Gathering parts for FSR Tele mods, advise requested.

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by Smith357, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Smith357

Smith357 Squier-Meister

Apr 30, 2017
    ohio
    I picked up one of them thar sparkly bullets a while ago and have begun searching for parts. I am going to hold off on doing any work until I get all the parts, I only want to take it apart once.

I have already ordered a pearl pick guard and roller trees, I have also have gathered the tools needed for a neck level and dress on my work bench.

I am picking up a Tusq nut, pots, cap, switch, jack and strings today from my local guitar pusher

I was wondering about pickups and which ones will give a nice vintage tone without breaking the bank. There are so many to choose from.

The stock tuners work well, but will the Ping drop in locking tuners give me anything on a hard tail other than fast string changes?

And what are your thoughts on painting the head stock black and putting on a silver Squire Bullet decal?

[​IMG]

2. nicod98

nicod98 Squier-Nut

Jul 9, 2014
    Belgium
    I would restrict myself to nut, electronics, pickups and fret dress/setup.

Sometimes you find people selling their CV pickups. Cheap and great sounding!

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  3. MadJack

MadJack Squier Talker

Dec 26, 2018
    Candler, FL
    For Pickups, have you looked at Bootstrap Pickups T-Style Pups?

Personally, I like the Stock Pups so far. I did have to play with the height adjustment to find the sweet spot for me.

Kenneth Mountain and fattboyzz like this.
  4. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-Meister

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas Coast
    I like GFS (guitar fetish) pickups. get them on ebay.
    If I painted the headstock, I would match the paint.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  5. MadJack

MadJack Squier Talker

Dec 26, 2018
    Candler, FL
    I didn't get to finish this post yesterday, as I got pulled away for other things.

Like I said above, as of this time, I'm keeping the stock electronics, it sounds good to me stock.

I have a set of Fender/Ping Stock tuners and a set of Gotoh Chrome plated brass saddles from another project, that went unused.

I did order a Mint Green Pickguard and a TUSQ XL nut.

I haven't checked the frets with the fret rocker yet, but it seems like I may only need to touch up a couple frets. Other than that, I'm going to polish the frets and do a more complete setup, as I've only roughed in the setup.

Squier Bullet Tele.jpg

6. RetiredNSquired

RetiredNSquired Squier-Nut

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    I like these pickups a lot. Nice, beefy Tele tone, without being dirty sounding Also, They are apparently made by the same folks who do Classic Vibe pups. The specs are almost identical. Probably using these on my upcoming build.
    http://www.tonerider.com/hot-classics

7. nicod98

nicod98 Squier-Nut

Jul 9, 2014
    Belgium
    The VB CV has pickups very much like the Tonerider Hot Classics TRT2-models
    All other CVs have the more vintage spec pickups, very similar to the Tonerider Vintage Plus TRT1-pickups.
    I prefer the hotter ones too...
    I just wish Squier would make a 60s style dark green (british racing green, not the Affinity race green metallic) or bright red Classic Vibe tele (no binding) with TRT3 alike pickups.

8. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    Actually, locking tuners give you nothing other than faster string changes on any guitar. Really how long does it take to change strings with any tuners? Is there that much of a hurry when doing so? Not for me.

9. Smith357

Smith357 Squier-Meister

Apr 30, 2017
    ohio
    I ordered some GFS Alnico pickups and will start this project very soon. Going to forgo tuners and any paint.

duggerh and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  10. Smith357

Smith357 Squier-Meister

Apr 30, 2017
    ohio
    All my parst came in and my FRS Sparklecaster is complete...for now.

List of mods, besides the Basic setup,

Frets leveled dressed and polished, The level was good from the factory but a few of the ends needed rounding and they all needed a good polish. Fret Board got three coats of pure Tung oil.

Installed CTS pots and orange drop caps, treble bleed mod, GFS Vintage alnico pickups, switchcraft jack with Jack cup and flipped the control plate.

Bone nut, D'addario 11s, Loxx Strap locks and a pearl guard

[​IMG]

11. Cobra

Cobra Squier-Meister

Mar 8, 2018
    Florida
    I’m diggin’ the pearl guard.
    I have one of these as well and have just started to gather some parts. The all maple neck should be at the house by Monday (Thanks to Johnnybloo13 BTW) and the all black single ply pickguard is already there. Then I’m thinking a graftech nut and roller trees next.
    I’m curious though, why did you flip the control plate?

12. Smith357

Smith357 Squier-Meister

Apr 30, 2017
    ohio
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Cobra, duggerh and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  13. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-Meister

Nov 24, 2018
    Lost in my Sticks
    Exactly how my Tele is set up. V, T, Switch

14. fenderzombie

fenderzombie Squier-Meister

Nov 24, 2014
    oregon
    Where did you get the pick guard?

15. Smith357

Smith357 Squier-Meister

Apr 30, 2017
    ohio
  16. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Dr. Squier

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Sweet ! Nice work ! Congrats !

Smith357 and duggerh like this.
  17. arblemob

arblemob Squier Talker

Apr 30, 2018
    New Jersey

18. arblemob

arblemob Squier Talker

Apr 30, 2018
    New Jersey

19. arblemob

arblemob Squier Talker

Apr 30, 2018
    New Jersey
    I'd love to know what bone nut you found to fit. I wasn't able to find anything wide enough for the slot that was tall enough.

20. Smith357

Smith357 Squier-Meister

Apr 30, 2017
    ohio
    My local guitar pusher has a large parts cabinet with drawers full of knobs, switches, springs, and one full of Fender style nuts, the bone ones cost about 6 bucks. I had to do a little light sanding to get it to fit.