Good cheap 60s sounding strat pickups

Discussion in 'Pickup Joint' started by squierTony, Mar 31, 2019.

1. tadnugent

tadnugent Squier Talker

Mar 26, 2019
    El Paso
    Like many have said, the GuitarMadness 62’s are really good sounding. They really work well with my gear (usually play my Roland MicroCube or a Fender Mustang 2, if not a Vox Lil’ Nightrain). I have a Rio Grande Stelly in the bridge position and in the 4th position (middle/bridge) they get a really nice twang.

Kenneth Mountain and squierTony like this.
  2. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Well I got them put in tonight and played it just enough to make sure everything worked and it's good. I'll give it a good run though Sunday when i finally get a day off.

3. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    A big thanks to @Big tuna for the other electronics. Hes got a box coming as soon as I get a day off to ship it. 20190405_202600.jpg

4. TeleJason

TeleJason Squier Talker

Feb 8, 2019
    Philly
    Very interesting thread to me. As far as the Guitar Madness pick ups, are they better than GFS brand, do you think? He obviously doesn't wind them himself so they have to be rebranded something. Very curious, indeed. I don't knock him/her for it, just inquiring minds want to know. Can't beat the price!

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  5. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

I think GM pickups are mostly Korean made Artecs, as are some GFS ones. I think GFS has some wound specifically to their specs, don't know if GM is big enough to do that.

TeleJason and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  6. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    Yeah, I've heard in the past that Artec makes most for both. Nothing wrong with that, they have a lot of good stuff and make pups for just about everyone out there. Those Bootstrap pups definitely have my interest! Seems like something in the same vein as Rose or Benson etc. Also very reasonably priced for boutique quality!! Good luck.

7. TeleJason

TeleJason Squier Talker

Feb 8, 2019
    Philly
    Okay, I'm sold. Looks like I'll be ordering one of them.
    Like I've always said:
    I ain't easy...but I can be had.

8. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-Nut

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    You could maybe ask Ken Rose at Rose pickups?

9. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Here they are in my SE...

10. TeleJason

TeleJason Squier Talker

Feb 8, 2019
    Philly
    Sounds really good. Thanks for sharing.

11. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

My next set of GM Strat pickups is this one. A "S-90" set, which is apparently the ceramic magnet version, since the price mentioned by the YT poster is $25. These aren't really a P-90 type pickup, since the wire winding configuration can't duplicate a real P-90. They really look more like MIM double bar pickups, but have something extra going on in the growl department. There is also an alnico set for $31.

Dave M, squierbilly and squierTony like this.
  12. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Those dont sound too much like a p90 to me...

Michael7 likes this.
  13. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

I agree, the only way to get that traditional P-90 sound is either the soap bar or dog ear rectangular pickup with big flat wind. But some pickups, like the Rose Freedom T-90s and the GM ones add some fullness and hair to what is otherwise the single coil bell chime. I like it, even if not just the same as the real deal.

14. Dave M

Dave M Squier-Nut

Feb 27, 2017
    Mira Loma, CA
    I agree...i have the S-90's alnico...they sound great, more growl... at first install very noisy !!!! had to use conducting shielding paint and more grounding to quiet it down , but i got there...:)
    Just don't adjust the pole pieces..:(.

15. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

Thanks Dave M! Why not adjust the pole pieces? Too much output or too much noise?

Would you say the alnicos have more growl than those in the clip above? Thanks.

16. Antigua

Antigua Squier-Meister

Feb 13, 2018
    united states
    P-90's have an exceptionally high inductance. I don't hear it in those pickups. A typical Strat pickup has about 2.4H, a Texas Special has 3.0H, a P-90 climbs all the way up to 7 henries, which is why they have a fat, dark tone. Usually when a Strat pickup is wound that hot, like a Seymour Duncan SSL-2 or SSL-5, it's actually pretty close to a P-90, but few people think of it as a great clean pickup, probably because they don't match up with expectations.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  17. Antigua

Antigua Squier-Meister

Feb 13, 2018
    united states
    squierTony likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice