Going to start my pedal board soon

Discussion in 'The Buzz Box' started by guitar guy, Oct 1, 2017.

1. guitar guy

guitar guy Squier-holic

Nov 3, 2010
    Tampa Bay Area
    I have an old Pelican case for a laptop that my dad bought me when I sent to Iraq...My dog has since rendered it useless for laptop transport as he removed and subsequently destroyed the inner lining and foam inserts. Sense I did not need to transport my laptop in such a sturdy manner I have neglected to buy new innards for it and its just been kicking it around the house. Currently it is residing in my bathroom for some odd unknown reason. I guess it likes it in there. In any case, I have some cedar slats and oak dowels that I am going to slice up and mount into a two tier pedal board inside the pelican case. I just ordered a Caline Isolated power supply from eBay China, a Morely Bad Horsie 2 wah used from guitar center, and I bought the sonic stomp from rolloman. I have a selection of other pedals to choose from, but the two that WILL make it are the BBE AM-64 and the Digitech Hot Rod distortion. I have plans for delay and a phaser...maybe a vibrato/tremolo or chorus if I have room. Also if space does not permit for the BBE-AM64 I may purchase a Joyo Sweet Baby OD or a viable Tone city offering. I also have plans to install a tuner and looper in the hood of the case at a later date...and I may hide something else in there as well... muahahahahahaha!

2. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Interesting project. I've wondered about re-purposing other cases for pedal boards, but got stuck on (1) the depth and (2) the attached cover. Sounds like you're going to work around #1 with the slats. Does the cover come off or will it fall on your foot every time you stomp?:)

Kenneth Mountain and guitar guy like this.
  3. guitar guy

guitar guy Squier-holic

Nov 3, 2010
    Tampa Bay Area
    I'm planning on modifying the hinge to lean back more and rubber feet to prevent the bottom from rocking. If it persists to be a problem, I could also engineer a hydraulic lift into it, like the one's on newer car hoods, to make it stay open, lol. admittedly, this is problem I didn't even think about, probably because the hinge is already pretty stiff on its own.

Kenneth Mountain and Davis Sharp like this.
  4. guitar guy

guitar guy Squier-holic

Nov 3, 2010
    Tampa Bay Area
    Just trying to organize my thoughts here. I've ordered a bunch of stuff for this and other projects in the last few days and I've started pulling together materials and planning the pedal board construction and layout. What I have decided to do is build a 'do anything' pedal board, and thought it won't really be capable of everything, it will be able to work..but not necessarily excel, in any style that I am likely to play. Its focus will be on classic rock, alt rock, blues, and hard rock.

I have just ordered a Digitech Grunge, Rolloman has sent the Sonic Stomp, and my Moreley Wah should be here tomorrow. got a bunch of little odds and ends ordered as well and I need to go to Lowes and pickup up some of the final items. Unfortunately I did not realize that my Power supply is coming direct from China...So that will take a while to get here...

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  5. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    A bit of warning on the power supply. I too purchased a Caline 5 power supply. While it claims to have isolated power, it does not. I ended up buying a used Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 Plus.
    The price on the Caline was too good to be true.

6. guitar guy

guitar guy Squier-holic

Nov 3, 2010
    Tampa Bay Area
    If it powers the board I'm koolaid. I can upgrade it later if I have issues. I have a onespot, but it is not large enough for this board as there will be 8 pedals plus the Wah. I'm still deciding how I am going to power the wah, if I am going to do it separate from the board, I may supply power to it directly from the Caline via a dc input on the side of the pedal board.

ElRey67 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  7. guitar guy

guitar guy Squier-holic

Nov 3, 2010
    Tampa Bay Area
    Bad horsie wah is here!!! Need to try it out soon!