Gibson Lab Series L5 - $300 a good price?

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by ksandbergfl, Jan 11, 2020.

1. ksandbergfl

ksandbergfl Squier-Meister

Sep 7, 2015
    Local music shop has this late 1970’s L5 for $300... in near mint condition... wondering what experience any of you guys have had with one... I believe these are mildly “collectible” and relatively “rare”
    5C9674C7-EE2D-4248-BF83-AA73A6DA94C6.jpeg

Rat cam 68 and Mr Bones like this.
  2. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    They were the choice of The King of the Blues!

3. jskeen

jskeen Squier-holic

Feb 9, 2016
    Texas
    The Lab series are very high quality build amps with great tone and flexibility to do things that two or even 3 simpler amps may not match between them. Bulletproof electronics and cabinet construction. They aren't light though. It's a back breaker even on casters.

With all the kudos for tone and flexibility, however, it's not a simple or intuitive amp to operate or get those special tones out of. If you end up with it, take the time to find and read through the manual and maybe even some specific settings profiles to get used to it. Let us know if it works for you, and why.

Mr Bones likes this.
  4. Paruwi

Paruwi Squier-Meister

Apr 28, 2019
    Germany
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  5. Paruwi

Paruwi Squier-Meister

Apr 28, 2019
    Germany
    and B.B.King approved
    [​IMG]

6. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    That’s pretty steep for one of those. I just sold mine (after getting a fender Twin) this last summer for $180.

7. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Owned ... Incredible machine, but it was too much of an amp for me. That thing is as loud and as clean as a Twin Reverb !

$300 is in the upper range for the price of that amp, but it's worth it if that's what you're looking for.

Paruwi likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice