.
  6. optofonik

optofonik Squier-Meister

May 18, 2016
    Los Angeles
    The Roadstar II series is awesome. I sort of but not so much regret giving my Roadstar II bass to a family friend (brother from another mother). I still get to play it so I kinda have the best of both worlds. The neck is the very definition of a "baseball bat" neck but it still feels great to play even though the necks of my personal basses are the antithesis of baseball bats. The fit and finish on the Roadstar IIs are way solid, tourable even.

You scored, dude, in a big big way.

mb doug and dbrian66 like this.
  7. pfapin

pfapin Squier Talker

Mar 6, 2018
    St Louis
    I figured I did, I really am just interested in its overall value for shits and grins... I plan on keeping this and playing it when the mood strikes me to play a strat. One minor complaint is that the pickups dont handle high gain without squealing, I would imagine that I would have to re pot them all, and I might get all the stuff to do that job but I might also end up putting a hot rails in the bridge position because I am a high gain player and like the sound of a humbucker in the bridge when I play most of the time.

dbrian66 likes this.
  8. Mister Noonan

Mister Noonan Squier-Meister

Jun 28, 2018
    present
    I have drilled out a screw head and then removed with a set of pliers after getting the body off once the others were free. One way but probably not the only way.

They call me "the stripper" hehe.

dbrian66 likes this.
  9. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Why don't you buy 4 of the same ? Get stainless.

daan likes this.
  10. Lonn

Lonn Administrator Staff Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Admin Post
    Score!

Robb likes this.
  11. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-Meister

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    What a deal! I like the look of it. Bet it plays nice

12. Matt Shevell

Matt Shevell Squier-Meister

Feb 5, 2018
    New York
    Wow! Greatest deal ever!
    Congrats.

13. Robb

Robb Squier-holic

Jan 13, 2011
    Chertsey Canada.
    Fine deal. Congrats

14. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Nut

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    Nice find.

How many strings was it missing? I've never seen a Facebook marketplace guitar that had all of its strings.

15. pfapin

pfapin Squier Talker

Mar 6, 2018
    St Louis
    Surprisingly it had all of its strings.

16. pfapin

pfapin Squier Talker

Mar 6, 2018
    St Louis
    I think I will, thanks for the suggestion.

17. pfapin

pfapin Squier Talker

Mar 6, 2018
    St Louis
    One of the best feeling necks I have ever played, and man... the weight on this one is super light. Very comfortable guitar to play on.

Bluzy likes this.
  18. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    I second the idea about using Stainless screws on the neck. I have gotten lots of replacement screws at my local hardware store, just bring the old one to match up if you need to... the only trouble I ran into was they may not have the same style heads, depending on how big a selection the store carries. I put flat headed screws on one of mine, and it worked just fine.
    Oh, and this site most likely has replacement pickguards, if you need one
    http://pickguards.us/priceibanez.html

19. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    Haha, “I’m prepared to offer you DOUBLE YOUR MONEY for that axe...” Great score on that one!

20. wickedtools

wickedtools Squier-holic

May 16, 2010
    west texas