Gibson LP bridge and pickup set up issues

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Oldguitarguy, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Oldguitarguy

Oldguitarguy Squier-Meister

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj
    4825C1A9-470A-43DE-BD4E-95762EC616A5.jpeg 44F9B288-3D03-4A1E-A27F-2D54A5FF36AA.jpeg 569B18D2-E333-4BB5-B5D7-51B298A70AAB.jpeg I started asking questions on another thread about solving the problem of strings hitting the back of the bridge and got a lot of good ideas and good advice. Some from @DrBeGood and @Birddog144. Since I thought of a specific application and some other problems I opened a new thread to get some specific advice. Here are the problems with this Gibson LP Studio 50’s Tribute with P90’s: 1) the 6th string hits the back of the bridge, 2) the strings buzz and sound tinty (GHS Boomers 10-46), 3) the treble volume is either low or nonexistent sometimes. Should I overwrap the stop bar, or raise the stop bar and use spacers? Any suggestions on the height of the P90’s? I know the obvious general answer is a good set-up but any specific suggestions? Would Gibson Humbuckers fit in the pickup well if I switched them out?

dbrian66 likes this.
  2. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    1 -- Wrap the strings around .

2. -- humbuckers won't fit.

dbrian66, drewcp, Big tuna and 4 others like this.
  3. Birddog144

Birddog144 Squier-holic

Apr 24, 2015
    South Oceanside, CA
    These are not the same spacers I saw on that Gibson stop bar, but it's the same concept. http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148356&icep_item=271718317583 I like this approach, as you can tighten down the screws fully and eliminate some structural issues. Otherwise just top wrap and be done with it.

As for the imbalance, try lowering the bass side of the pickups for starters. When the string is fretted at the last fret, you should have AT LEAST 1/16" from the string to the pole on the neck pickup, and preferably more, especially on the heavier strings. YMMV. I do the neck pickup first and get it to where I like it, then do the bridge to match the output. Again, YMMV. Each pole is adjustable, don't be afraid to tweak the pole screws until you get a good balance across the strings.

4. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    I don't see how spacers would prevent bushings from being pulled forward. The problem is never the post, it's always the bushings burying themselves sideways in the wood. I say top wrap.

You don't want humbuckers in that guitar. Once you find the P90 sweet spot, you'll wonder what the heck you were thinking.

Your neck pup is way too high. P90 pups are real sensitive to height. Too low they sound thin, too high they can be ice pick or boomy. Here's how I adjust them and I haven't yet tried a set I didn't like.

Here's how I do it.

I set the bridge pickup (measured at the pole) height to about two credit card thickness distance from bottom of strings (1/8" or ±3mm). No closer, or magnets will dampen sustain. If it sounds good, I leave it there. Too hot for you ? ½ turn of each screw at a time to lower it where I want it. Check it clean AND with overdrive. Once I have that one at the sweet spot, I go to the neck.

Neck tone has to be different from middle position. Many people have neck pup adjusted so it gives the same tonality as middle position. Not good. Neck pup has to be adjusted so middle position gets a quacky tone, kinda Strat like. You'll know what I mean when you get there.

So, I raise the neck pup until it starts to sound boomy. Notes will seem to be overwhelmed with too much bass. Now lower it a full screw turn and compare it to middle. If it sounds the same, it is still too high. I go on until I hear three different balanced tones out of the three switch positions.

Take your time, it's worth it. Do it a second time to make sure you really found their sweet spot. That's a fun adjustment and it is by far the cheapest modification you can do to a guitar and probably the one that has the most drastic effect on tone.

dbrian66, Dave M, Rat cam 68 and 3 others like this.
  5. RetiredNSquired

RetiredNSquired Squier-holic

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    THIS! I set my P90s using this method, really nails it.

dbrian66 and DrBeGood like this.
  6. glmino

glmino Squier Talker

Nov 11, 2018
    MidWest
    Just looking, How high would the Tailpiece/Stopbar need to go???

Mike

dbrian66 likes this.
  7. Oldguitarguy

Oldguitarguy Squier-Meister

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj
    Probably just a few mm’s.

dbrian66 likes this.
  8. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I’m not sure why you wouldn’t just raise the stop bar a little. That’s how I do mine. Set the action with the bridge, and then adjust the tailpiece until the strings come off the bridge. I thought that’s how you were supposed to do it.

glmino, DrBeGood and so1om like this.
  9. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    I top wrap the strings to prevent string breakage but also.. I have next to nothing for break angle. Like a 1/2 degree, the bare minimum.

DrBeGood and dbrian66 like this.
  10. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    so why don't you do that?

dbrian66 likes this.
  11. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    What's the point of spacers?

12. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Yeah, I get that some people like the feel of top wrapping. I’ve never tried it to be honest, but if you don’t want to too wrap, why not just raise the tailpiece?

so1om likes this.
  13. cool gouhl

cool gouhl Squier-Nut

Dec 4, 2014
    Cincinnati
    Keep in mind top wrapping the strings will mess up the finish on the tailpiece. That's why I don't generally top wrap. If it doesn't have to raise much I would just raise the tailpiece, I mean after all thats why it's adjustable. If it has to go far, spacers might be a way to go. And if you don't care about the finish on the tailpiece, top wrap.

glmino and dbrian66 like this.
  14. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
  15. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    I too don't see what spacers are supposed to do.

As for messing up the finish on the tailpiece, I do it on all my TOM equipped guitars and I have yet to see any damage. And ... if it ever did scratch the finish, the only time you'd see it is when you change your strings.

Top wrap rules !

bridge.jpg
    2019.jpg

cool gouhl, so1om and dbrian66 like this.
  16. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Mine is exactly like the top pic. barely/there.

dbrian66 and DrBeGood like this.
  17. DJGranite

DJGranite Squier-holic

Feb 7, 2012
    maine
    I raised the tailpiece on my Les Paul when I first set it up over 30 years ago. As said earlier in the thread, that is why it is mounted on adjustable screws and not just screwed down permanently to the body.
    I have been told by self proclaimed experts how this will cause problems.
    I am still waiting for the problems to start.....
    you will lose sustain.... nope, best sustaining guitar I have.
    It will sound thin and weak, again, nope.
    The bridge/bushings will lean forward, guess what... Nope.
    but... After I raised the tailpiece I still have plenty of break angle, the strings no longer hit the back of the bridge, resulting in less "extra" noises, I can't remember the last time I broke a string, and considerably less tension on the strings making it even easier to play.
    Still waiting for the downside.

mkgearhead, dbrian66 and so1om like this.
  18. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Here are both of my Gibson’s. I was always told to set the bridge height and then adjust the tailpiece as low as possible without the strings touching the bridge. I have a LP type project coming up, I might give top wrapping a try with that one.

2FA83145-8388-42BF-9186-6FF31AA07E2C.jpeg

20949CC6-D2E5-4BB7-A717-3B02F18AD930.jpeg

19. fuelish

fuelish Squier-Nut

Granted, am only speaking for my Epi LP, and my string height is likely higher than many folks', but I have no problems of any string touching the back of the bridge with my stopbar screwed down to the body. Go figure. Once upon a time I contemplated top wrapping to see what the hype is about, but when it comes to string change time, just never felt the need

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice