General consensus on the Squier Contemporary Tele?

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by squierTony, Jan 24, 2020.

1. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Thinking about these today but never played one. I know they're going around $250 used. Are they any good or worth putting a little money into? Maybe a pickup swap if they're not that good?

drewcp likes this.
  2. elfnub

elfnub Squier Talker

Oct 15, 2019
    SE OHIO, USA
    It's my future dream guitar, so I hope it's good :D

drewcp likes this.
  3. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I want one !!!

Brocephus, Robb and drewcp like this.
  4. Jsjr

Jsjr Squier Talker

Jan 11, 2017
    Los Angeles
    I bought the white one and put the EMG 81/85 set into it. The 12 inch radius and jumbo frets are nice. My only complaint is that it weighs as much as a ton of bricks.

Brocephus, B Stock and drewcp like this.
  5. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    PU's I've heard universally are bad and muddy - they're a different pickup altogether than the Contemporary Strat HH

Brocephus and drewcp like this.
  6. jamndad

jamndad Squier-holic

Nov 23, 2013
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    I like mine, just fine. I like the pickups, too. Not on par with CV, but they're nice.

Brocephus likes this.
  7. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    Here are 2 videos that give a comparison, first the Tele, then the Strat which he says is far better in quality/fit/finish/tone......

Brocephus likes this.
  8. mitch_cumsteen

mitch_cumsteen Squier-Meister

Jun 25, 2018
    Planet, Idaho
    I agree with the guy's review in the video above. I played one (the same HH Tele he's reviewing) at a pawn shop and was really disappointed in how cheap it felt. If I hadn't known better, I would've put it at the bottom of the Squier hierarchy, not in the middle. The Bullet and Affinity models I've tried felt a lot better.

I did just notice in the video that it's got a belly cut, which is pretty cool, blasphemous, but cool.

Brocephus likes this.
  9. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    I'm gonna check em out I guess...

10. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier-Nut

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas
    I had a white Tele. The bodies are made of poplar (or were, a couple of years ago). Mine was light. I changed the pups because the ceramic ones that came in it were junk. I eventually sold it because the neck is too narrow, 41.0 mm I think.

Brocephus likes this.
  11. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I played the CAR one yesterday, and it felt really nice. It was a pretty chunky neck but it felt really good. I could feel the edge of the skunk stripe, but it didn't bother me. Great fretwork, no sharp frets ends, the tummy cut made it the most comfortable Tele I've ever played. It must have been tuned down because it was easier to bend than any other guitar I've ever played, but with no buzzing. It was nice and light. An Affinity Tele felt like a boat anchor in comparison. The bridge and middle poaitions sounded good, but the neck pickup was uninspiring. That, and the unfinished maple board, and the fact that it's a Tele and has no vibrato, were the only things keeping me from taking it home. But, I decided I need to try the Strat first and they didn't have one. I don't know if they all are, but this one was a CY serial number.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    Brocephus likes this.
  12. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    What a moron. He's trying to put a right angle plug in a Strat recessed jack. DUH! Why does it seem that so many Brits are a bit thick? Is it the lack of sunshine?

B Stock likes this.
  13. B Stock

B Stock Squier Talker

Feb 6, 2020
    left coast
    :eek:OUCH!.......o_O

14. B Stock

B Stock Squier Talker

Feb 6, 2020
    left coast
    that sounds exciting , entertaining.
    only really being familiar with Dimarzio pickups
    I have not a clue with the EMG 81/85 SET.
    I guess everyone has heard them through high gain amps
    how are the when it comes to pristine clean tones?
    Thanks.

15. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    VealCutlet, AllroyPA, jamndad and 2 others like this.
  16. jamndad

jamndad Squier-holic

Nov 23, 2013
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    I liked the pickups, from day one, clean and crunchy. They like to be cranked, imho.

Mr Bones likes this.
  17. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    I ended up buying a Les Paul. That was the direction I was going but wanted a Squier but these just couldn't get there in the end.

drewcp likes this.
  18. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-holic

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    There are some photos/videos of me on the web playing a Strat with a right angle plug...My IQ test scores have consistently been between 85-95 so that's at least 15 points higher than "moron". :)

19. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    But the difference is that you didn't have a problem getting it into the jack on your Strat, lol.

VealCutlet likes this.
  20. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-holic

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    I'll leave to everyone's imagination the PG-13 metaphor there that's beyond the "Hard-G" standards of this forum.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice