Good cheap 60s sounding strat pickups

Discussion in 'Pickup Joint' started by squierTony, Mar 31, 2019.

1. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Going against all I've ever said about strat pickups I'm going to try a set of vintage voiced pickups I think. I don't want to go all the way back to the 50s but I think the slightly hotter 60s style might be what I'm looking for. Think Jimi Hendrix, Pearl Jam, and SRV . I think my problem was I was trying to get the hotter pickups to get the amp into overdrive tones but I have pedals for that.
    Anyway I dont want to spend too much on a set to scratch my itch and I'm pretty sure you guys could come up with a cheap solution . I've been searching the bay and reverb but there are so many pickups to choose from I'm really almost overwhelmed. Ive looked at the Guitarmadness sets and the 62z might fit the bill but I have no experience with them. I've also looked at the bootstrap pickups which look like a smoking deal for the money. https://bootstrappickups.com/
    Let's say since the bootstraps are 50 bucks that that's max money to spend.

2. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-Nut

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    Guitarmadness are OUTSTANDING pickups. I haven't tried the 62z but I'd be stunned if they were anything less than great.

3. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    I have a set of those '62'z in a Strat and they really do sound good, and hard to beat the price.

Pat V., Kenneth Mountain and Ace38 like this.
  4. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    25 bucks is hard to beat...

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  5. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-Nut

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    And you'd have them Wednesday. That guy ships FAST.

Kenneth Mountain and Caddy like this.
  6. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    In my cart right now lol. $24.70 to my door.

I got some good pots,wires,
    and caps coming so that should make em sound even better.

I'll wait a bit before I totally commit.

Kenneth Mountain and Ace38 like this.
  7. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    They'll be going in this.. 15540743509976231236806406334592.jpg

corn, squierbilly, VealCutlet and 7 others like this.
  8. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

I'm going to try a set of Bootstraps in a tele ! The next strat set I get are the A2's from GM.

five teles and surf green like this.
  9. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    I'm thinking I'll do that too but I'll have to find another Te
    le lol.... darnit...

I've been watching for an Affinity but one of those Firefly Teles are very tempting.

10. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

my buddy Rich has a JT bound tele I'm trying to get from him - last thing I need is another guitar ! lol

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    five teles likes this.
  11. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Those are nice too. I'd snag one up but you never see them pop up around here. The custom is really nice.

five teles and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  12. snivlem

snivlem Squier-holic

Jan 25, 2018
    FL
    I'll vouch for the 62z, they are my go to cheap strat pups. They really sound great.

Pat V. and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  13. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Just hit the order button.. I was hoping someone here would confirm that they were good pickups.

Kenneth Mountain and snivlem like this.
  14. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I've bought three sets of the GM 62z, and they are amazingly great sounding for the price. As his marketing says, they use plastic bobbins and Teflon coated hookup wire, but those don't affect sound quality, but they obviously DO use good quality magnet wire and alnico magnets, which do affect the sound, 'cause they sound as good as many more expensive pickups.

15. archetype

archetype Squier-Nut

Oct 24, 2017
    Williamsville, NY USA
    Depends on what "60s" sound means to the OP. The OP's term "hotter" means, in effect, a higher inductance leading to less treble. There were plenty of 60s Strat pickups wound that way. Although the GM 60z are good sounding pickups, they aren't wound that way and shouldn't be expected to sound that way.

16. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Think Jimi, SRV, Pearl Jam and John Mayer. I think I put that in the original post.

17. archetype

archetype Squier-Nut

Oct 24, 2017
    Williamsville, NY USA
    You did, but "hot" pickups weren't involved with much, if any, of that. Jimi played with whatever pickpups were in whatever Strat he had. They were likely lower wind gray bottoms. He got tone with Marshalls, pedals, and his hands. SRV was mostly hands, amp, and volume. John Mayer's signature guitar has low wind pickups that are made for his preference of clean with a midrange scoop. He gets anything fatter with amps and pedals. Pearl Jam... who knows what pickups were involved, given the distortion he used?

If I were me, I wouldn't focus on trying to recreate a tone. With a good amp and playing technique, you'll get where you want to go with just about any Strat pickups. IMO it's a lot, lot, lot more about technique than pickups. If you've ordered GM 62z, then you can make your hands do what you want to hear with those pickups.

18. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Maybe this will help.

19. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    All those players you mentioned used low output 60's style vintage pickups, which are not hotter than standard Strat pickups. As far as actual vintage Fender pickups, the earliest 50's pickups were a bit higher output than the 60's pickups. But, they used different magnet wire (formvar vs. enamel) , and the VERY earliest 50's pickups used Alnico III magnets instead of Alnico V, although I think that the switch to Alnico V came by '57. The GM 62z are VERY close to 60's voiced pickups from Fender, SD, and others. If you want something a bit hotter, you could try GM's Premium Alnico IIs, Fender's Tex Mex, or Texas Specials, or other hotter Strat pickups from SD or Dimarzio, but those are all gonna be a lot more pricey, except the GM Premiums.

20. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Mostly lots the Strat into a Marshall amp...

Antigua and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice