Gibson's Big "Ouch!"

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by duceditor, Feb 11, 2018.

1. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Ouch!!!!

Rollmeaway and theflow like this.
  2. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Squier-Meister

Jan 2, 2018
    KcMo
    Thank you Eddie ! You bring peace to a troubled heart on a week of stock market volatility :p

3. Photobug57

Photobug57 Squier-Meister

Jan 11, 2018
    Hebron, KY
    I agree -don. Value is somewhat a subjective term. I might say the LPC at $4700 is a value because I'm willing to spend twice that amount to get one.

In the other hand, Joe, my brother, would not buy one unless it was under $1000.

But this is why people gravitate toward a guitar that only costs $200-$300 and feel that they got a good deal-they see value in the price of that Epiphone.

Having had both Gibson and Epiphone, I kept the Epiphone in the end because to me it played just as good as or fulfilled my needs just a well as the Gibson did.

Regardless of the robot tuner debacle, Gibson Brands diversified into too many different technologies. Can you imagine what Gibson could have accomplished in its core, the guitar division, if they would have invested the amount of money there that they invested in the divisions that are dragging the company under?

I'm just sayin.........IMHO.

so1om, VealCutlet, Eddie and 2 others like this.
  4. mkt3000

mkt3000 Squier-holic

Jan 23, 2012
    Miami
    Maybe not the best example - their sales are on a downward slope.

Maybe Apple, who lost its way and came back in the mid 2000's on the strength of the ipod?

Eddie and Rollmeaway like this.
  5. mkt3000

mkt3000 Squier-holic

Jan 23, 2012
    Miami
    I planned on driving up to Disney next weekend... then medical bills arrived. I think I'll go out for beers instead.

6. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    It may sound trite, but the memories alone for the family will be worth every penny.

Enjoy. :)

-don

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    spyhawk36, Eddie, Rollmeaway and 3 others like this.
  7. theflow

theflow Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2017
    Palmetto,FL
    I just read in the local paper that Disney is raising prices.

VealCutlet, Eddie and Rollmeaway like this.
  8. theflow

theflow Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2017
    Palmetto,FL
    According to the article their sales are up .

9. mkt3000

mkt3000 Squier-holic

Jan 23, 2012
    Miami
    Thank god for annual passes ;)

Huh, I read that their sales are flat and slipping.

10. Gloveberg

Gloveberg Squier-holic

Aug 30, 2015
    West Texas
    Gibson has made so many stumbles over the past 5 or so years it's amazing they haven't folded already. It wasn't specifically the Min E Tune but the fact that they made it STANDARD over their entire 2015 line. Add to that the Zero Fret adjustable nut and a few other unwanted changes then charge more for it and yet they wonder why they flopped? Basically they said, "They buy them no matter what we do" and the consumer market pretty much shot them the big middle finger.

Another fault was making Gibson a "lifestyle"brand. T-shirts, mugs, underwear and oh yeah somewhere in there some overpriced guitars. Spreading the Gibson name and brand became more important that making good guitars.

Then the prices.....I'm sorry but average musicians and every day Joe's don't buy $3000 LP's every year. Throw in the Reissues and Custom Shop models and the total racks up in a hurry!!

They really shot themselves in the foot then reloaded. Always sad to see this happen because the employees will suffer, not upper management.

so1om, Eddie, duceditor and 1 other person like this.
  11. Gloveberg

Gloveberg Squier-holic

Aug 30, 2015
    West Texas
    Sales are only on an uptick due to the high discounting to move them out the door. When that's over it'll fall off a cliff.

Eddie, Rollmeaway and Photobug57 like this.
  12. LDS714

LDS714 Squier-Meister

Oct 23, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    Oh man. Selling the Valley Arts building means moving the Repair and Restoration department. Believe it or not, that's going to interrupt a revenue stream that has a fairly decent margin.

VealCutlet and Rollmeaway like this.
  13. mkt3000

mkt3000 Squier-holic

Jan 23, 2012
    Miami
    So a similar situation as the big three prior to the recession, where no one would pay even close to sticker on American cars.

VealCutlet likes this.
  14. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    My boss: "Why do we always shoot ourselves in the foot?"

Me: "Because you never change where are you aiming."

If they go out of business? eh.. Big deal. LOTS of big and prestigious companies have gone out of business. Bands break up, people die, companies die, life goes on....

That "lifestyle" end of the business is an interesting thing. It saved Harley-Davidson. And in an oddly similarly different world, in Chicago there is Scooterworks. In the early 2000s they were the primary distributer for vintage scooter parts for the entire country supplying all other shops. They had the buying power, owned tooling, distribution abilities -everything. Yet for all the 7 or 8 million they made a year with parts, that was nothing compared to the 15+millon in mugs, t-shirts, key fobs they'd sell. That's a lotta tchotchkes!

I know if there was an official Squier shirt, I'd snag one for sure. Yet I own a few vintage Gibsons... eh.. never crossed my mind to get one of those.

They continually offer over-priced guitars. I have no idea how they cost THAT much more than top of the line Fenders even if we just add materials and costs together. Their quality control blows. The entry level is looks like "just entering high school wood shop class". They have shills like Joe Bonermassive with a new signature guitar every week. The whole thing has been laughable for a long time.

They've been running on fumes a long time.

Eddie and VealCutlet like this.
  15. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    A line to be remembered! Love it! :)

-don

Eddie likes this.
  16. LDS714

LDS714 Squier-Meister

Oct 23, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    Gibson won't go away. The name itself has enough value that someone will end up owning it and putting it on products, just like has been done with brands like Supro or Indian Motorcycles.

My fear is that production will be taken off-shore with new ownership. Love or hate Henry, he's stayed true to Gibsons being American-made. We have to at least give him some credit for that. He could have taken a lot of the production off-shore and cranked out a lot of high-margin product, but hasn't. I respect that. A lot.

I know a lot of people who dislike Henry, and without a doubt many of them have rational reasons for doing so. But in the limited dealings I've had with him, he's always been cool to me. He's loaned me some nice instruments, and always paid the band fairly when we've performed for Gibson functions.

I'd love to so Dobro spun off and brought back on shore. The people at OMI (who Gibson bought them from) were always good to do business with.

Same with Tobias, and several other brands who've been swallowed up and basically shuttered.

spyhawk36 likes this.
  17. dtsreiuqs

dtsreiuqs Squier-Meister

Oct 18, 2015
    France
    I've been told in late 2016 by a salesman from Duesenberg that Thomann holds a stock of no less than 13000 Gibsons guitars :eek:... While our local dealer (as many others) stopped for years to work with Gibson when they wanted him to hold a 100 000 Euros stock - moreover with models partly imposed - to continue business with him ! Cherchez l'erreur... :confused::confused::confused:

A+!

Photobug57 likes this.
  18. LDS714

LDS714 Squier-Meister

Oct 23, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    I believe it. This is why you don't see any small stores carrying Gibson.

dtsreiuqs and Photobug57 like this.
  19. dtsreiuqs

dtsreiuqs Squier-Meister

Oct 18, 2015
    France
    Yes. And Fender is in a similar attitude with the small dealers too. My music-shopkeeper pal can sell new Squiers and new Gretsches, but only used Fenders and Gibson (via consignments, trades...)

A+!

20. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    It is really a shame that so many companies feel forced to take this route. Well, I assume that they do. (They could, I suppose, just be being run by greedy bass turds.)

This story has struck some deep chords with me. "Gibson" was more than a label on a headstock. It was more comparative to a "brand" like Harley-Davidson -- a company with a history and a very distinct style.

Political comparisons, too, came to mind. Enough so that I just wrote a piece exploring that aspect for American Thinker. (Not, obviously, for discussion here, as forum rules and decorum make very clear)

Silly perhaps, butI'm still hoping for some sort of a miracle. Maybe the guitar making portion -- that which used to be the whole enterprise -- spun off. Bought up. Whatever it takes to keep it alive.

-don

Pat V., VealCutlet and Photobug57 like this.