Gonna cobain-esque my vm jag

Discussion in 'Squier Vintage Modified models' started by Smokijo, May 18, 2017.

1. Smokijo

Smokijo Squier Talker

Jan 11, 2017
    GB
    So I love my vm jag, really do, aside from one thing.

The Duncan Designed pickups are not my cup of tea. They're fine for what they are but they don't give me the sound I expected when I got it. Guess it's because I wanted the Nirvana sound which came from a heavily nodded guitar.

That being said I love the way it plays, the fact that it has so much more personality than any other guitar I've owned. It's the little eccentricities of it that make it my most played guitar.

Because of that my eye has been wandering to the fender cobain jag replica, but 3 things put me off. One is the price tag. I'm not good enough to warrant a £1300 guitar. Another is the crappy 3 way switch in place of the 3 pickup control switches. The third is that owning a signature guitar just kind of goes against the grain of what I like in guitars. As such my Misson to create my own flavour of the kurt cobain jag has begun. I'm calling it the 'Bastard Kurt'.

Step 1 is complete, I have purchased a couple of dimarzio humbuckers to drop into this bad boy. I'm happy with the bridge and trem set up so nothing doing there. I'm thinking about replace the dials for volume and tone with the chrome ones from a 60s tele, and I'm going to cut the original pickguard and use black mounting rings as I love that look.

Anyone know of I have to replace the pots at this stage?

1495142923469.jpg

bh1812 and BorderRadio like this.
  2. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    sounds like you are giving this guitar the "attitude adjustment" needed to fit your style!!

I can almost hear "Territorial Pissings" emanating from Bastard Kurt right now! :D

Smokijo likes this.
  3. Smokijo

Smokijo Squier Talker

Jan 11, 2017
    GB
    Yeah it's going to really piss my wife off when I get this on. It's strange how it's only my 9 month old who likes my playing