GFS shorty trem block - brass vs. steel

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by ecoli, Mar 13, 2018.

1. ecoli

ecoli Squier-Meister

Feb 26, 2013
    Canada
    Browsing through GFS and I noticed they now offer strat trem blocks for Squiers with thinner bodies. I ordered an upgraded trem back in the day when they were only full length, so it sticks out the back of the guitar, so the short ones are great!

Also noticed they have them in both brass and steel. Unfortunately, brass is out of stock, so I was curious for those who have tried both, is it worth waiting for the brass ones to come back in stock, or should I just go with the steel one? My current trem block is steel, so I'm sure the tone/sustain would be similar, but if the brass ones really offer something more, I'm willing to wait.

2. It's my understanding that brass has a "warmer" tone, and steel more brilliant. Perhaps someone has both on a similar guitars that can verify what is commonly believed.
    Cheers, Barrie.

dbrian66 likes this.
  3. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    Make sure that GFS block has the trem arm threaded hole in the same location as your bridge. I have one of the brass ones I pulled from a mystery box and the hole is offset from Squier and MIM bridges.

Las Palmas Norte likes this.
  4. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    I used to get a brass block trem for every Strat I owned. A friend of my dad’s, has a metal working shop, so I’d have him trim the blocks so they didn’t stick out the back on thin bodies. I read their ad and thought, “hm, brass=warmer, that sounds good to me,” until one time they were out of brass ones and I had to finish the guitar quickly. So I went with steel on that one, and honestly I couldn’t hear much (if any) difference. It did sound better than the small stock bridge, but after that I would get either material and not worry about it.
    I’m not saying it absolutely doesn’t make a difference, just to my old, scarred up ears I don’t think I could tell the difference if I was blindfolded...
    now if someone made fulcrum blocks out of Depleted Uranium, maybe that would sound different!

ecoli, ElRey67 and Las Palmas Norte like this.
  5. And ... not all Squier bridge plates are the same.
    Cheers, Barrie.

Afrika61 and ElRey67 like this.
  6. ecoli

ecoli Squier-Meister

Feb 26, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Sounds like a steel block would probably work just fine.

The bridge is a GFS bridge on this as well (import version) so I would hope the trem blocks line up! Wouldn't be the worst case if they didn't, I don't use the trem arm on this guitar. If I could buy a block that filled up the whole cavity I would!

7. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-Nut

I went that route with the steel shorty block and found that it still stuck out the back of a GFS ash body(the add claimed that the body would fit the full sized blocks so I assumed that the shorty blocks would fit without issue) and had problems. DSCF0998.JPG

The shorty block was supposed to be 39mm but it's more like 41mm. When mounted with a GFS plate the holes closest to the beveled edge of the plate are 1.2mm closer to the beveled edge which in turn moved the entire assembly closer to the towards the wide end of the body. That may not sound like much but the block was soo close to the wall of the trem hole that it had no room to move back and the guitar effectively became a hard tail. The shorty block can be made to work but it would likely have to be mounted on a plate from something like an SE: I've done that with the two blocks above and they finally worked like they were supposed to.
    GFS stuff may be cheaper but it's usually hit and miss with their product and you have to modify it anyway to make it work/fit. I just finished an ash bodied Strat made almost entirely from stuff in the GFS catalog and all the pieces needed work.

Attached Files:

8. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-Nut

One more just for comparison:
    DSCF1009.JPG

9. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    Ugh. I used to like stuff from there, but it seems like it’s getting cheaper every time I order something. And not in a good way.

Afrika61 likes this.
  10. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-Nut