Ghost Riders in the Sky - 1956

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Dr Improbable, Apr 17, 2019 at 5:58 AM.

1. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Squier-holic

Apr 4, 2015
    Wisconsin
    The Lawrence Welk Show. I'm assuming this is Buddy Merrill(?)

2. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    Wow this brings some memories...
    When I first told my dad I wanted a guitar, he agreed on the condition that I learned how to play THIS song. Seeing as how all I wanted to play was Motley Crue and Scorpions songs... :p

3. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Neil Le Vang on the guitar!

Dig it!!

4. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-Nut

Nov 24, 2018
    Crappie fishing.
  5. -r3-

-r3- Squier-Meister

Jan 28, 2016
    ... tank you, boyce.....

Wow, I just remember The Lawrence Welk Show as signalling a time in the evening my granddad would take over the TV when I was visiting and I would get super bored with it....

6. -r3-

-r3- Squier-Meister

Jan 28, 2016
    What's up w that? Outtakes of the band warming up? Cool!

7. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    My wife and I were Welk fans but not the kids..Now after all these years I can see why they didn't like it..

duceditor, five teles, so1om and 2 others like this.
  8. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Old style, with heavy strings and no bending, just "classical vibrato". It's almost certainly a wound G string.

I suffered through a lot of Larry's shows because that's what my parents watched, but occasionally there would be something fun to hear.

9. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Squier-holic

Apr 4, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Heh, like this???

10. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Yes, that's a classic alright. :) I used to like Arthur Duncan and Larry Hooper in particular. If one of them was on, I'd pay attention.

SquierTap and five teles like this.
  11. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    There are a log of great videos of Buddy Merrill and Neil Levang playing. Let's not forget they played a lot of prototype Fenders and did lots of sessions. Like Neil on Witchita Lineman and Beach Boys....

12. five teles

five teles Squier-Nut

Oct 27, 2014
    shoals alabama
    Neil and Buddy were awesome! Watch them play Santa Antonio Rose. . The strat and telecaster sound amazing. I'm guessing they were playing through twin reverb amps with jbl speakers. But that's just my opinionated best guess lol. I don't know how to link video to S.T. sorry if I'm lazy for not adding link.

so1om likes this.
  13. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I, rather oddly I suppose, wasn't exposed to this type of programming in my youth. My parents were into classical music, Gilbert and Sullivan operettas and American musical theater such as South Pacific. Only when I got to know Jan's family did I even really learn that this "stuff" existed. -And, alas, that is how I viewed it. Then came exposure to Hee Haw and lots more.

Time and life have, of course, tempered by views somewhat. "Low brow" it may have been, but there was plenty of good musicianship on display as well.

But no, I don't find myself looking for the reruns. Bach and Beethoven is still my listening of choice. And some people find that odd for an old rocker with no personal classical gifts or pretensions.

-don

SquierTap and Triple Jim like this.
  14. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Crazy thing, My kids give me funny looks and comments when they "catch" me listening to classical music..

15. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    I guess that I was one of the small minority of teens that really liked that show. I just liked music, all music. They had really talented musicians and singers on that show. Like most teen boys at the time, I had a huge crush on Janet Lennon.

SquierTap likes this.
  16. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Really, REALLY cool... Thanks for postin, man... Love this...

17. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Lol..
    Dude! I actually lawl'd... At the first organ part, after I "got it"...

so1om likes this.
  18. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    I swear he said "Dick Dale" and I was like, "Oh yeah!"... But it was NOT Dick Dale "King Of Surf Guitar"...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice