Gibson Lab Series L5 Amplifier

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by porkpie, Mar 21, 2019.

1. porkpie

porkpie Squier-holic

Mar 16, 2015
    Idaho
    Does anyone here have a Lab series amp? Just wondering what your opinions are, I've heard mostly good things, the closest SS amp to a tube amp? I know this was BB Kings amp of choice so that's a pretty good recommendation I suppose.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  2. jskeen

jskeen Squier-holic

Feb 9, 2016
    Texas
    I've worked on a couple of them and their big brother the L7 . They are all rock solid, built like a tank and generally have aged well, with no major "time bomb" parts that have a known tendency to fail. In General they get super loud, stay clean, but take pedals very well. Do they "sound good"? That depends on what you are looking for. They have very wide range control circuits, and can be adjusted to give a nice smooth gain/frequency curve with just about any guitar, without tendency to muffle out or overgain any specific tonal characteristics.

From a players perspective, I'm told that they are very flexible, but not really easy to "dial in?", If you have a specific tone in mind, you can probably get there with one, but just to walk up, plug in, start playing and think "This thing sounds great, that's the sound I've been searching for!" is probably unlikely. I've had a couple of players say "it's not a beginners amp" quite specifically.

They are not a "bucket list" type amp, from what I have seen and heard. It's not like a twin reverb or a JCM800, where you are paying for name recognition, or cool factor, more of a workhorse tool that you don't see everyday.

YMMV, of course.

Kenneth Mountain and porkpie like this.
  3. porkpie

porkpie Squier-holic

Mar 16, 2015
    Idaho
    Thanks jskeen for your input, I have a chance to get one pretty cheap, around $100 or so. I don't really need anything that big, just thought it was a cool vintage amp.

4. Photobug57

Photobug57 Squier-Meister

Jan 11, 2018
    Hebron, KY
    Had a friend that played an L7 with a Strat. He was big on the built in compressor. And I do have to admit, it sounded awesome. Of course, he was an awesome picker too. Miss him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. ksandbergfl

ksandbergfl Squier-Meister

Sep 7, 2015
    My favorite band is King's X. Ty Tabor's "Gretchen Tone" was achieved using a Fender Strat Elite thru a Lab Series L5. He claims he never used any distortion/overdrive effects, just a boost pedal to overdrive the amp circuitry itself.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice